Worlds Forum

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

On the women's side, it's the era of Simone.

On the men's, it's the era of Kohei.

This is not a typical time in our sport -- these are two of the best gymnasts who have ever lived, and they happen to be competing at the same time.

Exciting, isn't it?
you are absolutely right. On the men's side it is the era of Kohei. I am just not that into MAG. But Kohei is extraordinary clearly. And i had not thought of it that way -- two of the best gymnasts ever are competing at the same time. On the women's side i wonder if Simone is the best gymnast ever. Not just one of the best

Reactions: sce
On vault Hong Un Jong from Korea is the champion. Simone took silver (missing gold by a mere .04) and Mykayla Skinner took bronze. But Simone's execution scores were higher than anyone else's. Had she upgraded her second vault even slightly she would be champion. I suspect they are keeping the upgrades in check for now with an eye on enough longevity to make it to Rio healthy.

you are absolutely right. On the men's side it is the era of Kohei. I am just not that into MAG. But Kohei is extraordinary clearly. And i had not thought of it that way -- two of the best gymnasts ever are competing at the same time. On the women's side i wonder if Simone is the best gymnast ever. Not just one of the best

Dunno about Simone -- I haven't followed her as closely or for as long. But Kohei is without a doubt the best male gymnast ever, and by a large margin.

Reactions: sce
Simone takes the gold on beam. Bai Yawen took silver and Mustie takes bronze.

Yoa innan, Ellie Black and Larissa iordache all had falls on beam. Kyla had a few wobbles and missed connections and with a low D score came in 5th.

Simone takes the gold on beam. Bai Yawen took silver and Mustie takes bronze.

Yoa innan, Ellie Black and Larissa iordache all had falls on beam. Kyla had a few wobbles and missed connections and with a low D score came in 5th.
sorry. that was an error. kyla actually came in 6th

Just watched the EF's.

Loved Biles of course. Iodache is a lovely gymnast, beautiful routines. Wished the Japanese girl had won the bronze on beam. Musty's missing element has long been discussed and it bothers me that you can win when you are missing a required element, that should be a no.

Very sad for Black of Canada, had she not fallen she could have placed in the top 3. But honestly she, and the Canadian team, have been amazing this worlds. Very pleased for them.

Poor Fragapane, I had very high hopes for her. I found her score was very low even taking into account the fall. But maybe I am missing something. I really was hoping for a floor medal for GB, and for her in particular.

Worlds is over, I found ti to be a very enjoyable comp and China did a great job with it. Cannot wait for next year in Glasgow. Will be watching is live with some of my favourite people.

Two acro skills connected. She does a FHS and a FWO, she should have done a front aerial.

Watch her routine and you can see where she goes wrong. It is a 0.5 deduction from the D score, which was taken.

Asuka Teramoto from Japan did a beautiful routine and came 4th. I just think she deserved the bronze. Her coaches submitted an inquiry but it was rejected very quickly.

Is there any uk wag, other than Beth Tweddle, won a medal at worlds?

I can't find anything via Google....

Simone -- worlds 2014: team gold, aa gold, vault silver, beam gold and floor gold

Dominant much?

I think she made 2 new records. First USA woman to win 5 medals in one worlds and first USA woman to win more than 6 gold medals in all worlds competition

I am finally getting around to watching event finals. Already knowing the outcome, I just watched Mykayla Skinner and Mustafina's floor routines. Does anyone else feel like Skinners routine was much better? IDK, I guess I am more impressed by a double-twisting-double-layout than a fancy turn. There are level 10's with stronger tumbling than Mustafina....

I am finally getting around to watching event finals. Already knowing the outcome, I just watched Mykayla Skinner and Mustafina's floor routines. Does anyone else feel like Skinners routine was much better? IDK, I guess I am more impressed by a double-twisting-double-layout than a fancy turn. There are level 10's with stronger tumbling than Mustafina....
If you are going to call out Mustafina for having "level 10 tumbling" I will have to call out Skinner for having a "level 4 turn". It is the world floor exercise title at stake, not the world tumbling title...there should be a balance between tumbling and dance, power and artistry.

If you are going to call out Mustafina for having "level 10 tumbling" I will have to call out Skinner for having a "level 4 turn". It is the world floor exercise title at stake, not the world tumbling title...there should be a balance between tumbling and dance, power and artistry.

But Mustafina fell out of 2 of her 3 turns, right? It's not like they were perfectly executed. My personal preference would be big tumbling with a bit of artistry and dance thrown in. If I wanted dancing I would watch rhythmic gymnastics. Or dance. And I would rather scrub toilets than watch rhythmic gymnastics :)

It is interesting that apparently SO FEW women have both world-class tumbling AND world-class dance.

For anyone who still reads Gymnastike, they just posted a piece comparing the two routines.

But Mustafina fell out of 2 of her 3 turns, right? It's not like they were perfectly executed. My personal preference would be big tumbling with a bit of artistry and dance thrown in. If I wanted dancing I would watch rhythmic gymnastics. Or dance. And I would rather scrub toilets than watch rhythmic gymnastics :)

It is interesting that apparently SO FEW women have both world-class tumbling AND world-class dance.

For anyone who still reads Gymnastike, they just posted a piece comparing the two routines.
I would agree that the tumbling should, on balance, take precedence over the dance. But, seriously, if a USAG level 8 is going to get a fx composition deduction for only having an A value turn, should you really be able to contend for a world championship floor medal with one?

I would agree that the tumbling should, on balance, take precedence over the dance. But, seriously, if a USAG level 8 is going to get a fx composition deduction for only having an A value turn, should you really be able to contend for a world championship floor medal with one?

I'm wonder why Mykayla doesn't have better leaps and turns. Is she really not able to anything more difficult? Does she not have enough energy mid-routine? What do you think?

I know you didn't ask me, but I think that it hasn't been a real focus in her training thus far (in exchange for the big skills), but I have seen quite a bit of improvement even since Nationals. Working with the national team staff prior to World's seems to have helped her clean up some of these issues, but it will take a longer term effort to make the bigger changes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back