New here. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

X

xleahcarx

Hi, My name is Rachael and I did gymnastics for 15 years. I am now a Level 6 coach at a YMCA in Wisconsin. I've been coaching for 4 years. I've also coached pre-team and level 4,5 and prep optional. I sometimes also help out with the optionals. Gymnastics is my passion and I love learning new things. Coaching is amazing and I am so lucky to have a job that I love going to.

Rachel Welcom to the chalk bucket. My daughter is a level 6 almost 9 yrs old now. Can I ask your opinion on something? Her highest score so far in level 6 was 34.350. If this your student would you recommend them too move to level 7? My daughter cant wait until she can work on making her own routines. I tried telling her that she should stay in level 6 longer so she can get her routines down better, but she just wants to be level 7. Before summer training starts we have to fill out a parent form asking what level your daughter should go in. The coaches give a opinion where they think they should go. Should I let her go too 7?

Hi Rachel, Welcome! I just recently discovered this forum myself, and I love being able to get input from coaches!!

Bay Valley - please forgive me for barging into your question with my 2 cents, but just wanted to tell my DD's story... my older DD was a 9 yr old level 6. Her highest score was 35.15. At L6 States, she was in the lower-middle of the pack in her age group. She moved up to L7 and while she did love having optional routines, there were certain skills that gave her ALOT of grief - for example, the clear hip and the dreaded beam series connection. She was scoring in the 34's but that put her closer to the bottom of L7 States. Here was a kid who was used to scoring 9's on beam and high 8's on bars, to lo-to-mid 8's on beam and 7s on bars. I'm rambling....I don't know what would have been better....if she had stayed a L6 would she have gotten her skills for 7 any easier? Probably not. IMHO it's more important to see what skills they need & have, vs. what they were scoring in the previous level.

Hi, My name is Rachael and I did gymnastics for 15 years. I am now a Level 6 coach at a YMCA in Wisconsin. I've been coaching for 4 years. I've also coached pre-team and level 4,5 and prep optional. I sometimes also help out with the optionals. Gymnastics is my passion and I love learning new things. Coaching is amazing and I am so lucky to have a job that I love going to.

Hey Rachael welcome to chalkbucket! Nationals is in Wisconsin this year! Were you at washington for last years?

Should I let her go too 7?

Thanks I'm excited to be posting on this board.

It really depends. I don't base it off there scores so much. I have girls that can get 34's and still not be ready. I wouldn't allow one of my girls to go up to level seven until they have the level seven skills. So, if they work the summer and get all/majority of there level seven skill then they go up. It's like if someone can do an awesome level 5 tumbling pass on floor but, couldn't do there back tuck after the summer... it wouldn't make sense for them to compete level six yet. They would need another year of level five and to work towards getting that skill and be ready for it. I think it's better to give the gymnast another year of the same level then to put them in a higher level when they might not be ready. I was one of those gymnasts actually. When I did gymnastics I wasn't ready for level seven bars but, I moved up because everything else I did very well. I hated struggling and had to work a lot harder than the other girls. It was also hard for my mom to see me down becuase I wasn't ready. I should have stayed in level 6 another year to work on my bars. Maybe you could talk to the coaches about it and tell them your unsure and get there opinion. Tell them you think another year in level six would be good but, if she is ready for level seven you don't want to hold her back. I know this may not of been what you were asking for but, I hope I still helped. :)

Hey Rachael welcome to chalkbucket! Nationals is in Wisconsin this year! Were you at washington for last years?

No I didn't go last year I stayed back and coached the girls that chose not to go to nationals and the head coach went to washington. This year I will be going and I'm really excited because all my girls are going except one who will be on vacation.

No I didn't go last year I stayed back and coached the girls that chose not to go to nationals and the head coach went to washington. This year I will be going and I'm really excited because all my girls are going except one who will be on vacation.

yeah I no nationals is soo much fun! How close are you to where it is this year?

backwalkover??

hi rachel i really need your help with my backwalkover ok. heres the sutition i can go to bridge from a standing position but i cannot kick over even with the help of my coach(who does all the work)i have a trampoline with a safety net on it i sit at the edge as close to the net with my feet facing the net i push up to bridge the place my right foot on the net i push off the net and swing my left leg over but when i try on the trampoline without the net its almost impossible once i get the move started i can kind of carry on but how can i progress :confused:
thanks
gym-monkey:)
(please quote this so i can find your reply if u reply):D

hi rachel i really need your help with my backwalkover ok. heres the sutition i can go to bridge from a standing position but i cannot kick over even with the help of my coach(who does all the work)i have a trampoline with a safety net on it i sit at the edge as close to the net with my feet facing the net i push up to bridge the place my right foot on the net i push off the net and swing my left leg over but when i try on the trampoline without the net its almost impossible once i get the move started i can kind of carry on but how can i progress :confused:
thanks
gym-monkey:)
(please quote this so i can find your reply if u reply):D

Seems to me the problem might come from a lack of shoulder and/or lower back flexibility. Without the proper strength and flexibility, it is difficult to do. Keep praticing the back walkover. Doing back walkover type skills and exercises without having good shoulder flexibility can cause a lot of stress on the lower back. Start working on some shoulder flexibility. A lot of the kick over part comes from the shoulder not just the legs. Make sure you think about that when doing the skill.

Heres some shoulder flexibility.

-Lay on stomach and put hands behind your head. Have someone pull your elbows together as far as they can go hold for 30-45 seconds.
-Still laying on stomach put your arms down by your sides. Have someone pull your arms up as far as they can go. hold for 30-45 seconds.
-not put your arms above you have someone pull your arms up as far as they can go without removing your forehead from the floor. hold for 30-45 seconds.
-Put your hands on a medium or high beam and hand someone push on your shoulders for 30-35 seconds.
-get into a bridge, push shoulders over and past hands...try to go your legs straight.

thats just some stuff you can do everyday...i'm sure your coach could give you more....also try do do some back strength as well.

Good luck and hope it works out. :)

thank you

Seems to me the problem might come from a lack of shoulder and/or lower back flexibility. Without the proper strength and flexibility, it is difficult to do. Keep praticing the back walkover. Doing back walkover type skills and exercises without having good shoulder flexibility can cause a lot of stress on the lower back. Start working on some shoulder flexibility. A lot of the kick over part comes from the shoulder not just the legs. Make sure you think about that when doing the skill.

Heres some shoulder flexibility.

-Lay on stomach and put hands behind your head. Have someone pull your elbows together as far as they can go hold for 30-45 seconds.
-Still laying on stomach put your arms down by your sides. Have someone pull your arms up as far as they can go. hold for 30-45 seconds.
-not put your arms above you have someone pull your arms up as far as they can go without removing your forehead from the floor. hold for 30-45 seconds.
-Put your hands on a medium or high beam and hand someone push on your shoulders for 30-35 seconds.
-get into a bridge, push shoulders over and past hands...try to go your legs straight.

thats just some stuff you can do everyday...i'm sure your coach could give you more....also try do do some back strength as well.

Good luck and hope it works out. :)

thank you so much i have 2 videos on youtube look up my channel shellygymnast131 and tell me what you think
thanks again
gym-monkey
:D:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back