Parents Well, I think we are done.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

misshoneybee

Proud Parent
Last night my dd was cut from another team tryout. This is the 3rd time in 4 months teams have said no to her. She is rehabbing her back after rehabbing her wrist, she is too tall, and lost her kip again throughout the last month because her coaches didn't want her in the gym with her back injury. She loves the sport, insisted on competing USAG because she loves working out 12+ hours a week, and everyone I know says her work ethic is impeccable.

I don't know what happened during the last tryout, maybe she lost her spark in her eye, maybe they just want teeny tiny gymnasts,maybe she is not a good gymnast. I feel terrible that I put her through this again she was devastated. One of the gym owners asked me when she was going to start, and the other gym owner said she just isn't ready to compete and to come back some other time. I guess I was a bit dellusional, maybe I thought she was better than she was, she competed one meet last year L5 and scored a 33.5 (I think) I really believed in my dd and thought her love for the sport and her hard work and tenacity during rehab would pull her through this which is why I agreed to this tryout in the first place.

I told her last night she really needs to consider doing something else like dance, diving, etc. Naturally it didn't go over very well. I hope today is a better day. I am saying to no to any more tryouts, I can't put her through this anymore.

I hope this is one of those situations where you come out the other side so much better off that you only wish it had happened sooner. May some wonderful hobby/passion delight your daughter in wonderful and amazing ways.

That makes me sad. I don't understand why coaches don't want hardworking kids, even if they aren't their "ideal gymnast". I wouldn't want to put my kid through more disappointment either, but I just can't understand why someone won't give her a chance. My daughter started her L5 season with a 33 something, not a bad start, in my opinion. Sending you cyber hugs and for your daughter, too.

I feel like I am the crazy one. She asked me last night before bed if she could do a beginning gymnastics class somewhere to see if she got an invitation to be on their team. Prior to her back muscle pull, she was working back handsprings with much success on the beam, front walkovers on the beam with 100% of the time nailing them, she had her ROBHS on the floor, her vault was not that great she scored a 7.5 in her last meet on vault, her bars needed work, she never properly learned her kip and prior to her back injury end of July she was connecting all of her L5 bar skills and had all of her L6 skills except for her free hip. Her flyaway was awesome...everything just fell apart in the matter of 30 days. I guess she is too old too...she just turned 12 and it looks like she would have to repeat L5.

That makes me sad. I don't understand why coaches don't want hardworking kids, even if they aren't their "ideal gymnast". I wouldn't want to put my kid through more disappointment either, but I just can't understand why someone won't give her a chance. My daughter started her L5 season with a 33 something, not a bad start, in my opinion. Sending you cyber hugs and for your daughter, too.

I know our HC would never turn away any child with a passion for gymnastics, no matter what her body type or skill level. This just seems so strange to me. Is this normal for your area? Are the gyms so ultra-competitive that they are so picky?

What about a Y team or a non-USAG track (or prep op/xcell)? Do you have videos of your daughter from last season? Maybe you can get a commitment from a gym without a try-out based on a video and conversations with you? Even if she had to drop back to level 4, I would think that once she got her strength and confidence back, she would progress pretty quickly. Or follow your daughter's suggestion... do your research and find the gym that's the best fit for your daughter and your family and then sign her up for rec classes. Hope for a team invite. At the very least, it will keep her strong and in-shape while she figures out what comes next.

What a tough situation for you and your daughter. My heart goes out to you.

I think it is ultra-competitive and I am looking at the wrong gyms OR, there is something that I have said or done in the past that has blacklisted her. I can't think of anything that I have done but at this point I guess anything is possible. I appreciate your suggestions about the Y team etc. We have some rec opportunities in the area and maybe she will revisit that track. I have some video's of her but not her whole routine. we taped at her last meet but we were sitting so far away it they are really hard to see. I get a D- for finding a gym that is a good fit, I don't have much confidence in myself anymore.

I have a DDwho is 8 who has been devastated by tryouts, so I understand. It's made worse by the fact that her six year old sister is quickly progressing to well beyond her sister's skills. DD has now devoted her efforts to dance and swimming. May I suggest the XCEL program? It also is USAG sponsored and she sounds like a perfect candidate for it, and would do really well. I understand it is usually less practice hours, but maybe you could find a good gym with it. Just an idea. If I realized how this sport could break hearts so easily, I would have never have started that Mommy and Me class, but little DD is hooked. And older DD has done a good job of moving on. Best of luck.

I know she was against any path aside from JO but if her choices are no gymnastics at all vs excel, then she may choose excel. This would allow her to stay in the sport and practice more than in a rec class. At her level, it would be a waste to just do rec classes for a couple hours a week. Or, you could steer her to tumbling, cheer, dance. Is there rythmic gymnastics there?

