Coaches Deduction question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym law mom

Proud Parent
My gymie had her 1st optional meet yesterday and I'm still learning(as is she) all the new stuff about when deductions are taken. Here's what happened. She was on bars and low bar looked fine(maybe a couple tenths off for form). She did a toe circle and jumped to high bar. The grip on her right hand caught on the high bar up by the fingers and she came to a dead stop. Just one of those wacky things. Somehow she managed to regrip and kick into a kip from a dead hang and continued on---2 giants to stuck flyaway. So, how much was taken off for the sudden stop in the routine? Also she said her form in the kip wasn't that great, so we'll assume some tenths off there. Her score after 8.35 with a 10 SV.

In Britain its 0.5& for the dead stop, 0.3 for lack of amplitude and 0.3& for form on the upstart!

not sure if that will help!

it's pretty much the equilvalent to a fall 5 tenths and probably some execution deductions(that's how they get you) which could add up to 3 tenths.

According to FIG (International gymnastics federation) the following things on bars will take the same deduction as a fall - hitting feet on the floor and/or falling to a hang from low or high bar even if the feet to not touch the floor. That would be a 0.8 deduction under FIG but as you are still using the old scoring system out of 10 then it would be a 0.5.

It's possible they've changed it in the last few years (like the last two) but (in USAG) otherwise it was probably .3 rhythm for a stop...but unless she did a kip from a dead hang, there would be an additional .3 deduction for each extra swing. In compulsories it is considered a fall on the apparatus, but for some reason at least it did not use to be in USAG optional. However .3+.3 per swing (for probably more than one swing) is probably more than if you actually took the fall and remounted (understandably you're not analyzing it at the time).

Edited: so for the stop and two or three extra swings it would be 9-12 tenths (I'm not counting execution errors). So two swings: 8.35, 8.65, 8.95, 9.25 and then the rest of the deductions from the 10 SV came from execution, so if it looked to be a pretty good routine otherwise, this is the scenario I'm guessing. Could be way off though, I'm not a L7-8 judge so I don't follow every change or distinction.

Last edited:
gymdog, i'm almost positive you're right. that's how the 7/8 deductions (or how i remember them from my test last week)

yes, she would have most likely gotten a better score by taking the fall, but what she did is a huge mental victory - which for me at least was always more rewarding then a good score

gymdog, i'm almost positive you're right. that's how the 7/8 deductions (or how i remember them from my test last week)

yes, she would have most likely gotten a better score by taking the fall, but what she did is a huge mental victory - which for me at least was always more rewarding then a good score

Okay this is the second really old thread by GLM you have dredged up, why is that???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back