A Question for the older gymnasts FEMALES :P

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I apologise if any men read this since its quite an embarrassing question;

For the younger ones this isnt really an issue but I wa sjust wondering since im 20 years of age and going to be competing again and cant wear leggings to compete in etc- is there any special type of underwear that you can get that wont show when wearing a leo without leggings if you catch my drift or do most people just have the built in ones in the leotard?

Silly question but I would appreciate some feed back please ^^

Thanks for reading =)

Reguards,

Tak!

I would wear that spandex underwear - used to call them "bundies" when I competed. GK's website isn't working very well for me today, but do a search on "brief" and you'll come up with what they have. You can get ones to match your leo or you can go nude colored. I'd recommend nude unless your leo is black.
GK ELITE Sportswear: Choice of Champions for 25 years

I have some similar undies from Victoria's Secret if you want to go there.

Jockey makes some in varying shapes and styles that have special really thin elastic so as not to show panty lines, they come in a couple different flavors of nude as well as colors, if you're lucky you can grab a load on sale if you hit a department store on the right day. Probably cheaper than special gym specific stuff. You can also grab butt glue for competitions. I don't know if it's the same composition as "socks glue" I've seen floating around out there, but it's intended for use between humans and clothing, so? What color's your competition leotard? If your gym makes you wear white, they're just mean and you should wear leopard print undies just to annoy them. ;-)

Now, try getting sports *bras* not to show! I'm just lucky that I can get away with a lighter duty one even when using the trampoline than the 12 hook contraption that's required for me riding horses! But I've only ever found it in white...everyone else in my class is wearing these little yoga tank tops with the spaghetti straps with matching or nicely contrasting spaghetti strap bra underneath, or even worse, getting away with the yoga top with the built in bra... (I'm of course wearing thick strap reasonably high back and front standard issue workout leo and still worrying that my bright white bra's showing around the armholes, which wouldn't be as much of an issue if there weren't a group of young guys in the gym at the same time, an older guy in my class as well, and the fact that I don't want people to think I ever thought I was good enough to go out of my way to acquire gymnastics-specific clothing, even though their brand of yoga clothes cost twice as much for one piece as a leotard. So I mostly leave my t-shirt on over it even in the heat. Argh.)

Any recommendations on sports bras that come in colors *other* than white, do not cover excessive amounts of your body or restrict breathing, and will keep even a D/DD cup from moving, since we're in the "older women's issues" section?

Our team buys sports bras from GK. They have black and nude.

Does your team have gymnasts with C/D/DD (depending on the brand and stretchiness) cup sizes? Most places catering to gymnasts aren't quite expecting *that*. I'd prefer not to have to go the bra over a bra route if I don't have to, because things shift around a lot that way. I'm not worried about competition grade shifting, I just don't like having to constantly adjust things which would probably cause more embarassment than letting a white bra show under a mostly black leo. I have a body type not particularly suited to the sport. Regular "sports bras" do *not* provide enough anywhere near support for me, currently using a Wonderbra 5126 that's the only thing short of the infamous Enell that'll keep me in place and is actually comfortable, but white seemed to be the only available color. I remember trying on a zillion when I bought that one and jumping up and down in the change room, all the little old ladies in there probably thinking I'd completely lost it!

well I found the link to the bundies http://www.gk-elitesportswear.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+R0967773847F529F64F3BC31+DEV+ENG

This is from the GK track area: http://www.gk-elitesportswear.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+R0568773843E5E9A74E6B031+DEV+ENG

Aha! I just found the gymnast sports bras! http://www.gk-elitesportswear.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+R0A6977384235893E4E2B831+DEV+ENG And yes, girls on my team with that size have used them.

I don't have any experience with this one, but here's from ten-o: c273 nude pull-on bra undercover

I hope this helps!

Unfortunately the GK elite website is poorly designed and you cant link people their items it just takes you to a blank screen =(

Ill have a search and see if i can find them

Thank you very much for all your posts-- and i completely forgot about a bra !!!! =(

Well as you know I compete as an adult aswell and I dont wear any underwear under a leotard. As long as it is a decent quality leotard (ie not able to see through it), it shouldnt be an issue at all. You don't need underwear, it really wont make a difference anyway.

Unfortunately the GK elite website is poorly designed and you cant link people their items it just takes you to a blank screen =(

Ill have a search and see if i can find them

Thank you very much for all your posts-- and i completely forgot about a bra !!!! =(

I did an item search and it provided absolutely no description at all for the sports bras it pulled up, though it did bring up some nice pics of hologram underwear for cheerleaders!

