Training a double back off rings w/o pit rings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
I think my one level 8 guy is ready to start learning double-backs off rings, but I'm not sure how best to teach them without pit rings. When I was learning, I basically just chucked it on pit rings until it felt good enough to do it on a mat.

Any pointers?

Make sure he can do them on a tramp. Also, have him do a bunch of back tucks out of a support on the rings. This will give him an idea of how high the second flip should be. Beyond that....I don't really know.

I learned them into a pit, also.

Any gyms in the area that you can take him to?

When I first started coaching my first gym didn't have a very good vaulting situation for teaching high level vaults. I called up a few local gyms that and talked with the owners and worked it out that we could come in once or twice a month and work vault.

Any gyms in the area that you can take him to?

When I first started coaching my first gym didn't have a very good vaulting situation for teaching high level vaults. I called up a few local gyms that and talked with the owners and worked it out that we could come in once or twice a month and work vault.

Great idea...it's always good to have friends at other clubs.

How about trying...

How about trying to do a back 1 and a 1/4 onto a cheese mat and then backwards roll down the cheese mat? Kind of breaks the skill up but i guess it could give the feeling of a continuation of a somersault safely...you would have to slide the cheese mat under the rings however as i am sure that the childs legs would hit it if it were under the rings when he was swinging.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back