New in so many ways. Adult Gymnastics ? Please Help from ALL :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

mydream

Hello everyone.

I remember growing up I always wanted to do gymnastics. I could do a mean cartwheel and roundoff but that was it just from my front yard. I remember one time I was able to do, what I learned later was a backwards walk over. I think thats the name of it.

I remember the '96 Olympics. wow. what intensity and amazing gymnastics. I knew then I wanted to do gymnastics. Sadly due to life and family circumstances, I couldn't at the time. But always still a dream and still is. You might notice my age in my profile. I am 29. I know, I know, Im old :(

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of so many things. Treat me like Im a new girl who just walked into the gym and im not 29. Where does one get a leo? Secondly, Am I allowed to train at gyms with the other girls. I am hearing something about the 15 and up category? Is that something and do I fall into it? I know I won't ever go to the Olympics. Is there an age limit on that team. I mean theoretically speaking COULD someone at my age go as a gymnast?

If anyone can help me out that would be great. I am trying to find an adult gymnastic program. I live in Philadelphia,pa. I would totally train at a "regular" gym if I am allowed - am I allowed?

In the meantime while I start on this journey that I want to go on. Any advice on what to maybe start doing while I look for a gym? I am in somewhat good shape, but Irs been a few years since I have ran a few miles. Should I start with body conditioning?

ANY and ALL info would be most helpful. I don't know how often I can check this site, but I will try.,
If you want to personally send me a message its (xxxxxxxxxxxx) *no spaces*

Thanks

Jennifer :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can do gymnastics as an adult. Some gyms are willing to let an adult in and some even have specific adult classes or open gym for adults, some do not. The only way to know for sure is to pick up the phone and call some!

As far as leotards there are a billion sites that sell them ( GK, Alpha Factor, Melody, Dreamlight) are a few that come to mind as well as some gyms and dance supply stores carry them.

Good luck!

Hello everyone. I am still the same person as the OP. I wanted to change my username to something that suited me more. Just wanted to let you know. You can reach me on this profile and user name from now on. :)

Hello everyone.

I remember growing up I always wanted to do gymnastics. I could do a mean cartwheel and roundoff but that was it just from my front yard. I remember one time I was able to do, what I learned later was a backwards walk over. I think thats the name of it. I remember the '96 Olympics. wow. what intensity and amazing gymnastics. I knew then I wanted to do gymnastics. Sadly I had to have heart surgery at the age of 9 (all better after a few years of recovery so I couldn't at the time.) But always still a dream and still is. You might notice my age in my profile. I am 29. I know, I know, Im old :(

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of so many things. Treat me like Im a new girl who just walked into the gym and im not 29. Where does one get a leo? Secondly, Am I allowed to train at gyms with the other girls. I am hearing something about the 15 and up category? Is that something and do I fall into it? I know I won't ever go to the Olympics. Is there an age limit on that team. I mean theoretically speaking COULD someone at my age go as a gymnast, because I wanted to be pushed and trained as if I WERE going to the Olympics ( I don't think that dream will ever go away inside of me. but I need ot be realistic)

If anyone can help me out that would be great. I am trying to find an adult gymnastic program. I live in Philadelphia,pa. I would totally train at a "regular" gym if I am allowed - am I allowed?

In the meantime while I start on this journey that I want to go on. Any advice on what to maybe start doing while I look for a gym? I am in somewhat good shape, but Irs been a few years since I have ran a few miles. Should I start with body conditioning?

ANY and ALL info would be most helpful.
Thanks

Jennifer

Hi there, I got back to gymnastics at 32, so know where you're coming from! I know that most gyms (uk and us) that have adult gym have "open gym" which basically means no structure, which can make it hard to learn. I got lucky to find a phenomenal coach here in the uk (but which requires an hour and a half drive, each way), but this was only after trying 3 gyms where the coaches sat on the sidelines playing on their iPhones... Whatever you do, find a gym where the coach actually coaches - its too dangerous otherwise. Hopefully there's something reasonably close to you.