I'm a little chest-challenged, but some of my teammates wear a strapless bra under GK's nude sports bras. (Look through the competitive wear catalog online, and it should be one of the last pages.) I guess you could also try a bra under a leo liner, although I don't know how uncomfortable that would be. I also wear GK's nude underwear; it fits well and keeps my leo from riding up as well. I had black lycra underwear, but the nude fabric one stays in place better.

I'm a little chest-challenged, but some of my teammates wear a strapless bra under GK's nude sports bras. (Look through the competitive wear catalog online, and it should be one of the last pages.) I guess you could also try a bra under a leo liner, although I don't know how uncomfortable that would be. I also wear GK's nude underwear; it fits well and keeps my leo from riding up as well. I had black lycra underwear, but the nude fabric one stays in place better.

I have yet to find a strapless bra that would work in anything aside from normal gravity. But I also don't normally encounter dresses requiring strapless bras that would also be suited for messing with gravity...can you imagine the deductions for *that* sort of wardrobe malfunction? "Aaauuuggghhh!!! The children!!!" ;-)

Yeah, I saw the nude cotton one, that might be good for stick between pieces.

I know this thread is a little on the old side, but I wanted to add that I've found some new sports bras I really like, they're at aerie the american eagle undie & dormwear store, they have different colors and styles even sports bras with spaghetti straps! There aren't many aerie stand alone stores but a lot of american eagle stores have the stuff too, you can check it out on their website at aerie.com under the aerie f.i.t.

Personally I have no qualms about my bra showing, even though the adult class is mostly men. I'm not there to impress anyone and we don't compete so I don't have to worry about competitions. The highschool and college age girls that work out with us let their bras hang out during workouts, too, so that helps me I guess!

~Katy

I know this thread is a little on the old side, but I wanted to add that I've found some new sports bras I really like, they're at aerie the american eagle undie & dormwear store, they have different colors and styles even sports bras with spaghetti straps! There aren't many aerie stand alone stores but a lot of american eagle stores have the stuff too, you can check it out on their website at aerie.com under the aerie f.i.t.

Haven't seen their stuff at the local AE stores (I'm in Canada), but I had a look at their website.

Seriously, would it kill places selling sports bras online, where you *can't try the things on*, to at least have the decency to put a flipping size chart up for them? GK, this means you, too. And they're not the only offenders. When you're selling bras in sizes like S/M/L and not the standard method of bra sizing, how on earth are we supposed to know what's going to hold us up? It's not like underwear where the sizing being a little off isn't the end of the world - we're relying on these things for support here! There's sizing information for all the *other* Aerie bras, just not these ones, even though it's basically just saying what's available in stores vs. the website, if you know your standard bra size, theirs is no different. So where it exists, it's unnecessary, and where you need it, it's not there.

And am I the only one that finds "low impact" and "sports bra" contradictory when used together? If you were doing the former, you wouldn't need the latter!

Someday when I'm not working and am bored I guess I'll have to spend another afternoon irritating department store employees trying on zillions of sports bras and jumping around in their change rooms scaring the little old ladies trying to find one that comes in a color other than white...

I like to have low impact sports bras. Granted my bust isn't large, but when I'm doing certain physical activities I want something that will give some support without being uncomfortable in a large range of movement like normal bras can be. Normal bras are designed to give lift, when exercising I don't need lift I just need them held in place.

On a side note aerie.com does have a size chart but it only goes by one measurement not the usual two that bra sizes are based on. I'm not sure if they've launched the aerie brand in canada. My "medium impact" bra that I have I find to be really supportive, perfect for my gymnastics class.

~Katy

I like to have low impact sports bras. Granted my bust isn't large, but when I'm doing certain physical activities I want something that will give some support without being uncomfortable in a large range of movement like normal bras can be. Normal bras are designed to give lift, when exercising I don't need lift I just need them held in place.

On a side note aerie.com does have a size chart but it only goes by one measurement not the usual two that bra sizes are based on. I'm not sure if they've launched the aerie brand in canada. My "medium impact" bra that I have I find to be really supportive, perfect for my gymnastics class.

What size are you? I'm looking for something that'll handle, well, gymnastics type impact, for around a 34D... (cup size may go up or down one depending on the brand and stretchiness) Not really a typical gymnast's shape here!

I'm a 34B/34C depending on the brand and style, though most often 34B. In the Aerie sports bra I have (the medium impact) I wear a size small, and there's enough stretch so it would likely fit up to a solid 34C. I tried on the high impact one, it has a hook in the back (not a ton, just 2 like a normal bra.) it has a lot of support but also a lot of stretchiness through the cup.

I donno I'd never buy a sports bra without trying it on either so I guess it's not much help. Have you gone to your local sporting good stores and looked there? I know around here Dicks has some pretty supportive bras.

~Katy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back