I'm with Mary on this. DD's gym would never turn down a hard working gymnasts with the history of skills your dd has had. No matter her age.

Maybe you could try PM-ing some of the coaches on this site (Dunno seems to know EVERYONE) and see if you can get any suggestions for gyms in your area, and maybe even someone to put in a good word for you. Or possibly even find out if there is some "blacklisting" going on and if so, why. (My internal "political correctness" alarm is going off. I think "blacklisting" may be a bad term to use, but I'm at a loss to think of a synonym.) It may be some sort of misunderstanding that could be easily explained to coaches/gym owners once you know what is going on.

I am sorry that your daughter is having such trouble! I wonder if there are other smaller gyms that you could try? Seems like a up and comer would like to add and grow w/you daughter.

I agree -- it is so sad that it seems there are no teams willing to take on a hard working passionate gymnast, even if she is a bit older or doesn't have the perfect body type. Not every girl has to be headed for elite or even for level 10, but as long as they're having fun who cares?

I agree with the others, maybe if the option is doing Excel or quitting gymnastics, she'll choose Excel. Tell her that it is possible she might be able to move back to JO at some point, but that right now with her injuries Excel is a better choice.

And yes, this forum is a great resource and you never know when someone will be able to help you with something! Maybe you can get a good recommendation from a coach here.

I have never heard of Xcel - maybe that is an option. I went to their website and couldn't find any local club info. I will continue to look into it. Thank you so much.

This sounds crazy to me. I am a coach in Region 5 and if we had a gymnast come in from an outside program we would have her do a quick tryout(usually for rec) or do a practice with our team. After practice, us team coaches get together and decide where said gymnast would fit best, whether it be with our team or starting out in the rec/pre team program. We would never tell someone that we have no place for her.

I don't get it either...I've never heard of such a thing. Check out xcel/prep-op...would be a great option for her..

I have never heard of Xcel - maybe that is an option. I went to their website and couldn't find any local club info. I will continue to look into it. Thank you so much.

Xcel is a USAG program, but I don't think a list exists for gyms that offer it. You might want to check on your state USAG site to see if they have some information. Many gyms do put information about their Xcel program on their web sites so you may have to look there.

Xcel is a USAG program, but I don't think a list exists for gyms that offer it. You might want to check on your state USAG site to see if they have some information. Many gyms do put information about their Xcel program on their web sites so you may have to look there.

an easy way to find the information is just to call some of the local gyms and ask but you can also go on mymeetscores.com and look for meets in your state. Most xcel meets are held in Jan - mar, though some hold theirs in the fall. Instead of looking for # levels, you will see B, S, G, P for the levels. Most xcel meets are held with optional levels 7-10.

If you post what state you are in, maybe someone can help find some gyms for you.

Xcel Program this is the link for the Region 5 rules for xcel.

an easy way to find the information is just to call some of the local gyms and ask but you can also go on mymeetscores.com and look for meets in your state. Most xcel meets are held in Jan - mar, though some hold theirs in the fall. Instead of looking for # levels, you will see B, S, G, P for the levels. Most xcel meets are held with optional levels 7-10.

If you post what state you are in, maybe someone can help find some gyms for you.

Xcel Program this is the link for the Region 5 rules for xcel.

Just a word of warning...X-Cel/Prep-op rules/guidelines/criteria are very different state to state and gym to gym. Here, it is known as prep-op and they compete at meets with the lower USAG levels (3 and 4 usually).

Just a word of warning...X-Cel/Prep-op rules/guidelines/criteria are very different state to state and gym to gym. Here, it is known as prep-op and they compete at meets with the lower USAG levels (3 and 4 usually).

OP is from region 5, which is why I provided the Region 5 Xcel link. Typically, where the Region has created rules for xcel, all the states in that region follow those rules, or stay close to them. I am not in Region 5, though, so I don't know for sure. Kate is correct that all gyms treat xcel differently. Some only compete a couple levels. Some use it as a substitution year for L6. You really wont know until you speak with the individual gyms.

:hugonwings:Sending a hug to you and hope she is able to find a program that is a fit for her. In reading the posts I was thinking x-cell too and worth looking into :) keep us posted.

OP is from region 5, which is why I provided the Region 5 Xcel link. Typically, where the Region has created rules for xcel, all the states in that region follow those rules, or stay close to them. I am not in Region 5, though, so I don't know for sure. Kate is correct that all gyms treat xcel differently. Some only compete a couple levels. Some use it as a substitution year for L6. You really wont know until you speak with the individual gyms.

oops, sorry, I missed where she was from...will stop trying to be helpful now LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back