WAG Confused on elite qualification procedures

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
I was wondering if someone could give be an explantation of the elite procedure. I know that in order to qualify for elite you need to have a compulsary score and an optional score. The score you need depends on what you are qualifing in (SR,JR etc). But from there I have several questions. Do you have to get the passing compulsary score to compete in the optional part? Once you have your compulsary score do you ever have to compete it again? How do they decide who has to do the qualifiers every year? I noticed that some of the girls that qualifed last year are doing qualifiers again? I noticed that Nica Hults at the Woga classic competed in the qualifer and didn't get her score yet competed in the International elite session too. How can you do that? They only information that I can find is the usa gymnastics website. http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/ElitePre-Elite/12elitechart.pdf I would love to understand this process better. Also zi noticed several elites that are competing both L10 and elite. What are the rules for that?

Last edited:
Nica may have received her compulsory score at a verification camp at the ranch. those scores are not typically posted somewhere easy to locate. you can compete compulsories as many time as you would like. not typical, but it's done. it may be that the Elite committee allowed this to take place. she may compete but the optional score won't count but you can still compete. or maybe they say that it will count but she will still have to get the compulsory score to move on/qualify to Classics. no compusory score ultmately means you can't move on to Classics.

or, you can call it whatever session you want to call it. the "elite" sanction is different than a regular sanction. so hypothetically, you could compete under FIG judging rules without the appropriate sanction, get a score that looks like "14.30" etc; and the score won't count unless the "sanction" is FIG official and the gymnast achieved their compulsory qualifying score.

then, to your other question, once the athlete achieves the compulsory qualifying score they will never have to compete those again.

the coaches decide which meets or "qualifiers" their athletes go to. they may do "qualifiers" just as a warm up for something bigger or to test readiness for new skills in their routines.

Reading about this stuff is like holding a lottery ticket - it's nice to fantasize for a bit, but in the end, I know what the odds really are.

quite frankly, reading this stuff and then doing it is a migraine headache. that's the truth.:)

depends on whether it's a qualifier/verification, getting to classics or getting to championships. depending on the rules in that year you might have to qualify every year if they change the qualifying rules.

but if you're on the national team, been to championships continuously, and competed internationally, then no...you don't have to re-qualify each year. pineapple lump is good at explaining this. if i screwed up maybe she'll pipe in.

and please don't ask about tops, hopes, pre-elite...i feel a migraine coming on just thinking that you might ask...:)

I am not good at explaining this stuff as I have not really followed elite gymnastics that closely as of late. I believe Dunno has it right on all but one part. Nica was at championships last year so she must have earned her compulsory score last year. She just needs her optional score for this year.
I am pretty sure you can get your optional score before the compulsory score, but if you don't receive your compulsory score within that year/season you must do both the optional and compulsory again.

I am not good at explaining this stuff as I have not really followed elite gymnastics that closely as of late. I believe Dunno has it right on all but one part. Nica was at championships last year so she must have earned her compulsory score last year. She just needs her optional score for this year.
I am pretty sure you can get your optional score before the compulsory score, but if you don't receive your compulsory score within that year/season you must do both the optional and compulsory again.

yes, yes! thank you pineapple!:)

Nica earned her elite compulsory score at the May developmental camp. About eight gymnasts earned their elite optional camp (including Nica) at that same camp.

Once you have competed in a Classic (American or US), you never have to test compulsories again. Every gymnast has to re-test optionals every year although there are many ways to earn that score. World team members are often allowed to go straight through to Visa, for instance, based on the prior season. National team members can use a 4-hard surface verification at a national team camp or an international meet to get their score. Anyone who competes at Visa can use their AA score at Visa to qualify to Classic for the next season. Developmental campers who attended either November or January camps this season can try to qualify to Classic using a 4-hard surface verification at April camp (upon invitation). Everyone else has to rely on Gliders, Woga, or the ranch camp to qualify to a Classic.

Nica earned her elite compulsory score at the May developmental camp. About eight gymnasts earned their elite optional camp (including Nica) at that same camp.

Once you have competed in a Classic (American or US), you never have to test compulsories again. Every gymnast has to re-test optionals every year although there are many ways to earn that score. World team members are often allowed to go straight through to Visa, for instance, based on the prior season. National team members can use a 4-hard surface verification at a national team camp or an international meet to get their score. Anyone who competes at Visa can use their AA score at Visa to qualify to Classic for the next season. Developmental campers who attended either November or January camps this season can try to qualify to Classic using a 4-hard surface verification at April camp (upon invitation). Everyone else has to rely on Gliders, Woga, or the ranch camp to qualify to a Classic.

You guys crack me up. :D This whole GYMNASTICS thing cracks me up! There are so many questions about what you wrote, lol, but I will only ask one because I do not think I'm moving to the States ever so I don't really need to know...

Okay, what's the difference between the Visa Championships, American and US?

Visa Championships is 'nationals' for elites. American and US Classic are the qualifiers for 'nationals'.

same qualifier, 2 different names, 2 different times of the year and 2 different times to qualify.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back