Parents Good News/Bad News

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmonkeymomma

Proud Parent
Good stuff first -
DD did a beautiful beam routine in her Level 5 sectional today..... although the judges didn't agree. Her coach even said something to the judge.... Anyway, it was a nice routine. Overall, the scores were very low. Even one of the best teams was only getting 7's and low 8's.

Someone asked about the "gymnast walk" in another thread, and I asked DD if she would do it. She did and she looked so nice (compared to her teammates who just ran across the floor to their spot). She scored 8.6 and placed 4th in the 7-8 yr old group. I believe she was the only 7 yr old, the other girls were all older 8's.

Now the bad....
DD only scored 7.4 on vault

And the ugly....
Bars, ugh.... not only did she not make her squat on (two tries), she literally was CARRIED by the coach from 1 bar to the other. I just don't know what to do. She is upset with herself over this.

Last edited:
oh gosh poor thing.i feel for her. Our last meet my dd did this amazing floor routine....she put her hand down on her backwards roll and it was counted as a fall...nice try to your dd..

way to go for your dd on Floor:) I am sorry she didn't get the score she deserved on beam. Some judges are just brutal, ugh so I am totally with you on the under scored routines.

Bars:( She will get through this, practice is going better and she was probably just feeling a lot of pressure about actually doing it in a meet vs practice. She will nail it one of these days.

Vault... I think level 5 vault is brutal for a lot of the smaller girls since that vault table is so big. At least she went over though:) I have seen a lot of level 5s just totally balk at the vault in meets and get a 0 for a final score.

I say celebrate floor and beam:) and look forward to the next meet if you guys have one:)

and look forward to the next meet if you guys have one:)

Next meet is the wkend of April 26-27. Depending on her coaches, she might do the 3rd Level 5 Sectional (she really really wants to go to States, and who am I to deny her?? ). Entry deadline is Wed so they have to decide. The good thing is, if she does qualify, she has a fighting chance since there usually is a 7 yr old age group separate from the 8 yr olds. That's the main reason why I'm entertaining letting her try again. At an older age group, I would say forget it.

If the coaches decide not to give Sectionals another try, she will compete in a USAIGC meet with the rest of the team. USAIGC is a great ego booster - the Bronze routines are simple and bars is kip, cast, hip circle, tuck flyaway! Her beam and floor are "fun" routines. She did very well in her last USAIGC meet.

Medic3188 she scored 8.6 on FX

Sounds like your DD did well. If you notice there are very few All Around gymnasts even at the Olympic level. They all have strengths and weaknesses its what makes them all unique. Sometimes things are hard now and sometimes they are easier later. My daughter also struggles at bars and for her at Level 7 it is a total confidence thing. So her coach is working hard on this with her giving her small sucesses a practice. This is working great for her but we are in the off season no pressure. However put her on beam and she is a rock star. I'm sure your daughter will gain confidence and do better as time goes on. Be thankful she is not 12yrs and because with that age group comes fear they never had before. Best of luck to her the rest of the season.

Just to be a 7 year old level 5 is amazing, such a lot of skills so young.

Hard to see a great beam routine judged so harshly, it is hard for a 7yr old to get why a great routine didn't score well.

We got that on floor at our last meet, all the girls from our club got over a point less than they usually do, the judge came from a rival club who came a very close 2nd to us in the team awards (coincidence???).

Bars will come in time, we have girls winning 1st place this year who couldn't even climb up and jump last year. It is a challenge to watch them struggle, but bars is very hard skill wise compared to the other apparatus.

Her floor score sounds very respectable.

Give it time is the only advice I can give, as long as she is still having fun in the gym.:)

I know your heart probably hurt watching the bars, but it sounds like she did really good on beam and floor & you should be very proud of her!!! CONGRATS on the 4th place!!! That 8.6 on floor is awesome! Maybe she just needs to build a little more confidence at practice with the bars. Did you just get done w/L4 in Jan and go right into 5? I know our L5 team is struggling too, one of our best vaulters in L4 is having a hard time adjusting. And, some of our best L4 bars are also feeling a little "bar challenged" in L5. I am thinking your coach will send her to the #3 because a lot can happen in the next couple weeks.

Do you know if the scores are posted yet somewhere? I wanted to see how our team did, but nothing was posted at the USAG site yet.

Good Luck to her on whatever you guys decide on doing the 3rd divisional or not.
It is also nice that you have that other gymnastics division to compete in:) I wish we had something like that here too.
Yes and I will repeat what someone else said... being 7 and a level 5 is a big WOW!!!!!!!

Did you just get done w/L4 in Jan and go right into 5? I know our L5 team is struggling too, one of our best vaulters in L4 is having a hard time adjusting. And, some of our best L4 bars are also feeling a little "bar challenged" in L5. I am thinking your coach will send her to the #3 because a lot can happen in the next couple weeks.

Do you know if the scores are posted yet somewhere? I wanted to see how our team did, but nothing was posted at the USAG site yet.

No, she finished level 4 in Jan 2007 so she's had an entire year to train for L5 and that's what so frustrating. Until I talked to the coach a month ago, nobody was even paying attention to the fact that she could not/would not do this skill!! I'm thinking at her age group, it is worth it to try to go to States since she is pretty good at beam and floor!

I have the scores since I handle meet registrations. I will PM you.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind and encouraging words. :)

I'm so sorry she had a tough time on vault and bars. She did great on beam and floor and I definitely think it is worth trying again to qualify to State since you will have a very small 7 year old group. My DD will be there next year. She is 6 this year and will be a 7 yr old Level 5 next year. I am quite sure she will have many vault scores in the 7s, that is if she even gets over the vault. She will no doubt also struggle to catch the high bar. Your dd is doing great for being so young!

Meg

Well, the coaches have decided to send all 3 girls to the last Sectional (even though my DD was the only one who "wanted" to compete. Right now she has a giant rip - the size of a quarter, on her palm. They made her a fake grip last night (bandages) and told her it will heal next week when she is out of practice. Little DD is having hernia surgery tomorrow, it is a small repair and the Dr said she will only need to be out of practice for 1 week.

Well, the coaches have decided to send all 3 girls to the last Sectional (even though my DD was the only one who "wanted" to compete. Right now she has a giant rip - the size of a quarter, on her palm. They made her a fake grip last night (bandages) and told her it will heal next week when she is out of practice. Little DD is having hernia surgery tomorrow, it is a small repair and the Dr said she will only need to be out of practice for 1 week.

good luck at Sectionals and w/ the surgery

yes good luck with sectionals and I am so glad she gets to go:)
I hope the surgery goes well tomorrow... I will be thinking about her:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back