Coaches Calling all coaches!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnasticsbabie

hey coaches, i thought i'd ask everyone if you had a drills for blind changes that I can do at home and at the gym. i put it the coaches forum (even though im a gymnast) because well...your coaches! so i hope you can give me some advice!

I have very little experience teaching this skill, but two drills I would use are a back extension roll to blind change on floor, and a big swing half turn, preferably from a cast away. As you get more comfortable with the high-swinging half turn, you can work on getting it higher and higher until it finishes in a handstand.

hey coaches, i thought i'd ask everyone if you had a drills for blind changes that I can do at home and at the gym. i put it the coaches forum (even though im a gymnast) because well...your coaches! so i hope you can give me some advice!

Why don't you ask your own coaches? Isn't that what you pay them for?

With that said, I could tell you lots of things about blind changes. But, that doesn't mean that any of them will help you. I have no idea if you can hold a body position or if you've done the proper lead-ups to even start with.

With that said, I could tell you lots of things about blind changes. But, that doesn't mean that any of them will help you. I have no idea if you can hold a body position or if you've done the proper lead-ups to even start with.

okay... well starting with your first very sweet comment: yes i do have coaches, i've asked them, and obviously their perspective didn't work. i was only asking the coaches for some drills. not on how to do it. i can already do it its just they are crooked and i was wondering if you had any supplementary drills that i could be working on. I turn right and AFTER i turn i fall towards the left (the way i was turning).

im sorry you misunderstood what i was saying. i was only asking for more advice.

WAY TO HELP!!!!!

A few things you can do at home is kick hand to blind pirouette and fall to your back. It would be very helpful if you had a floor bar at home or something that could mimic one. Just make sure you are doing the blind in the correct direction because it feels a little different after doing a kick to handstand with one. Another thing you can do is kick to handstand against a walls and practice shifting your weight to your post arm and holding the 1 arm handstand for 3-4 seconds. Make sure you keep a very straight body alignment and that you don't arch at all.

What are your issues in the gym? Not finishing on the bar, problem with the turn etc?

Hi

I dont think there is toooo much you can do at home to fix your problem.
To me from reading what you are saying i would say your problem is that you are not turning with the toes. You need to make sure you tap towards the direction of your turn and initiate this from the toes. This can be practiced (the toes turning/leading initiating the turn) with backward extension rolls. However how many of those can you do on hard ground before your hands take a beating.

If you have a tramp you can work doing back drop (or if you know how to do a Kaboom) blind change.. this is a really good drill to work that toe turning/shaping
If you have a tramp i guess you can also do the backward extension rolls on there (assuming you can fit it).

If you post a video from side and back and front it would be easier to give you drills to fix the problem.

Hope that was of some help

WAY TO HELP!!!!!

Realistically, do you think that you've offered up such earth-shattering technical information?

At the end of the day, if her own coaches can't seem to help her, then my guess is that she's probably got shaping issues, probably turning too late, probably has the head sticking out, etc.

So, is there anything magical that I can tell this gymnast to fix her problems? The answer would be an emphatic "No."

For the gymnast, here's your "supplementary drill" - go back and work on swing 1/2 turns. Initiate the turn with your feet, keep the chest hollow, and look under the post arm. Be patient with this and eventually you'll be going back to handstand.

You could try just hanging from a chin up bar with no swing and practising performing a half turn...without the swing to initiate a turn it forces you to start to use your toes as a 'corkscrew' to make the body follow in its lead.
But as some have stated, without seeing a video of your blind its hard to diagnose exactly what drill to 'prescribe' you...however, from the description you provided it may be that when you are turning you are pressing your chest and head out to 'look' for the bar (I am only assuming you are splitting your legs when you turn as well?). This will cause your alignment to be crooked... Goodluck with the drills everyone has provided they all will be helpful, even if some are making crass comments as to why your coaches aren't helping you...

Dear coaches,
thank you so so so much for all the drills. i know you can't help a whole lot because you haven't seen it (i'll try to get on that and tape it) but your drills and exercises are definitely something I'm going to try.

to Acoach78: what the other coaches have said may not be "earth shattering" but they did help. a lot of the drills are ones that i haven't tried yet. if i do them, all they can do is help my blind change. are you always so pessimistic? do you act this way to your girls/boys in the gym? man...

anyways, thank you again to all the coaches!

Realistically, do you think that you've offered up such earth-shattering technical information?

At the end of the day, if her own coaches can't seem to help her, then my guess is that she's probably got shaping issues, probably turning too late, probably has the head sticking out, etc.

So, is there anything magical that I can tell this gymnast to fix her problems? The answer would be an emphatic "No."

For the gymnast, here's your "supplementary drill" - go back and work on swing 1/2 turns. Initiate the turn with your feet, keep the chest hollow, and look under the post arm. Be patient with this and eventually you'll be going back to handstand.

Obviously I haven't offered up earth shattering help. But when a kid comes on here and nicely asks for some advice, what don't you give her some instead of being some egotistical idiot. She may be one of those gymnast that has a coach that has no clue how how to do proper drilling or conditioning and the slightest piece of advice may help.

Enough.

Two things which should have gone without saying:

1) Any advice you get here should supplement the advice you get from your coach, not replace it. I'm sure everybody posting here already understands that.

2) The primary purpose of this section is to allow people, whether they be gymnasts, parents, or other coaches, to ask coaches for advice. No need to jump on somebody for doing exactly that.

Any further posts not dedicated to answering the original question will be deleted.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back