Should I let my age bother me this much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
I'm 14 and a level 1. The oldest girls in level one are 12 and there are a few of them plus a few 10-11 year olds. I feel so old. Girls a grade above me are level 8s. I started late again thought I did start when I was five originally. I've gone through the rec to pre-team to team as fast as possible which is good which means I'm advancing fast. But I'll be probably the oldest girl competing. Also many girls my age are in beginner rec classes so that makes me feel better. But level 1 is the old level 2. And it comes after Pre-Team. Its harder than JO levels.

We have lots of kids your age competing level 1 in Australia. Don't think of it as based on age how can it be? You can't start gymnastics at 14 and be automatically level 8. Your level is based more on how long you have been doing the sport.

I definitely understand what you mean. Girls my age are level eights/tens on my team & then theres me..I try not to let it bother me so much because theres really nothing i can do about it! I just try to remind myself those girls have been doing it since they were five while i started in eight grade...of course they will be ahead of me. It's hard but try not to focus on your age & just enjoy the sport.

It's crazy! I'm a level 5 (technically 6, but I am only doing that because it's optionals and I am in high school, but I have mostly level 5 skills) and most of the people here talk about their 7 year old daughters on level 5 and I'm just like ummm... But don't worry about it! Just have fun and your age doesn't matter, you can't go back in time and start gymnastics earlier, so just love the way it is :)

You think you're old? Once I find a class I'll be starting at 27.

Looks up Johanna Quaas on YouTube and you'll realize that age is only a number. :)

Don't worry about your age! Concentrate on enjoying gymnastics and don't worry about what other people might think :) I'm like you- did gym when I was about 5 but had a few years off and didn't start properly till as was 13. When I first started at age 13 I could barely lift my head off the floor in a bridge and my most advanced tumbling was a cartwheel:p I'm now at uni and still doing gymnastics and feel like I'm at my highest level yet and have just got my front somersault walkout round off tuck back :D I've only been to recreational classes and never got onto a team/squad so you're doing really well to be on team! Train hard and I'm sure you'll do well :)

P.S. I think we all wished we'd started gym properly at like 5 years old- gym's more of a challenge as you get older but who doesn't like a challenge ;)

Thanks to all the replies. I did start when I was 5 but only did it for maybe 4 months. Nevertheless it started the love for gymnastics. I would love to do gymnastics in college. Any possibility of that?

You think you're old? Once I find a class I'll be starting at 27.
Looks up Johanna Quaas on YouTube and you'll realize that age is only a number. :)

I did start when I was 5 but only did it for maybe 4 months. Nevertheless it started the love for gymnastics.

I did some basic rec gym between about 10 and 13 but then quit (a decision which I always regretted later). I always wished I'd had a chance to do more with it when I was young. I never lost the love for gymnastics and I started doing adults class at 43 (beats your 27, Jedi!), I'm now 47. I guess this is really old to be doing gymnastics, but I can't make myself younger, so I figure I need to do as much as I can now, while I am still able to.

At 14 you are still young and should have plenty of energy and be able to get strong and flexible fairly easily. Being a little older than the little girls, you are likely more coordinated and may pick some things up more quickly. If you really love it, that is all that matters. Enjoy the way it feels and the appreciation for what your body is capable of. All gymnasts are awesome, no matter what age or level!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back