Other sports relating to gymnastics without risk of head injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What are some other sports that are related to gymnastics that do not involve high risk of head injury? I may not be cleared to do gymnastics again because of too many concussions so I would like to continue with something related and not put myself in any danger of getting another head injury. I know you can never guarantee that you will not get an injury but some sports would be safer than others. For example, a lot of people have told me that pole vaulting should appeal to me as a gymnast and it does but it is very easy to fall on your head pole vaulting! Thanks everyone!

Very sorry to hear that. I would think certain forms of dance. Tennis is a power game with little chance of head injury.

Really? I would think figure skating would have a high risk of head injury. Ice is harder than mats. But yes, I think dance might be your best bet. I would think that with the strength and flexibility you have, you could advance very quickly in dance.

Really? I would think figure skating would have a high risk of head injury. Ice is harder than mats. But yes, I think dance might be your best bet. I would think that with the strength and flexibility you have, you could advance very quickly in dance.

Yes, but figure skaters don't do flips. The primarily stay vertical. When they fall it is usually with their head up off the ice. Not saying she could hit her head. It happens but it is much less likely than in the gym with all the flipping.

Yes, but figure skaters don't do flips. The primarily stay vertical. When they fall it is usually with their head up off the ice. Not saying she could hit her head. It happens but it is much less likely than in the gym with all the flipping.

Personally I would not risk it with a gymnast who seems to have had many accidents in the gym leading to their current situation.

Edited to add: I don't know how bad the impacts of diving are, but perhaps this is a good option as you seem naturally drawn to landing on your head :eek:

I did flying trapeze when I stopped. As there's net and you're attached.. Really, there's no risk.

I think diving is actually a pretty high-risk sport. I don't think it's uncommon to hit your head on the diving board. I found a list of sports with the highest concussion risk. Both gymnastics and diving are on the list... Sport Concussions - Dr. Michael Czarnota

And while in the trampoline practicing the flips. Not to mention the impact of hitting the water.

What about rhythmic gymnastics? Though you have to be in an area that offers it.

For example, a lot of people have told me that pole vaulting should appeal to me as a gymnast and it does but it is very easy to fall on your head pole vaulting! Thanks everyone!

Actually there are many track and field events that gymnasts tend to pick up quickly and perform well because gymnasts have quickness, good coordination and flexibility. High jump would probably be too risky, but triple jump would be no risk and possibly hurdles.

Triple jump combines speed, coordination and flexibility, 3 three things gymnasts can do well. Not many people are able coordinate the hop skip jump while running full speed.

olympic weightlifting. former gymnasts are perfect for it (fast, strong, flexible, good coordination and motor learning skills), and i never heard or saw a head injury there. very few injuries even at elite level in fact.

Lift like a girl!

...just one more thing for weightlifting: it's a sport that takes a lot of guts to do. and lots and lots of practice time. also very nice to watch elite lifters at their weightclasses (-58kg and -53kg): Julia Rohde and Zoe Smith . both of them did really well at london.

Anything that requires balance, timing, quickness, strength, flexibility, and patience. Golf, bowling, tennis, badmitten, table tennis (don't worry, the ball's not that heavy), track and field with the exceptions already noted, archery, weightlifting (wish I could lift like a girl ;)), and two of my all time favorites.....tiddly winks and croquet. :D

Can't think of much more except crossfit which is a bit hard to explain but its basically strength and conditioning competition done to time i.e. how long it takes you to complete a set of exercises. It requires a huge amount of strength that you would already have from gymnastics, lots of discipline - also from gymnastics, and as it is mainly things like chin ups muscle ups on rings, squats, some weight lifting etc it would have a low risk of concussion.

[video=youtube;tzD9BkXGJ1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M[/video]

Acro? If you're big enough to be a base you're only doing very simple tumbling- RO BT sort if stuff. You're top is the one flipping, the only real risk to your head is if she lands on you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back