Wrist Injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wanted to share with you the story of my wrist injury.

5 Months ago I injured my wrist but I still don't know how I did it! But I went to see a doctor and he said it was only a sprain so I waited for the injury to go away but it didn't.

So I went to see another doctor, and he replaced some bones in my wrist twices. But each time he would replace them it deplaced one week after. He then said he couldn't do anything more. (I was doing gym even though it was hurting badly. But I had a limitted training. Like I could only do one bar rouitne per day.) He sent me to see a physio.

The physio told me he was feeling a little lump in my wrist and he tought it was maybe a ganglion (cyst). (I wasn't doing gym anymore during that time because the doctor who replaced my bones thought that I had to take a break of like 3 months so that it would heal.) The physio sent me to a sport doctor.

The sport doctor told me it was a torn ligament. I then you it was really serious and that Ill that pain I was going through was something more serious that I thought it was going to be. He said that I could go back to training with a splint. But it didn't work. The pain was too big.

So my friend had heard about a chiro(not sure if thats the word in english) who worked with a lot of wrist injuries in gymnastics. So I went there, thought it was the right descision and that this would heal my wrist. But it didn't do anything. The only thing it did was that it hurt like hell when he was trying to do something with my wrist.

Last night, I read a bunch of info on torn ligaments in the wrist, and I really think thats what I have. Ive also read that when its been a few months that you have the injury, your starting to have something that is called osteoarthritis. I read more about that osteoarthritis thingy, and then realize that it was what I had. I told my dad about it and he thought it make sense.

So tuesday, Im going for a check up at the hospital for my back(since I have scheuermann's disease) And I will ask the doctor there, if he can do something about my wrist. My dad told me that if I wanted to pass a MRI it will cost 600$ CAN!!!!! So that won't be a possible thing to do. But Ive read that (I can't remember the word) but I know that it does the same thing as a MRI. They insert some liquid in you so that they can see the ligaments. Ill ask the doctor if I could take this because I really want to get back to the gym. And Ill do anything for the injury to go away as fast as possible. I also don't mind to have surgery on it. As long as my injury will not be there in the summer, I don't mind.

So yeah thats probally it. Maybe you have experienced something similar as a gymnast???? Could you help me please???

Thanks for reading.

Charlotte

wow... thats a pretty intense story.. is MRI not covered by the insurance in Canada? anyways i've totally been through that with my back, it ended up that my back was broken after mis-prescribing it about 5 times. but i think first i think you need to try all your options before going to surgery. Surgery is a really big deal and they could really screw up your wrist. (or help it). theres a big risk factor in surgery. so weigh out all your options. have you tried more physio? have you tried a cortizone shot? have you tried not doing anything on it for a while? if you've tried all of these then i think it's best to get the MRI. If your parents can't afford an MRI then you need to find another option... im not sure what that can be, but i would really try to push for that MRI. i know its frustrating to not know whats wrong with your wrist. ice it as much as you can to take down the swelling (you might not see it if it's internal). wear wristies (aka tiger paws, wrist gaurds, hand gaurds) all the time.

another option is just resting it. i know a girl who didn't use her wrist for over 5 months. I know another girl that didn't use her elbow for like 2 years. don't do ANYTHING on it for like a couple of weeks. work on things like punch layout- punch fronts on fx (or harder if you can already do it). do front layouts on vault, don't do bars, and do things like standing layouts, one bhs, one arm fhs, front ariels on beam.

and yet another option: i looked up torn ligaments on the internet and treatment options and theres a thing called arthrograms. they inject a dye into your wrist and then you take a ceartin type of xray. it's similar to a bone scan but i think its specifically for the wrist.

okay and another option is an arthroscope. it's where they insert a tiny camera into your wrist to see whats going on and then potentially fix the problem. its like your going into surgery, but it shouldn't hurt.

there were lots of things listed for surgery treatment options, but it sounds nasty. good luck and tell me if any of this helps!

oh btw heres the site: http://www.orthogate.org/patient-education/wrist/ligament-injuries-of-the-wrist.html

