Was Simone Biles Overscored at Beam Finals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Did the judges give her a higher score than they should have compared to the others?

• Total voters
Don't think Biles was overscored, but I can see why some prefered Bai's routine and would have liked to see her win. Bai did have a higher execution score but Biles difficulty won it for her. It was the dismounts that made the difference. Biles did a more difficult dismount and stuck it, Bai landed her's with her chest down and took a step. If Bai would have landed her dismount like Biles, the gold would have been hers, and I think rightfully so. If I had to show my kids one beam routine from finals to show them what they should strive to look like, it would be Bai's. (Though for floor it would of course be Biles!)

Bai's routine was gorgeous (her jumps are just stunning), but the current scoring rewards difficulty and Simone was definitely ahead on that front. I'm no expert, but I actually thought the Chinese team seemed a little over scored on floor. Some of their passes were so low that I literally gasped when they landed.

Bai's routine was gorgeous (her jumps are just stunning), but the current scoring rewards difficulty and Simone was definitely ahead on that front. I'm no expert, but I actually thought the Chinese team seemed a little over scored on floor. Some of their passes were so low that I literally gasped when they landed.
The Chinese girls E scores where all in the 7's with even a few 6's throughout qualifying and finals, so they were definately penalized. I think the only Chinese gymnast who scored an 8(a very low 8) was Tan. I think all the Chinese girls would have benefited from scaling back the tumbling difficulty on floor a little and focusing on execution.

I was actually wondering more about aerobic conditioning on floor for the Chinese than the difficulty of the passes. Many looked strong at the beginnings of their routines, only to have gasp-worthy endings and not for good reasons. Really a shame, because some of them had beautiful, flowing floor work on the front end of their routines.

But all elite gymnasts, male and female, should be required to take a twisting clinic from the Japanese men.

Under the current FIG scoring system it went the way it should. THe system maybe the issue.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1413305241.673155.jpg

Looks like they want things to change.

Even if they mess with the system it will not change the outcomes. Biles has huge difficulty and execution. Grandi may want to see other countries besides the US atop of the podium but honestly I do not think that playing with the system will change much.

The USA is just so deep talent wise. A massive population that places youth sport way ahead of many other childhood things. Their training and dev system is excellent and they have numbers.

Do not think Grandi can "fix" that.

He created the current FIG rules to level the playing field, hence the two per country AA rules.

Perhaps he should reduce the number of skills per routine and perhaps encourage the judges to actual take the deductions they can. Crossed legs on twisting, low chest on landing, flexed feet etc etc. If all the deductions were applied the truly artistic girls would do very well. Ross has low difficulty, but she is very, very clean. Like Biles. That is what won her the bronze. Skinner has big skills, but just is not as clean.

Though I really cannot see what Grandi means when he talks about the lack of artistry. Biles sells that routine every single time. There are lots of difficult routines that bore me to tears and make me go EEK.

Maybe he should get rid of the dumb turn out of the corner thing, followed by the "no lunge" thing. He advocated for athleticism, he gets it and then decries it.

Just looking at the beam final, though, Biles didn't have a huge difficulty and execution advantage over Bai. Biles difficulty was only 2 tenths higher. Looking at both routines, I think a legitimate case can be made that Bai's execution should have made up that 2 tenths and she should have won. Not sure that the system should be changed because of it though, as it really was very close between them. And I do think it is the fairest scoring system we have had so far.

Bai lost on her dismount. It also didn't help that she was first, but that's the luck of the draw. Another thing seems to be that everyone seems to relate artistry with "balletic movement". While I like that style of routine just as much as the next person, it is not the only style available. Selling your routine and really "performing" it can manifest itself in many different ways.

Last edited:
Maybe he should get rid of the dumb turn out of the corner thing, followed by the "no lunge" thing. He advocated for athleticism, he gets it and then decries it.

This is part of it on floor. The changes didn't reduce the standing or posing in the corner. Now the women are just dancing/posing facing diagonally or outward.

On floor, it seems that artistry can beat difficulty. Just look at Mustaffina (sp?) ahead of Skinner. Skinner had a ton of difficulty but zero artistry. Mustaffina's dance was beautiful and crazy hard. She actually danced while Skinner looked uncomfortable in everything but the tumbling and her routine was very boring.

I think beam was just weird all around. How do you place third with zero flight connection? Granted, she had some other crazy hard tumbling, but she also had other missed connections. The difference in 1st and 2nd was the D score. Biles had a .2 advantage in D while Bai only had a .13 execution advantage. I think Biles was deserving of her execution score, so it seems like the correct outcome for 1st and 2nd.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back