The best advice I can give you is to spend a LOT of time conditioning and stretching aside from the gymnastics. You can't really do much until you can do at least close to a pull-up on the bars, can do a decent leg lift, and have pretty flexible shoulders (ie from handstand bridges). I've found for adults (well, females my age), we need particular training and it's extremely hard to join a kiddie class where the girls have natural youthful flexibility and very little weight to contend with. It's important to have a good coach who understands this so you don't get hurt. Also, you'll find that certain things are way harder for you just due to your weight (when even 30 kg girls get rips from the bars, just imagine when you're 60 kg). Most girls grow into their weight as they progress, so it's much easier for them. We on the other hand have not had that luxury.

Anyway, it's tough (particularly the conditioning) but totally worth it. Check out some of the masters gymnastics athletes for inspiration. :)

Hello and welcome to the adult forum! There are quite a few of us here that started gymnastics as an adult and several who came back to the sport after years. Ok, i will do my best to answer your questions as I am doing it from memory and using my phone lol. Leotards, where to buy. Considering you're in Pittsburgh, there is most likely a gk dealer in your area. How far is Pittsburg from Reading? The outlet is in Reading for GK, a great leotard company. However, you can also check online, discount leotards has fabulous priced and super fast shipping. Dancewearsolutions. Also .com also has some great pricez, just makr sure you pay extra close to the sizing. For example, I usually wear an AL or AXL in GK and alpha factor, nut can wear an AM in dancwearsolutions leotards.

Competitions, there are a few adult.competitons you can compete when you sre ready. AAU has a ladies division, a couple of us just competed summer nationals with them and you can get a single membership without having to have your gym be a member. And we were grouped 17+ according to division. Now, the biggest questions. Where to train and how to prepare. Check PA usag website, and just call the gyms in your area. Plus gymnastike (website online) has a listing.of adult classes by state inder their adult section....and you can check out some videos of oir meets to and see what you may have the.potential to do! Some stuff you can do at home to get ready? Pushups, chinups, dips, situps and cardio is a good start. And good job at staying realistic. Gymnastics is a frustrating sport, but so much fun. And as much is you're allowed to train depends on how far you are able to progress. Will yoi go to the Olympics? No. (But you can work towards AAU junior.Olympics! !!). I say I am going to be the oldest elite and work towards that goal, though I don't expect it to happen. But it would be cool. Here is the.most important thing and piece of advice you need in this sport. HAVE FUN!! Welcome to the baords, feel free to ask any questions and let us know how you're progressing!!!

Great to see another adult gymnast here! You are not old at all (I'm 45 and took up gymnastics again at 43). I don't think Olympics is realistic, but definitely you can train hard and compete in real gymnastics competitions. If you still look good in a leo, then go for it! (At my age and after 2 babies and an extra 10 kilos, I stick to black tights and a singlet). Some regular gyms will have adult classes. You can do some conditioning and stretching at home to get started. I hope you find a class that works for you. Let us know how you get on!

I merged these two threads as they are actually by the same person. Now Jennifer it is against the rules to have more than one account on the CB. SO please PM me and decide which one you wish to keep. Double posting is really not cool either.

Ok first to the Admin, I am sorry :( It wont happen again :) I would like to use this one I am on right now. :)

Let me first just say to all of you. THANK YOU so much !! I didn't even know there was an AAU Junior Olmpics! I said I wanted an Olympic Gold Medal. I didn't say from where ;) :) No, seriously. you just opened my eyes up a lot. ALL of you did. Thanks so much for the encouragement too! I literally beaming right now. no pun intended to the balance beam haha. Well, I did some looking around and I am concerned about this one gym in Philadelphia. I don't know if I can get the proper "training" I want, but then again, I would defer to all of you. But the part about - the coaches on the sidelines just looking at their iphones the whole time, was the exact fear that popped into my head ... spotters?
Maybe you can have a look and tell me,just from looking - what you think and your thoughts. I am very new so your insight would be greatly appreciated.
Upper Merion Dance & Gymnastics Center, LLC. 421 Feheley Drive, Unit B, King of Prussia, PA 19406
Here is a video example. there are others too under the user name. I hope I can post this link --- Adult gymnastics with Coach Lex in Philadelphia PA - YouTube

I signed up for weekend classes and it made me sign a waiver? Is this normal? Also, Its the closest Adult Gymnastics Place to me. I am about to find out what an Hr commute looks like too. Can someone tell me more about this AAU 17+ gymnastics?

Also, could a female private message me about leo's I gots some girly questions and sizing and um, movement haha.

Again, I hope I don't become a pain but I have a lot of questions and I am so glad I came and read these posts. Even yours admin person :) Again, sorry about the double account and post thing.