Last edited by a moderator:
wow... thats a pretty intense story.. is MRI not covered by the insurance in Canada?
If you have good insurance yes, but unfurtunatly we don't.
anyways i've totally been through that with my back, it ended up that my back was broken after mis-prescribing it about 5 times. but i think first i think you need to try all your options before going to surgery. Surgery is a really big deal and they could really screw up your wrist. (or help it). theres a big risk factor in surgery. so weigh out all your options. have you tried more physio?
I went twice. But it absolutly didn't change anything. So the physio told me he couldn't do anything more and he told me that physio wasn't going to help.
have you tried a cortizone shot?
No .nobody proposed that to me yet.
have you tried not doing anything on it for a while?
I stop doing things on my wrist one month ago.
if you've tried all of these then i think it's best to get the MRI. If your parents can't afford an MRI then you need to find another option... im not sure what that can be, but i would really try to push for that MRI. i know its frustrating to not know whats wrong with your wrist. ice it as much as you can to take down the swelling (you might not see it if it's internal).
Yeah that be a good idea cause I havn't put ice on it for months. Except once I thought doing a round-off wouldn't hurt but it did. hehe that was funny. JK.
wear wristies (aka tiger paws, wrist gaurds, hand gaurds) all the time.
Ill look stupid if I do that at school. And I don't think it will help except if Im doing sports like soccer, to prevent from falling on it.
another option is just resting it. i know a girl who didn't use her wrist for over 5 months. I know another girl that didn't use her elbow for like 2 years. don't do ANYTHING on it for like a couple of weeks. work on things like punch layout- punch fronts on fx (or harder if you can already do it). do front layouts on vault, don't do bars, and do things like standing layouts, one bhs, one arm fhs, front ariels on beam.
Thats what I use to do when I was going to the gym. But it was too hard to see the other gymnast doing bars and doing stuff on their hands. (like handstands I love handstands!!lol that was random!hehe) And when I saw them I use to told myself that I can work with pain so I did some stuff like bars and backhandspring on floor and push-ups and things like that u know, but my coach didn't like it so she yelled at me and told me more than once that it would not heal if I did stuff on my wrist. So thats why I decided to take a ''gym break'' untill it will stop hurting. But I will go back once a week to do conditionning.
and yet another option: i looked up torn ligaments on the internet and treatment options and theres a thing called arthrograms. they inject a dye into your wrist and then you take a ceartin type of xray. it's similar to a bone scan but i think its specifically for the wrist.
Yeah I saw that to. Thats what Im going to ask the doctor tomorrow. ( I hope Ill take that test.)
okay and another option is an arthroscope. it's where they insert a tiny camera into your wrist to see whats going on and then potentially fix the problem. its like your going into surgery, but it shouldn't hurt.
Yeah but I like the arthrogram thingy better! Hehe :D
there were lots of things listed for surgery treatment options, but it sounds nasty. good luck and tell me if any of this helps!

oh btw heres the site: http://www.orthogate.org/patient-education/wrist/ligament-injuries-of-the-wrist.html
Thanks but I already saw it! lol:p

Thank you so much for the help! I was hoping someone would response to my thread! Thanks again. It was really helpfull. I'll let you know what the doctor said!

Charlotte

haha no problem! i bet some of the info was like really repetitive though.. i didn't mean when a wristie all the time like at school too! i just meant like at the gym!! haha but tell me how your doctors appt went!

haha no problem! i bet some of the info was like really repetitive though.. i didn't mean when a wristie all the time like at school too! i just meant like at the gym!! haha but tell me how your doctors appt went!

UPDATES: So I went to the doctor yesterday and he told me it wasn't a torn ligament. I think he wasn't really sure what I have, but he told me that I don't need to pass an MRI or anything simillar. He also told me I only have to wait. Thats when I started crying... I'm not sure why though, but I know I couldn't stop those tears. I guess he then felt bad for me, so he gave me a wrist protector kind of thing, and i have to wear it all the time. Thats about it. I hope with that it will heal soon! If not, then there is a problem! Thanks for the help!

Wow. That really sucks. I have HORRIBLE wrist problems. i hurt my wirst bad. ill post my own thread.

aww, that really sucks about having to wait. but you really have to listen to the doctor. i know it sucks, but if you try go back too soon than you can end up hurting yourself even more and then you'll have to wait for longer, which would suck even more haha. hope it heals!

yes i have had similar problems with my knee. i broke it vaulting my tsuk back in september which was like 8 months ago! i ended up having two surgeries on it and i also think that surgery is the last thing you should ever do. i have been to the doctor... idk how many times and i am still not allowed to do stuff. all my teammates and everyone keep telling me just to stay off it and listen to the doctor and when it heals, it will be stronger. so thats a condensed version of my story! best of luck with ur wrist!

UPDATES: So I went to the doctor yesterday and he told me it wasn't a torn ligament. I think he wasn't really sure what I have, but he told me that I don't need to pass an MRI or anything simillar. He also told me I only have to wait. Thats when I started crying... I'm not sure why though, but I know I couldn't stop those tears. I guess he then felt bad for me, so he gave me a wrist protector kind of thing, and i have to wear it all the time. Thats about it. I hope with that it will heal soon! If not, then there is a problem! Thanks for the help!
How is your wrist feeling?

How is your wrist feeling?

well after two months of wearing the protector thigy... no change. Actually I went to the doctor today (just the family doctor this time) and she gave me a paper to go take a scan (MRI I think) and then after I will go see a surgeon who knows a lot about wrist injuries. So hopefully he will suggested me something helpful.

i know when i was having lots of problems with my wrist it actually turned out to be a severely bruised bone.. it sucked but after almost 5 months of complete rest with it and then home PT it's getting a lot better.. really.. stay off of it but do simple strengthening exercises.. squeezing a tennis ball even.. don't let it go to mush but don't over do it.

I hope it gets better soon, i hate injuries. :) did the scan show anything new?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back