DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
I have been an artistic gymnast all my life. I'm really interested in trampoline and tumbling as it seems to be getting more popular. These questions are for anyone that has some experience with trampoline and tumbling.

What are the basics of trampolining?

When teaching a beginner...what do you focus on?

What is the difference between training artistic skills on a trampoline and the actual sport of trampolining?

I think I can be a little help, but not much. As as artistic gymnast I did a lot of training on the tramp because my coach felt it was similar to the other events--which it really is!

I suggest going to the USAG website and looking up the tramp routines (all levels). Basic routines include different jumps, stomach drops, etc.

I personally think that when you begin teaching trampoline teach correct jumping technique (arms up in the air, down when you hit the tramp--making a circle motion) and stopping correctly. Start of with all the types of jumps, seat drops, stomach drops, turning those skills, basic flips, front and back egg rolls (front flip to your back then another front flip from your back to your back--that sort of thing).

Hopefully I was some help! As an artistic gymnast I loved learning trampoline--it really helped with air awareness and it came in handing because a lot of skills, on all events, can be trained on the tramp (parts of them at least). GOOD LUCK!

Some of the major differences between TnT and Artistic are the way Layouts are done. "artistic" layouts are in incurve/outcurve position, which would get deductions in TnT for being arched. There are many... I will type them up later when I am not so tired.

I have been an artistic gymnast all my life. I'm really interested in trampoline and tumbling as it seems to be getting more popular. These questions are for anyone that has some experience with trampoline and tumbling.

What are the basics of trampolining?

When teaching a beginner...what do you focus on?

What is the difference between training artistic skills on a trampoline and the actual sport of trampolining?
Ok I just started doing it the basics are getting good hight
using your hands to get the good hight, bum drops (as
my coach calls them) swivle hips (not sure how to spell that)
front drops/backdrops , front flip/ back flip and maby
some combo moves if that helps at all

i have just moved up to elite trampolining so have recently done the basics of trampolining it is things like front and back drops cradle(back drop half twist back drop) and turn table(front drop half twist front drop), swivel hips, seat drops, front and back tucked summersaults. The mail difference between trampolining and gymnastics trampolining training is that in trampolining your try not to travel and stay on the cross(center of the bed)

the first thing is to teach the bounce from standing with arms by sides. head is level, middle is tight, pushing through toes, staying in same spot, legs together.

next is bouncing with arms above head

next is bouncing with arms out to sides like a cross

incorporate the basic backward arm circle while keeping the body position straight and not arched. the gymnast must keep eyes level and be comfortable with that and learning to control the bounce.

actually, learning to stick is probably the first thing from a stand but i skipped that.

next are the shapes, tuck and straddle. i don't teach pike jump to beginners but teach it as a seat drop. typically i tell them to tuck up and extend their legs out, eventually they'll do a pike jump and land in seat.

next are learning the back bounce ( bedbugs, deadbugs ) and table bounce ( doggie drop position ). then table to front drop and back.

then seat, table, front and back. seat to table back and forth.

somewhere in there is teaching turning. i was taught to teach the turn with a head turn with the arms out to that cross position. eventually they will learn to pull the arms in to increase rotation or out to slow rotation.

its probably harder to learn to twist with the arms in cross than at sides or up. the head turns to keep the body turning and when the head stops the body should stop by squeezing.

http://www.joysjym.com/TrampolineDrills.pdf

http://www.thetrampolinesite.com/trampolining-moves.html

Online glossary of front skills,Trampolining, Tumbling, and Acrobatics,Nissen,Moskalenko,Karavaeva,Dogonadze,Stehlik,Cockburn,Nikitin,Rusakov,Ueyama,Sotomura,Khnychev,Hebert,Chernova,Huang,Wright

Online glossary of back skills,Trampolining, Tumbling, and Acrobatics,Nissen,Moskalenko,Karavaeva,Dogonadze,Stehlik,Cockburn,Nikitin,Rusakov,Ueyama,Sotomura,Khnychev,Hebert,Chernova,Huang,Wright

There used to be part of a video sold with a trampoline for basic tramp skills by Dan Millman on youtube somewhere. His video on it is pretty thorough as well. I like Joy's stuff too. Joy has been involved with the MAG community putting trampoline into the Future Stars program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back