Parents March Madness Invitational

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Billy

Hi, all!

DD competed at the March Madness Invitational this morning. It was not her best meet ever but she did okay. The judges were really tough and really inconsistent. We couldn't make sense of a lot of the scores.

Vault- 9.05 (4th place)
Bars- 9.10 (tied for 1st)
Beam- 9.20 (2nd place)
Floor- 8.30 (no place)

AA- 35.65 (4th place)

This was her lowest score ever on floor. She did a nice, pretty handstand and then fell over backward into a bridge. Oops!

Anyway, I've uploaded some video (with sound) to YouTube for anyone who's interested.

Vault- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhErReuT-yA

Bars- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKTmJSi888k

Beam- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jgsyw9qYuw

Sometimes, it's just like that. We competed this weekend (Hal's Harley Davidson invite in Milwaukee). I saw a girl in level 8 do a giant with arms so bent her head was practically on the high bar. Her score? 8.1. Go figure. Now, I know I'm not judge, but you watch routines for 5 years through 2 kids, you get an idea of what's good and what isn't. This weekend, I was lost, at least in the level 8 session. It's like they were awarding points for skills and not taking deductions for sloppy execution.

Over the years, we've noticed that while scored differ meet to meet, you see trends by state. We always think Missouri scores high and Nebraska low. After this weekend, I'm wondering if Wisconsin is a "high" state.

Sounds like the meet went pretty well:) Emily had some issues with her meet today too. Also called March Madness, lol.
It is one we will just put back in the back of our minds. We had a fall on bars but still got an 8.9 so it would have been at least a 9.4. She was upset though so it kind of affected the rest of the meet since she had 2 more events after it.

Sometimes, it's just like that. We competed this weekend (Hal's Harley Davidson invite in Milwaukee). I saw a girl in level 8 do a giant with arms so bent her head was practically on the high bar.

I have seen the gymnast that you are talking about. She rotated with our gym's level 8s at a meet in Jan. DD (level 3) and I went down the night before her meet to watch our optional girls and she had me scared with her bar routine.

We should be seeing her again this week end when the other gym in our town is hosting their first gymnastics meet.

One of the level 8s from our gym was in the rotation with your daughter, our other one was out sick.

One of the level 8s from our gym was in the rotation with your daughter, our other one was out sick.

Cool! What gym?

Hal's was a pretty stange meet. Dd1 (the level 8) had a terrible time. Fell on beam, missed her pirouette on bars, stepped off the mat in vault, and still finished in the top quarter of her age group?

Then dd2 (level 7) got in a session with Salto and LaFluer. Wow. No sloppy skills there! She won bars, but was 4th AA, even with a score over 37. The scores were just much higher than I'm used to seeing.

Shawn, I think she looks fantastic! Sorry to hear about the mishap on floor. That kind of thing is bound to happen every now and then. She had great placements on all the other events, though, and I'm sure that she will nail the floor routine the next time.

Meg

Thanks, Megley. I don't think she was terribly upset by it. More like "doh!" She was happy to place on the other events. Right now she's still at the age of being thrilled with getting a medal and not really paying attention to what it's for.

LOL! I hear you! I gave out medals at the optionals session of the first meet we had at our gym and I kept wondering whether those girls even cared anymore. They probably have boxes and boxes full of medals. But at age 6 and just starting, medals are a big deal.

Meg

Too funny! We did a meet at Hilton Head back in January. It was definitely a tough meet and I was afraid DD would be disappointed with the results. Instead, she was positively glowing on the podium and came back saying "I've got 14 medals now!!!" It was so funny! :)

I think she did great! Those were great scores and I loved her videos. She really has such good form. :) Great job!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back