MAG Question regarding scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

sjm2b3

Proud Parent
I never paid much attention to scores last year. This year I know the scoring has changed and I think for the most part I understand, you are rewarded for bonuses but its a risk reward thing. For example, I saw some beautiful high bar routines but a few fell on the flyaway (level 5 bonus) so their scores were super low....from what I understand not only did they not get bonus, they also took deduction for the fall. Now, can anyone help me understand mushroom? If you attempt the bonuses but fall off, you lose the bonuses.....do you also get a fall deduction and then when you get back up they can deduct execution on the rest of the bonus circles, even though you aren't getting credit for them? I just saw some awesome routines with scores that didn't seem to match. I'm not trying to understand completely, but I like to know a little so when I watch it makes more sense!!!

Dunno will be able to say better, but from what I understand, they lose the bonus points, and they get deducted for any form breaks, plus the fall. YOu don't lose points for what you didn't do, unless it is a required element. But any form deductions are still taken, plus the fall deduction, and no credit for bonues.

I never paid much attention to scores last year. This year I know the scoring has changed and I think for the most part I understand, you are rewarded for bonuses but its a risk reward thing. For example, I saw some beautiful high bar routines but a few fell on the flyaway (level 5 bonus) so their scores were super low....from what I understand not only did they not get bonus, they also took deduction for the fall. Now, can anyone help me understand mushroom? If you attempt the bonuses but fall off, you lose the bonuses.....do you also get a fall deduction and then when you get back up they can deduct execution on the rest of the bonus circles, even though you aren't getting credit for them? I just saw some awesome routines with scores that didn't seem to match. I'm not trying to understand completely, but I like to know a little so when I watch it makes more sense!!!

most men judges let this stuff go. they won't take the full deductions that exist. the scores are lower overall because the code that dictates all this stuff was changed. and now they have bonus also. so again, pay attention to performance. this is something that can be quantified & qualified. scores not so much. maybe 2 years in when everyone knows what they're doing.:)

Thanks to you both. This helps. I guess it seemed like at this meet they were rewarding perfection with the basic routine, rather than pretty good with bonus. I am not sure if that is clear, but it was interesting! I personally would rather see DS go for it with the challenging things (assuming safe and relatively well done) vs win with a basic routine. I was a gymnast as a kid, and I now remember just how subjective this sport can be!!!

We've been to three meets so far, and it seems pretty clear that the scoring with the new system is still very much a work in progress, LOL. Take level 5 vault, for example. At the first meet, our guys were pretty much at the lower end of the middle of the pack with mostly mid to high 8s. Second meet, bottom of the pack with mid 8s and lots of guys over them in the high 9s. Coach said they weren't running fast enough. Last meet -- a huge meet with lots of really strong gyms -- each of our gymnasts left with exactly one medal. Of the seven who competed, four of them got their medals on vault, and two were tied for third place!

As far as I can tell, they are all pretty much vaulting the same vault at each meet. Well, except for DS, who at the last meet, was caught in sports continuous photography throwing his head back just before he hit the mat with his hands and vaulting in a beautiful arched C shaped position. Thank goodness he got his feet under him somehow! How in the heck he got a 9 out of that I will never know . . .:eek:

The number one variable in judging is the quality of the judge. The more experienced judges will find more deductions and thus lower scores. In general - more ties or a tight range of scores = less experienced judges. Judges, like coaches, don't do this for the money, and are usually making their best effort, and as they gain experience the scores will become more "accurate". As Dunno posted earlier, focus on discrete, measurable goals: # of sticks, make a certain skill, hold a press etc. Understand that scores WILL fluctuate in a 1-2 point range. If you are cataloging your boys scores and comparing them from meet to meet...please stop now. You'll only give yourself a headache trying to understand why the ups and downs :)

Well said Krc. Our coach does an excellent job of this (focusing on a skill or stick vs score). DS is clueless about scores and hopefully that lasts a bit longer.

The number one variable in judging is the quality of the judge. The more experienced judges will find more deductions and thus lower scores. In general - more ties or a tight range of scores = less experienced judges. Judges, like coaches, don't do this for the money, and are usually making their best effort, and as they gain experience the scores will become more "accurate". As Dunno posted earlier, focus on discrete, measurable goals: # of sticks, make a certain skill, hold a press etc. Understand that scores WILL fluctuate in a 1-2 point range. If you are cataloging your boys scores and comparing them from meet to meet...please stop now. You'll only give yourself a headache trying to understand why the ups and downs :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back