Have a great day everyone :)

Also, Feel free to talk to me like I am an idiot. Pretend I am brand new to the sport please; basically I am :) I only know the names of some things. I think I should go pick up Gymnastics For Dummies. :) I also appreciate the time you all put into your posts. I wanted to mention that too. Thanks :)

Update: I found a rec center that has a class one day a week a night. They say that Instruction is available to those new to the sport... Im wondering just how much. I am also posting this for anyone else who might live in the South New Jersey or Philadelphia,PA area .

Adult Gymnastics | Kendrick Recreation Center

Most gyms will allow you a trial class for free so you can see how you like it. That should give you a feel for how a typical class will go. Also when you go you can let the coach know your goals so that they can try to meet your expectations.

Ok first to the Admin, I am sorry :( It wont happen again :) I would like to use this one I am on right now. :)

Let me first just say to all of you. THANK YOU so much !! I didn't even know there was an AAU Junior Olmpics! I said I wanted an Olympic Gold Medal. I didn't say from where ;) :) No, seriously. you just opened my eyes up a lot. ALL of you did. Thanks so much for the encouragement too! I literally beaming right now. no pun intended to the balance beam haha. Well, I did some looking around and I am concerned about this one gym in Philadelphia. I don't know if I can get the proper "training" I want, but then again, I would defer to all of you. But the part about - the coaches on the sidelines just looking at their iphones the whole time, was the exact fear that popped into my head ... spotters?
Maybe you can have a look and tell me,just from looking - what you think and your thoughts. I am very new so your insight would be greatly appreciated.
Upper Merion Dance & Gymnastics Center, LLC. 421 Feheley Drive, Unit B, King of Prussia, PA 19406
Here is a video example. there are others too under the user name. I hope I can post this link --- Adult gymnastics with Coach Lex in Philadelphia PA - YouTube

I signed up for weekend classes and it made me sign a waiver? Is this normal? Also, Its the closest Adult Gymnastics Place to me. I am about to find out what an Hr commute looks like too. Can someone tell me more about this AAU 17+ gymnastics?

Also, could a female private message me about leo's I gots some girly questions and sizing and um, movement haha.

Again, I hope I don't become a pain but I have a lot of questions and I am so glad I came and read these posts. Even yours admin person :) Again, sorry about the double account and post thing.

Have a great day everyone :)

Please do not ask females to PM you about private issues. That is just asking for trouble. Talk to a female coach at your gym.

I will delete your other account.

I can tell you upper marion has a ladies team, I saw them compete back in Oct. They're quite good, and a great group of ladies. I have no idea what they're classes are like though, but since you have a desire to one day compete, that may be an option to look into.Go to AAU website, that has tons of information on it.

Thanks for deleting my other account. Are you for real-zies on that cause I was just trying to not make the male vistors uncomfortable and plus, they be girl issues haha. :)

Thanks for deleting my other account. Are you for real-zies on that cause I was just trying to not make the male vistors uncomfortable and plus, they be girl issues haha. :)

Are you for real??? DO you seriously think it is a good idea to ask complete strangers on the internet to message you about "private female issues related to leos"??? Get real, anyone could be pretending to be anyone on here. Do not ask strangers about private issues.

ARGH!!!!

Calm down there Admin lol. I assumed since we are in the ADULT section of this site, that it would be safe. But Ok, I wont do that any more And I am real. I assume everyone else is to, and adults. Since I haven't gone to a gym yet, I can;t simply " ask the coach at my gym" and didn't want to be unprepared on my first day. But thats just my way of thinking haha.

Calm down there Admin lol. I assumed since we are in the ADULT section of this site, that it would be safe. But Ok, I wont do that any more And I am real. I assume everyone else is to, and adults. Since I haven't gone to a gym yet, I can;t simply " ask the coach at my gym" and didn't want to be unprepared on my first day. But thats just my way of thinking haha.

There are no private sections on the CB. Anyone in the world with a computer can read everything you post without even having a membership. Anyone can make a membership, and any freak can pretend to be a caring female who wants to help. You have to expect that for every real member here there are at least two freaks, and for every two freaks there are at least 20 total freaky lurkers. Internet safety is no joke.

Before you go to your "first day" go check out the gym and watch a session. Probably watching will answer most questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back