Maroney vs. Mustafina... Ya gotta be kidding me

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

iwannacoach

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
I was stunned and agast that Mustafina was able to finish ahead of Maroney despite a fall on floor and an ugly vault with reasons to deduct prior to her fall. Yeah, I know Mckayla had a fall on beam and an obvious balance check, but Alina had a minor balance check and a major one.... and there is a deduction for pitching a tent and setting up camp prior to the dismount..... Geez she even had time for a campfire and 'smoors'..... so I figure beam was a wash except for Maroney's fall. So beam left Mckayla one point down..

So with at least a 1 point disadvantage and an ugly, ugly performance of an ugly vault.... did I use enough uglies.... she finishes ahead by an tiny bit. I just don't get it.

ITA, but in the end it really doesn't matter, Maroney cannot advance because of the stupid 2 per country world. I think Kyla and Simone are stronger AA gymnasts then Maroney at this point in time. Mustafina is top 2 on her team, regardless how ugly she looks on a given day.

and there is a deduction for pitching a tent and setting up camp prior to the dismount..... Geez she even had time for a campfire and 'smoors'.....

LOLOL. I noticed that.

However, I adore Mustafina. I'm sure I'm not alone in my infatuation. She just does the tortured Russian artist role so well - as my USSR friend says, "Seriously girl, you are not in gulag in Siberia - crack a smile!"

I haven't seen Maroney yet - will have to wait till I get home from work - could only sneak so many silent videos in @ my desk.

I love Aliya too and I think she belongs in the AA. Likewise i love McKayla -- but I just do not see her as an AA gymnast. She is not strong on bars or beam. She is in my opinion the greatest vaulter alive (yes, Simone is coming up right behind her and beat her in Qualifications, but McKayla is still # 1 vaulter). But I would not have chosen her as a AA competitor.

I'm not even going to compare the 2. I like them both for very different reasons. I'm kind of sad that Maroney doesn't get to be in FX event finals because her routine was Overtime. Crazy that her coaches and USAG didn't catch that. :/

I'm not even going to compare the 2. I like them both for very different reasons. I'm kind of sad that Maroney doesn't get to be in FX event finals because her routine was Overtime. Crazy that her coaches and USAG didn't catch that. :/

I totally missed that one. At least she didn't do a buttstand.

Completely agree with you, iwannacoach. I like how Mustafina's gymnastics looks sometimes....but definitely not this Worlds. I heard she was sick?? Her floor looked terrible. Her legs in that triple twist...it makes me want grimace every time I see it. I love Maroney. She's grown so much in the past year and I think it bodes well for her future :) She looks like she just needs more time for her beam to get there. Her floor looked awesome!!!

Likewise i love McKayla -- but I just do not see her as an AA gymnast.

I've seen a lost of comments like this on Twitter et al and it makes me a little sad. I wonder if McKayla is so dominant on vault that people can't see her otherwise. She finished top 8 AA at Worlds and didn't even compete all four events at Nationals. And took a lot of time off after the Olympics. I think she deserved the shot and time will tell how she really shakes out. Honestly, I don't think people thought of Aly R as an all arounder either and she beat out Jordyn at the Olympics. I love all these girls, but a lot can happen in 3 years.

I've seen a lost of comments like this on Twitter et al and it makes me a little sad. I wonder if McKayla is so dominant on vault that people can't see her otherwise. She finished top 8 AA at Worlds and didn't even compete all four events at Nationals. And took a lot of time off after the Olympics. I think she deserved the shot and time will tell how she really shakes out. Honestly, I don't think people thought of Aly R as an all arounder either and she beat out Jordyn at the Olympics. I love all these girls, but a lot can happen in 3 years.

I think Maroney is a good AA gymnast (especially if she can pull that beam score up, that was embarassing). But, the depth of talent for AA in the USA is really deep. In another country, she would be top 2 and moving on to finals. But in the USA, there is a lot of competition. It is harder here for her to be one of the top two in the country and make it to event finals. It remains to be seen if she can improve her other routines enough to move up within her own team. She is an amazing vaulter, but I wonder if that will be enough over the next 3 years to get her to Rio. There is a lot of young JO talent that will be moving up to Senior in the next 3 years...

Mustafina did not look like she felt good. She was all pasty and sweaty, but not the "I've worked out sweaty" with flushed cheeks, but rather pale sick sweaty. She may make a better showing at event finals if she's feeling better. If she is sick, it was a very good performance for not feeling well (I'd be in bed moaning most likely). If she feels fine, it was a pretty lousy performance for her. I mean, it was lousy overall compared to what she is capable of, but I understand things being off if you feel really awful and are sick.

I like them both too. Mustifina should not be ranked higher than Maroney really she did pretty bad. She did look ill and I feel for her. How bad would that stink to be really sick and have to do gymnastics?

I guess the vault judges must know a heck of a lot about how to do their job. Really, they must be of a higher intellect than we mere mortals. As evidence of this I'll direct you to the difference in execution and difficulty. Mustafina had the following values for her vault.
diff.... 5.800 exe.... 9.166 total score.... 14.966

This leaves me completely awestruck and reverent of her mystical ability. You have to admit it's hardly less than a miracle to take a 1.0 landing deduction, and a significant under rotation or lack of height or lack of stretch through the entire layout, and parlay that into a mere .834 in execution deductions. Maybe the judges were thinking of the two for one sale at the grand opening of Antwerp's first Walmart. Yeah, that's probably it..... they only charged 1 tenth for every 2 tenths of execution error.

Maroney? Hey all she did was two vaults, that nearly every competitor would envy, giving her a 5 tenth advantage in start value, but only scores 9 tenths higher than Mustafina. So what the judges would have us believe is that Mustafina didn't fall and put her hands down and aside from difficulty performed a vault just 4 tenths of a point away from Maroney.

Of course I'm biased, so what!

Thankfully its just qualifications. Hopefully things will play out differently in finals.

ETA - nevermind, they won't compete against each other again, I think...

I guess the vault judges must know a heck of a lot about how to do their job. Really, they must be of a higher intellect than we mere mortals. As evidence of this I'll direct you to the difference in execution and difficulty. Mustafina had the following values for her vault.
diff.... 5.800 exe.... 9.166 total score.... 14.966

This leaves me completely awestruck and reverent of her mystical ability. You have to admit it's hardly less than a miracle to take a 1.0 landing deduction, and a significant under rotation or lack of height or lack of stretch through the entire layout, and parlay that into a mere .834 in execution deductions. Maybe the judges were thinking of the two for one sale at the grand opening of Antwerp's first Walmart. Yeah, that's probably it..... they only charged 1 tenth for every 2 tenths of execution error.
Of course I'm biased, so what!

Mustifina fell on her second vault which was not counted towards the overall standings, just vault final chances. Her beam was a total over score however.

I'm sure all the eggs in the arena ran in fear as soon as she left the spring board. I wonder what she's missing in her background of basics that makes her part her legs and increase the difficulty of making it through L/A elements. You'd think she'd want to do it the easiest way possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back