TOPs program, important question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

Jroberson

The team coaches want Joscelyn who is 5 to wait until she is level 7 to actually start competing. They want her to train on the tops program and do the testing until that time. I don't want her to lose interest having to wait until she is at least 7, but the coaches seem to think time spent on the lower levels would be a waste of time for her and want to advance her as quickly and as young as possible I guess. It is flattering that they have "high hopes" for Josc, but I was just wondering what you all thought about it?

Interesting since the competition aspect of the sport adds a totally different element along with ability. For example my Dd can be rock solid and beautiful on beam but you put her in a meet and her legs become jelly lol. At first I didn't understand and asked her coach if she needed private lessons. She laughed and said she has the skill she needs the competition experience. Best to you gymmie and hope she gets to compete. Imho that is also the fun part of all that training :)

I'm looking forward to hearing the coaches. I think a lot depends on your child. I know my dd would have loved just training and not worrying about learning routines at that age. As she gets older, she is feeling more comfortable in competitions and I think she likes to participate but she still isn't into all the scores or awards.

As parents, we see the boredom of competition season set in too - initially they are excited to learn new routines but typically once routines start, most uptraining stops until summer (they compete in the winter/spring). Obviously repetition of the routines is essential but what happens is that the skills they were learning get put on the backburner and after 6+ months, they forget how to do them (or fear sets in again). It comes quicker the second time around but it is still a lot of relearning time. I think that's why some elite coaches prefer that girls not compete - particularly those whom they feel could make it to elite at a young age.

So, I think you need to talk with the coach more about the reasoning behind this - Is she thinking that your dd is Jr. elite material? If not (or if you know you don't even want to "go down that path") then I'm not sure I would hold the competitions from her and not sure I would be fast tracking her to compete level 7 at 7-8.

A big part of becoming a good gymnast is indeed "competition experience". I seriously believe the 3 years of experience my dd had with All-Star cheer and "competing" on a big stage in front of literally thousands of spectators at some competitions gave her the edge, confidence and experience that she needed to become the showy, confident and sassy gymnast that she is today. IMHO, it takes more than just skill to have a great routine. Being able to play up your personality to the judges and audience takes practice and often DOES boost your score, regardless of how well you did the skills.

I would be interested in hearing why Jos's coaches feel the need to move her so quickly and have her "miss out" on all that experience. And a BIG part of the fun of doing gymnastics is the competition of meets and getting out there and letting the kids show their stuff.

. IMHO, it takes more than just skill to have a great routine. Being able to play up your personality to the judges and audience takes practice and often DOES boost your score, regardless of how well you did the skills.

I totally agree that personality can play to the judges. We have definitely seen this. Even little things like smiles as the right time vs. constant competition face. But I think this is mainly a personality thing that some girls have and some don't. dd has been competing for 3 years and still has yet to smile during competition. It's just not her style, even though she knows it could gain her a few extra tenths overall...

See if this type of approach holds her interest and if it doesn't, you can either switch programs/gyms or switch sports...she can train TOPS at 5 but she can't test that either until she's 7...she's only 5 so you have plenty of time...

Did you mean her coach doesn't want her to compete until she is 7 years old or until she has level 7 skills? I'm confused.

i read the note as the HC wants her to compete Level 7 when she is ready and the OP noted that that won't be until she is at least 7yrs. (the minimal age). I wonder if HC thinks she would be ready at 7yrs. If so then I would think hs is fast tracking to elite but without talking to the HC, you won't know for sure.

My dd did/is doing this. She did compete at one L5 and one L6 meet. She actually just decided that she doesn't want to do a whole L7 season either. She trains anywhere from 24-32 hours per week depending (she is 9 now but I should mention that she missed almost a whole year of gymnastics last year due to various reasons not related). The training is TOPs but it should be clarified that it is not "just" TOPs, meaning that they don't spend that whole time simply doing stalders and handstand holds. That would be boring, LOL! There is a lot of conditioning and stretching and learning bigger skills and elite compulsories at a faster rate because no time is spent memorizing and perfecting JO Compulsory routines. You would have to check with the coach but they will probably incorporate ballet or want her to take that in addition to gym.

As others already mentioned this route is not for everybody and there are things to consider. It is physically harder but your dd must be showing lots of strength already. Some girls shy away from the "extra" conditioning. Mine happens to LOVE it and loves to push herself but that will vary for each individual. It is true that they don't compete JO Levels however, they do "compete" at TOPs testing. We call it testing but basically it is a competition, you wear your TOPs competition leo & warmups, fix the hair, and you are under pressure to perform, and you get a score soooo, I guess you could say they do get some experience. You can also get this experience elsewhere, it doesn't have to be gymnastics. Check with the coach but my guess would be that she would be L7 by the age of 7-8 and that would still give her plenty of years of competiton experience before the big league.

So gosh, downfalls I would say my biggest concern so far is burnout. It is a lot of pressure and time commitment at such a young age so if you take this route, be watchful and don't hesitate to step in with concerns if needed. The other downfall is that as a parent, it is not as fun. You don't always get to see the TOPs tests depending on each and so it can be boring for the parents sometimes.

