Level 8 Floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

GymDad57

Can someone explain the requirements for Level 8 floor:
1 acro series with 2 saltos - 3 directly connected cro flights 2 of which are saltos. Please give example and identify which are saltos.

3 different saltos

and last salto.

Can you explain it in a nutshell for common eveyday dad who knows very little.

1 acro series with 2 saltos - 3 directly connected acro flights 2 of which are saltos:
you need 3 tumbling skills which have flight, and two of them must be a salto.

examples of this could be:
punch front salto- round-off- back salto
or round-off- whip (counts as a salto)- flip- back salto..... of course there are other possible lines as well

3 different saltos:
there needs to be 3 different types of saltos in the routine, e.g. front salto (tuck), back salto (tuck), back salto (layout)

a last salto:
I am assuming this means they must finish their last tumbling line with a salto of some kind

so to fulfil these requirements a gymnast could perform a punch front- round off - back salto for their first line and a round-off - (back flip) - Back layout salto for their second line

I hope this has helped you :)

(p.s a salto is a "flip" with no hands and can be done in a tuck, pike or layout/straight position) :)

Can someone explain the requirements for Level 8 floor:
1 acro series with 2 saltos - 3 directly connected cro flights 2 of which are saltos. Please give example and identify which are saltos.

3 different saltos

and last salto.

Can you explain it in a nutshell for common eveyday dad who knows very little.

These are old requirements.

The acro series does not have to include three flight elements. It may simply be two saltos.

A salto is any element which begins on two feet and ends on two or one (step out) and includes a 360 degree rotation (or 720 degrees) with or without twist. Front/back/side flips (without hand support) are all saltos.

I believe it must be 3 different salto's within the whole exersize. So for example 1 series could be front tuck step out, round off, flic, back tuck, and another could be round off, flic, back tuck and that would be 3 different salto's.

Examples I have seen:

RO, BHS, layouot; punch front thru RO, BHS, Back Tuck, RO, BHS, 1/2 or full twist or 1.5 twist

Same routine but in place of punch front thru back tuck some kids do FHS, front tuck front pike.

Occasionally see other variations but these seem to be the most common passes.

Also the USAG JO Cheat Sheet on deductions states 0.3 deduction (if I recall correctly) for lack of a B salto yet in the special requirements quick reference, a B salto is not listed as a special requirement (special requirements are usually worth a .5 though) ..assume the .3 is like the deduction for not being up to "competitive" level (a nebulous subjective thing). So all level 8 floor routines I have seen as already alluded to, have at least a full twisting salto or a front layout (B level).

all my level 8's had pretty much the same tumbling this year. Mount with double full (one did 1.5 punch front layout). 2nd pass front hsp front layout front pike/layout (one did hsp front full front layout). Last pass ro bhs full

Also the USAG JO Cheat Sheet on deductions states 0.3 deduction (if I recall correctly) for lack of a B salto yet in the special requirements quick reference, a B salto is not listed as a special requirement (special requirements are usually worth a .5 though) ..assume the .3 is like the deduction for not being up to "competitive" level (a nebulous subjective thing). So all level 8 floor routines I have seen as already alluded to, have at least a full twisting salto or a front layout (B level).

A Level 8 must have a B salto, or there is a mandatory -.3...there is no subjectivity to it. It's the same way that a Level 8 must have a "leap/jump" series on beam, or there is a -.2 deduction.

"Up to competitive level" is separate. Sadly, many 8's go to Regionals and win floor with one "B" salto...which is ridiculous. That's where this deduction should be used.

Although this is a little off topic, Lannamavity's response interests me because i have always had trouble understanding the not up to competitive level deduction. For example would judges apply this to a level 7 bar routine that doesn't have giants? In a level 8 beam routine that has BWO BHS instead of BHS BHS for the series? Another example, I was told if my dtr in her level 8 routine did a two salto pass with front tuck RO BHS back tuck that might get this deduction versus doing a layout or a full as the last salto in that particular two salto pass.

Although this is a little off topic, Lannamavity's response interests me because i have always had trouble understanding the not up to competitive level deduction. For example would judges apply this to a level 7 bar routine that doesn't have giants? In a level 8 beam routine that has BWO BHS instead of BHS BHS for the series? Another example, I was told if my dtr in her level 8 routine did a two salto pass with front tuck RO BHS back tuck that might get this deduction versus doing a layout or a full as the last salto in that particular two salto pass.

There cannot be an "up to the level" deduction for Level 7, because there are no "compositional deductions" in Level 7. If a gymnast has the special requirements, then a judge can't make up a "no giant" requirement.

The problem lies with the fact that a deduction-free clear hip is very hard for a Level 7...and a giant is usually easier and cleaner as a second circle skill. A giant also tends to show more swing than a clear hip, so the "swingful execution of the routine" is more apparant.

Level 8 does have composition considered.

A BHS BHS is not the expectation on beam for Level 8, so a series comprised of a BWO BHS would not necessarily get a deduction for not being "up to the level".

A Level 8 floor routine comprised of four B's...three of which are dance B's (especially not connected), and a whole bunch of A saltos is pretty much "not up to the level" when it comes to Level 8...and the execution has to be close to perfect for a gymnast to get away with it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back