Oww

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm going to gymnastics camp this summer, so I'm going to open gym to stay in shape. They want us to have grips, so I got some today and did tap swings to break them in. I slipped off the bar on the back swing and landed on my face. My neck really hurts. :(

How exactly do you fold them to store them?

And I'm scared of them getting bunched up at my fingertips, because I'm exactly between sizes, and I got the bigger ones because I am growing a lot this year. Exactly how are you supposed to keep them in place?

Oi! Owie!!! I don't know anything about grips but I'm sorry you fell.

Rolling the grips should make them softer...I fold my grips by placing the wristband in the grip when it is open then fold the grip into the strap and then velcro it. I am sorry if that isn't helpful...Try icing your neck and rest it. Hope that helps!:D

Rolling the grips should make them softer...I fold my grips by placing the wristband in the grip when it is open then fold the grip into the strap and then velcro it. I am sorry if that isn't helpful...Try icing your neck and rest it. Hope that helps!:D

Oh and to keep the grips in place...try pushing them down your fingers more towards your knuckles until you grow into them. I don't know if that is proper technique but it is worth a try.

Are grips supposed to be kinda bunched up by your finger tips around the dowel? Or smoothed out so the dowel is the only bump?

they shouldn't bunch up, that could mess you up. Mine are smooth and just a little bump from the dowel, I hope your neck feels better

When I first used my grips I slid off on the back swing and under the low bar...it might help to swing with a pit mat (some call them crash mats) under the bar in case you do fall again :)

A lot of girls have trouble getting used to the feel of grips. We have always folded them the way your hand would go around the bar so they keep the proper shape.

I hope your neck feels better soon - if not make sure you get it checked out.

First of all, i know what it feels like to fall like that and trust me it hurts more with glasses but keep stretching and icing your neck and it should feel better soon. As for grips, i dont know if there is a proper way to fold them but i always roll them up before putting them in my bag and with new ones i recommend breaking them in before you use them and to do that, do easy stuff but it will definatley take time to get used to them. I think they should be broken in when they automatically fold to the bar even when your not holding it, or at least when your most comfortable with them!

Hope your neck gets better!

Last edited:
I know that my grips are relativly smooth. You should be able to open your hand up with ease (to make sure that it is the right size, you should be able to open your hand all the way without the grip pulling on your hand or the holes movng down your fingers.) I almost feel like that the way you grips look, whether they are 'bunched' up on the hand or if they are smooth across your hand, are a matter of your preference or how you started using grips. What my coach tells me is that when you grab the bar, the dowel and a small part of the grip should over hang the bar, if you know what I mean. Or if that even makes sense.:D

The dowel should be under your fingers when you grip the bar... that's what it's for. With newer grips they might be kinda short but they stretch out a little over time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back