This is getting long so to sum it up: ask coach a lot of questions and stay involved, watch for burnout and injury prevention, and the best part... you can always change your mind! You can always pull out of that program and go back to JO. There are several ways to get to elite if that is the end goal and each way will depend on each individual gymnast's style as well as the options that each gym is willing to provide.

It's is the fast track

Talked to the coaches they are fast tracking her, but they said that doesn't mean she won't compete! So that's good, and as far as being competition ready she does dance competitions also so she is used to the spot light. They said the are aware of burnout issues and keep that in mind while training. And yes I meant that age 7 was the minimum age for level 7, but I have all the confidence in the world that my little one can reach that level early! thanks for the input!

Fast track and five year old? Something doesn't connect here.

She'll still have to do at least 1 L5 and 1 L6 meet before any L7 so that will take alot of time to get the skills/routines plus adding in all the L7 things. Way too much for such a young child--JMO.

We have a similar program in Ontario called ODP (Ontario Development Program). One of the reasons that we decided to change gyms was that at our old gym they have the girls do exclusively ODP conditioning and only a few skills until they are 6, then at age 7 and 8 they do a few more skills but still do not compete routines until they are 9 years old and can go into the Provincial Program.

At her gym now, she will still compete ODP twice this year, but they have the 7 year olds compete routines right along with the conditioning. Within a month of switching gyms my dd competed in 2 tumbling competitions and one routines meet. I think it is good for them to have that experience, rather than waiting until they are 9 and then just throwing them into a meet at that time.

I agree that is an odd path. Joselyn seems like a performer in her videos. I bet she would love competing. It would give her a chance to shine and be part of team. I am a big fan of letting kids be kids. There is so much pressure on gymnasts who advance through the traditional path. Many of who quit before L7. It turns out just not to be for them. Good luck with your decision. Seems like a hard one.

trust the coaches. she's only 5. she can't compete until she's 7 at level 5. let her train.

The team coaches want Joscelyn who is 5 to wait until she is level 7 to actually start competing. They want her to train on the tops program and do the testing until that time. I don't want her to lose interest having to wait until she is at least 7, but the coaches seem to think time spent on the lower levels would be a waste of time for her and want to advance her as quickly and as young as possible I guess. It is flattering that they have "high hopes" for Josc, but I was just wondering what you all thought about it?

My oldest daughter did it this way, although she wasn't as young. Worked out well for her. She was all about the training and getting better and better and scored out of levels 5 and 6. Started competing at level 7. Although, her plan was changed along the way due to several variables, she is now a level 10 and doing very well looking into scholarship opportunities. There are many different paths to travel in the sport. There isn't one "right way" IMO. This plan worked for her, but I'm not sure it would have worked for my youngest, who was/is all about putting on the sparkly leo, being part of a team, traveling with her friends to meets, etc. My oldest daughter just isn't as social and was very dedicated right from the beginning and still is. Good Luck!

My daughter did a similar progression...2 meets at 5, 1 at 6, 1 at 7 and then she competed a yr at Level 8 (was training TOPS as well during this time); 1 yr at 9 and then she was Level 10 and testing elite...that said , it was intense and as others have said, the risk of burnout is huge but she has lasted and she is now in her 7th year of Level 10 (didn't like elite so went back to 10) and headed to college. It's a very fine line that is walked between loving and hating what they do so you need to be mindful of even subtle changes with your daughter....at such a young age, I would be careful about overloading her with expectations for the future though...

Coaches have tried this tactic for years with talented kids. They almost always burn out, or end up like bookworm's DD- in Level 10 for a million years (not that that's bad, mind you). I say let the kids fill their "fun bank" of compulsory meets, goody bags, teammates, etc NOW. Thats what will get them through the hard times if they truly become elite gymnasts. If you look at our top elite athletes-MOST went through the levels. If she's truly that talented- she can do compulsories and train all the basics REALLY really well, and develop her form and polish now. No rush to get to level 7 at all- but its essentail to have excellent fundamentals IF she is going to be an elite. I think fast track should instead be a "slow track" -esp at such a young age.

Coaches have tried this tactic for years with talented kids. They almost always burn out, or end up like bookworm's DD- in Level 10 for a million years (not that that's bad, mind you). I say let the kids fill their "fun bank" of compulsory meets, goody bags, teammates, etc NOW. Thats what will get them through the hard times if they truly become elite gymnasts. If you look at our top elite athletes-MOST went through the levels. If she's truly that talented- she can do compulsories and train all the basics REALLY really well, and develop her form and polish now. No rush to get to level 7 at all- but its essentail to have excellent fundamentals IF she is going to be an elite. I think fast track should instead be a "slow track" -esp at such a young age.

I don't get the point of this comment...yes my daughter has been level 10 for a number of years but she just moved along with her skill level. It wouldn't have made any sense to keep her in compulsories just because of her age. It was always felt that she would progress along with her skills, and it was not ever age driven.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back