Coaches Jaegers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been working on jaegers for quite some time. When I first began working on them, I was easily able to catch a few, but then I just stopped catching. It's been about 1/2 a year now, and I still haven't caught another one. I was just wondering what I might be doing wrong so that I am not catching. My form is good, and my hands usually hit the bar, but I still can't catch. Frustrating! I'm not really sure how to "see" the bar before I catch it, so that might be part of it. Also, I don't really know/have any good drills to work on. Finally, I do tucked jaegers, and I am worried that this might not view well in the eyes of colleges. Should I be working on straddled jaegers, or does this really matter? Thanks for reading!

need video. and no, the college coaches won't care.

I would guess that either your tap or your release is either too early or too late.

A video would be EXTREMELY helpful.

I posted two videos- here is one of my more recent ones, which I didn't catch: Jaeger2 - YouTube
and one of the ones I caught when I first started learning them- Jaeger - YouTube

Ok, look at 0:09. From your heel drive coming down, you transition to hollow/pike around 30 degrees after vertical; that's WAAAAY too early. You should be driving your heels down towards the low bar until AT LEAST horizontal, maybe even a bit later. This will cause the entire tap to occur later, which should naturally give you a slightly later release and put you a little bit higher and a little bit closer to the bar.

Hope this helps!

Work on your extension over the low bar. Get in the strap bar and work tons of whip tap front giants.

EDIT: By the way...great work...keep it up!

Last edited:
yep, the body is not extended straight out over the low bar. the body goes from straight to hollow at the low bar. not pike.

but your problem now is that you are doing it from a blind change. your thumbs are now wrapped around the bar. they are not in the single cast to jaeger. you thumbs go across the rail not wrapped around. you can see your wrists abruptly stop at the bottom of the swing in the blind change video. they don't in the other.

yep, the body is not extended straight out over the low bar. the body goes from straight to hollow at the low bar. not pike.

but your problem now is that you are doing it from a blind change. your thumbs are now wrapped around the bar. they are not in the single cast to jaeger. you thumbs go across the rail not wrapped around. you can see your wrists abruptly stop at the bottom of the swing in the blind change video. they don't in the other.

Absolutely astute. Could I add that a visual reference can help out with the timing....like watch the low bar during your backswing tap, and when the tap rotates you to the point you're "losing sight" of the low bar i's time to release. If that takes you off too early you can change to a spot below and in front of the low bar....still too early try a spot directly beneath the low bar.....and one last thing, stay tight because if you grab the high bar with a loose body, you ain't gonna hang on even to the good ones.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back