New compulsory music for USAG L1-6 with video walk through.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

BlairBob

:: USA Gymnastics :: Women's Artistic Gymnastics

While I like some of the new themes in the L5 and L6, I still find it a bit choppy to me. I do like the L6 more but perhaps I'm so used to the old music ( I like the L6 music and can deal with the L5 music grudgingly ) I don't like some of the pauses and I wouldn't want to teach the L4 music to L4 compared to the old music ( even if I'm sick of it ).

Of course the L1-3 music is all baby/kinder music. Bleh.

Why does everything under L6 have to be so bleh?

The level 6 is the only one that i like...but (i am a level 6) i still like the old level 6 music better because i have already learned the routine with the music, so i know when to do what if you know what i mean. It's like i have learned all the cues for the leap, prance steps, ect. I agree, the new music isn't as good as the old music, but it might just be because i am already "attached" to the old music.

This is more about the routines in general, but I hate how in the level 1 routine the cartwheel starts and ends sideways and in level 2 it starts sideways. I prefer just to teach them starting and ending in a lunge from the beginning.

The basic cartwheel is from the side or side lunge or step to side. Go look at a wheel on a cart.

Going from a lunge requires a 1/4 turn in and out of, thus it's more complicated. It also does not solve the issue of kicking over the top.

It might be a little harder to learn initially, but I just think it's better in the long run. And I personally find the kick over the top to be easier to teach from a lunge as well. It's just personal opinion though, probably just has more to do with what I was taught as a gymnast and what I am personally more comfortable with.

We don't use the Level 1 & 2 music so I have no opinion there, but I must say I like the new Level 3 and Level 4 for younger gymnasts. The nuances of when to hit certain spots are better this year for a younger child just learning to listen to music cues to adapt to. Love the chimes to finish for Level 3. Great for the 5 and 6 year olds. We will be using the new music for these levels. There is only one spot I'm having a hard time finding the cue for in the Level 4 and that is the stand up, kick (leg lift), weight transfer turn, finish. The pause seems too long to stand up. I don't think there is much opinion change for either the old or new Level 6 music, I like them both but we will also use the new music for our 6's.

I have some serious issues with the new Level 5 music. I do think there was definitely some slippage with this one. Ich, ich, ich. I don't like the blah key most of the music is written in and they didn't do a very good job of maintaining or clarifying where certain parts "hit". It's not obvious to me at least. Some of my girls say it sounds like a dirge/sad march. We've decided to use the old Level 5 music. At least the old one has the strip tease section to keep our parents entertained :D. I don't teach strip tease to them, but we do shoulder shimmy during the slide-roll-split section for fun at meets on the sidelines. I have a hard time finding when to even smile with the new Level 5 music... blech!

New Level 3:applause:
New Level 4 :thumbsup:
New Level 5 :no::vomit:
New Level 6 :cheerful:

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep on hearing the L5 music being referred to as strip tease, maybe it's just my male opinion vs parental opinion. Would you prefer the quaddrenium's before L5 routine and music.

*GAG* :rolleyes:

I can not believe how awful the new level 5 music is! It sounds so disjointed. It really has no musicality! All it seems to be is a lot of notes scrambled together. Very disappointed! :mad::confused::scratchchin:

I don't like the new music . Maybe it's because I'm so used to the old. I think the old music was a little more upbeat (not sure if that's the word I' m wanting) just prefer the older version!!!

So far, a lot of our kids have said they liked the old music lately.

I'm thinking the choppiness will have them miss when they should be at what part of the routines and such.

I am not a fan of the new music. The only one I like a little bit is Level 6 though our HC ordered the new music and played it at practice - the two team coaches like the new level 4 but not the level 6. I agree about the old music having more pep - the new stuff just sounds like someone playing at a piano recital.

How do you know which one to get there are like 3 different options. My daughter will be starting level 4 next year hopefully and it would be nice to hear the music and see what the steps are.

Women's JO Compulsory Music CD 2005-2013 (ORIGINAL VERSION)

Item Number: 2110
Price: $15.00

Original Version – can be used from 2005-2013. One of two official compulsory music CDs for Levels 1 through 6 includes 3 versions of the floor music: a. the music alone, b. the music accompanied by verbal cues to assist in the coordination of the routine with the music, c. the music accompanied with measured beats to assist in development of the timing of the routine.

Women's JO Compulsory Program Floor Exercise Music CD 2009-2013 (NEW VERSION)

Item Number: 2111
Price: $15.00

New Version- published in May 2009 and valid through 2013. The second of two official compulsory music CDs for Levels 1 through 6 includes 2 versions of the floor music: a.) the competitive music alone and b.) the music accompanied by verbal cues to assist in the coordination of the routine with the music.

Women's JO Compusulsory Program Floor Exercise Music 2 CD bundle

Item Number: 2112
Price: $25.00

This bundle includes both available Women's J.O. Compulsory Floor Music CDs for the 2005-2013 cycle (items # 2110 and 2111). The floor music is for Levels 1-6. CD #1 is the original version (2005-2013) and CD #2 is the new version (2009-2013).

Oooh sorry one more quick question is this one a really good one since it shows you everything? Has anyone ever used this one?

Women's JO Compulsory Program DVD 2005-2013

Item Number: 2106
Price: $30.00

Demonstration of each of Levels 1 through 6 compulsory exercises PLUS supplemental training skills which will aid in the development of ability to perform the skills at the optimum level. Includes slow motion version of each exercise complete with narration. This is an invaluable teaching aid and will assist both the coach and athlete in preparing for competition. For 2005-2013.

How do you know which one to get there are like 3 different options. My daughter will be starting level 4 next year hopefully and it would be nice to hear the music and see what the steps are.
th_dunno-1[1].gif
th_dunno-1[1].gif
Dunno. Try calling the number at the bottom.
th_dunno-1[1].gif
Good luck.

Blazing15-- technically, all three of the CDs are "correct." Teams can use either the old music or the new music. There's really no reason for parents to buy music or supplemental DVDs for their kids to use at home. Trust me, they'll hear the music and do the routine enough at practice.

gymkat, is that what the new vs. old version meant? I thought the versions refer to the specific disk/edition and not the music.

Blazing15, you can also ask the coaches for a copy if you don't have to have the original. If they don't think you need it at home, maybe there is no point in having it like gymkat said.

Ok thanks. I was just looking at it to hear it and see what the cds or dvds was about. I will leave it up to the coaches to teach it to her and do all of the stuff she is suppose to do. I was just curious.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back