The dumbest nutrition study

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I saw that earlier and laughed. NO smart human would think of post workout fuel being a big mac and fries. No body needs that crap.

um, from what I see, yes.

I got accused of not feeding my child a healthy diet the other day, by someone who should know better, because when asked what she had for tea she said Fried Chicken and Cake.

Yes she was right. I marinaded the chicken overnight in kefir milk and spices, coated it in spiced flour (including tumeric - look up its health benefits) and fried it in canola oil. I served it with salad and mashed potato.

For pudding we had cake made with flour, butter, eggs and sugar, with lemon curd filling ( eggs, sugar, butter and whole lemons)

everything was made, by me, from scratch (okay, I didn't mill the flour). There were no preservatives, colourings, artificial flavourings. I even grew the chicken and eggs myself.

She does 12 hours of gym a week and never sits still at home, I stand by home made cake as a good way of getting calories in her.

Sorry, rant over, some people need to look to their own houses before criticising mine.

I saw that earlier and laughed. NO smart human would think of post workout fuel being a big mac and fries. No body needs that crap.
A friend posted this on FB. I replied that it seemed to be bad comparison and that both the supplements and the fast food contain a lot of chemicals etc our body doesn't need. Someone told me that I don't understand the needs weight trainers?!? Seriously, what my kid does is probably just as if not more intense.

What the study does do though is poke at the expensive supplements, showing that they are not necessarily all that special in what they provide. A lot of it is just marketing.

um, from what I see, yes.

I got accused of not feeding my child a healthy diet the other day, by someone who should know better, because when asked what she had for tea she said Fried Chicken and Cake.

Yes she was right. I marinaded the chicken overnight in kefir milk and spices, coated it in spiced flour (including tumeric - look up its health benefits) and fried it in canola oil. I served it with salad and mashed potato.

For pudding we had cake made with flour, butter, eggs and sugar, with lemon curd filling ( eggs, sugar, butter and whole lemons)

everything was made, by me, from scratch (okay, I didn't mill the flour). There were no preservatives, colourings, artificial flavourings. I even grew the chicken and eggs myself.

She does 12 hours of gym a week and never sits still at home, I stand by home made cake as a good way of getting calories in her.

Sorry, rant over, some people need to look to their own houses before criticising mine.

You must have kids with high metabolisms though. Two of mine can eat pretty much what they want. The other really cannot. It bites and made me change the way I looked at food.

Good, homemade food is always preferable to any store bought, prepackaged foods.

That chicken sounds like heaven.

Last edited:
Margo, I still contend that I want to eat at your house. Real homemade food is best. Your dd needs more fat and calories than many, and you provide it to her in real whole foods. Wait, you raise your own chickens?!? You really re my hero!

Most people have lost touch with where food comes from and what real nutrition is.

we got them when we moved to a place with a big garden and the smalls were small. We wanted to let them know where food comes from. They look after them and the ducks and we eat any boys that hatch.

@Bog, they do, but all three are still growing so need fuel, hubbie and I on the other hand have to watch what we eat and try and fit in more exercise as our jobs are sedentary, no cake for us :(, except on weekends :)

Reactions: sce
But McDonalds after a meet is our tradition. I told YG about the study - that McDs is just as good as energy bars and stuff and she said good... cuz even if it wasn't, we wouldn't stop.

Now, during the week, she gets fresh eggs, whole wheat pancakes, or old fashioned oatmeal for breakfast (along with a fruit and milk). When she packs lunch, it includes fresh veggies, protein, and fruit. At least 2 nights per week, she gets a really healthy dinner (the nights my sister cooks - chicken breast served different healthy ways, veggies, fruit, dairy, and starch OR turkey breast OR fish).

Of course MY fav meal is lettuce sandwiches with light mayo on light wheat bread ... or goulash ... or lasagna - but the last two take a while to cook, so I usually eat the sandwiches.

Reactions: sce
Mc Donald's fries are my to die for favorite food. Ever. We don't eat there often, but in a pinch I don't feel bad if we stop there. My dh bought a rec tec grill last year, and we cook lots of stuff on it. It's amazing! For easter, we are doing wings and salmon... Yum!!
My kids eat the occasional protein bar, but really, they just want real food.

Fast food is a sometime food, a treat. Never should be sold as nutritious.

Same as Nutella should not be sold as a healthy breakfast food, it's a treat, a sometime sweet snack.

Kids need to learn this stuff early, because even the ones with fast metabolism probably won't be that way forever (I am proof of that, once over 40 that metabolism has gotten slower every year, but my idea of portions are more like meal for a family of 4 o_O) And thin doesn't always equal healthy.

We do try to keep to being able to pronounce the ingredients in our food.

So cake or cookies I make from scratch, better then the box.
80/20 rule 80 percent healthy choices, etc...

Some weeks are better then others. She would still rather Mac and cheese from a box. So I found an organic box where I understand the ingredients. Not perfect but better.:rolleyes:

sounds like my house @Deleted member 18037 , its this portion control thing I have to get my head round, my lot are so active they eat more than me !

I have always done the "help yourself" way of feeding, letting them take what and how much they want ( within reason - sugar is very controlled, despite my love of cake). I am amazed how they self select, eating more of one thing at times. They body, if listened to knows what it needs.

I will often get DS a McDonald's smoothie for recovery after gym. It could be worse and it has some fruit in it and his muscles need sugar post workout. This allows us to make it home to have dinner from the kitchen.

What about long term effects of eating McD's? Ok, today's workout is ok, but what about longer term effects of eating the junk? I think the study doesn't cover this. Nor did the study say who conducted the study.
There is a difference between the occasional junk food choice and routine.

The study's intent was not to look at long term effects.

And it didn't look at what one would think of as traditional/healthy/nutritional food.

It looked at fast food vs things like energy bars, Gatorade, power bars, chewable energy cubes (and organic peanut butter)

Neither option is necessarily the healthiest choice (with the exception of maybe organic peanut butter)

And I think why the OP called it a dumb study.

Not sure where you are going with this. :rolleyes:

What about long term effects of eating McD's? Ok, today's workout is ok, but what about longer term effects of eating the junk? I think the study doesn't cover this. Nor did the study say who conducted the study.

You beat me to it. They clearly stated that the study participants are elite athletes, so that tells me that their bodies are already highly functioning. I'd hypothesize that one poor meal after one work out by an extremely fit person wouldn't much affect them, in the same way my dd can eat darn near anything and feel/look great. They burn up everything that touches their lips very efficiently, including fat/protein/carbs - my guess is their bodies could metabolize salt and chemicals a little better too. But if you have a "regular" person who might not be as healthy already, and then factor in eating like this after every workout, I don't think you'd see the same results.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back