What exactly is TOPs Program?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have heard of the TOPs training program from a documentary that I saw about The Parkettes on CNN called The Pursuit of the Perfect 10. What exactly is this program and how does it generally work or access the talent of young gymnasts? Do they use this today everywhere in the world or is this just a US thing?:confused:

Thanks!

in know what tops is

hi im gymnast who wanted to train on the tops program but i did nt know what it was

this tops program is all strength flexabelity and and all of that it is basically the strongest girls in the country

From USAG:

TOPs (Talent Opportunity Program), is a talent search and educational program for female gymnast ages 7-11 and their coaches. During the months of June and July gymnasts age 7-11 are evaluated on physical abilities at the state or regional level. These dates are set by your regional TOP manager in conjunction with your National Elite Program Chair. From there, athletes are invited to participate in the National TOP test that is conducted in the month of October where they will be evaluated on the same physical abilities tests along with some basic gymnastics skills. Athletes are then invited to participate in the National TOP Training camp which takes place in December of each year. A detailed manual and video of the program can be purchased through USA Gymnastics Member Services at 1-800-345-4719.
Questions, please contact Gary Warren, National TOP Manager for USA Gymnastics at 317-829-5627 or e-mail at: gwarren@usa-gymnastics.org

There is more info available at the USAG website.

I went to the USAG website and read up on TOPs. WOW--pretty intense to say the least! Now I know why they call it "TOPs"!!! Does anyone know the percentage of kids in gymnastics that are invited to test for this?? Just curious. I'm thinking it must be a very small percentage.

My 5 year old daughter is in what her gym calls "Tiny TOPs" these girls are already being trained to compete in the TOPs program when they turn 7. I don't know much about it, but it's been great for my dd. She loves it! They do some amazing things! There are some youtube videos in you search youtube for TOPs.

I don't know of too many gyms that do TOPS. None of the 3 gyms in our area participate in the program and one of those gyms has quite a few elite gymnasts and upcoming elites. It all depends on the coaches and their philosophy.

I went to the USAG website and read up on TOPs. WOW--pretty intense to say the least! Now I know why they call it "TOPs"!!! Does anyone know the percentage of kids in gymnastics that are invited to test for this?? Just curious. I'm thinking it must be a very small percentage.

Our gym (Georgia) just started this "Tiny TOPs" program last year.
They have a TOPs program (pretty new also) In each class (TOPs and Tiny TOPs) there are between 8 and 10 kids. Our gym owner was an elite gymnasts and also a gymnast at the University of Georgia, so she's been in gyms her whole life. I know it's better the younger you start in the TOPs. According to my dd's coach who was in the TOPs program and a kid. At our gym you can at anytime be asked to leave the Tiny TOPs program (2 of the lil girls just cry a lot). I had no idea (when they asked my dd) anything about TOPs, I just thought it was a class name! Little did I know! LOL But as long as Abby enjoys it she can continue to do it, but its very intense. my dd is not yet 5 and does 17 leg lifts and just got her press to handstand. The flexibility makes me hurt just watching it, but dd doesn't mind it at all! When you look at the list of previous Nat'l TOPs winner it's the best of the best, so it must work to some extent.

Some gyms swear by it and others swear at it. Its all strength and flexibility until age 9 then they focus more on advanced skills. Many gyms that don't have formal TOPS classes, use the cirriculum for their pre-team and teams.

I think it all goes back to the individual girl regarding TOPs and moving quickly or being the cream of the crop. Our 1st gym did not use do TOPs and trained many elite girls. Current gym does do TOPs and we have some girls who will excel, but I wouldn't say its all because of this program.

To the OP---any girl can test in the TOPs program in her state. I would advise at least 6 mos of doing the program before testing because the requirements are very specific. The big challenge comes from qualifying out of your state.

I did look on the USAG website and even looked at some youtube videos of it--you are right, it is mostly strength and flexibility. I was just inquring about it because my dd is entering gymnastics at kind of a late age--9 years old. She does have the advantage of having competed with All Star cheerleading for the past 3 years, so she is definitley in shape from that and since she was a flyer this past year, she is very flexible--she may score high in the TOPS program for that, but the strength training part--the rope climb, leg lifts and press handstand--NO WAY!!!! LOL. They don't do half as much conditioning in cheerleading then they do in gymnastics! I'm just trying to assess her progress so far and figure out where she fits in with the kids who have been doing gymnastics for a while. I want to get a realistic handle on her skills and where she should be with her progress without getting "too involved" as a parent, you know? I want to keep her challenged so she doesn't get bored like she did with cheer--there was just way too much "standing around" and no real conditioning.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back