Parents Gym mom / soccer mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomntc2e6

Moderator/Proud Parent
Well, DD has been begging to do soccer for at least a year (she had played in a small indoor rec class when she was 4). We have finally caved in !! We found a rec league that is very laid back in a nearby town. She can still play in the games if she misses a practice and it is not a big deal if she misses a game. So now she will have gymnastics on M,W and Thurs. Soccer on Tue and Saturday.

She is soooo excited. I bought her cleats and shin guards yesterday. yesterday after school she practiced for about 1.5 hours (at home by herself) and she is back at it this morning.

How fun for her! I think it is good to have our kids do other sports too!

DD2 is the soccer player in our house (along with competitive Dance and Softball.. now she is talking volleyball oh boy!)

Soccer games are fun.. ours are pretty laid back.. we have one 1 game, lost 1 and tied 3 times (Zero to Zero)...

Have fun!

That is so great - I agree that is a really good thing for them to be able to experience other things as well. I hope she had fun with it. My dd2 is our soccer player. Our neighborhood actually has a soccer field and I just sent her, her friend and my gymmie there to kick the ball around for a while :p

Thats nice! She probably was so excited. Hope she has fun with soccer and finds some nice friends.

Hope she has a great soccer season! Sounds like you'll be busy taking the soccer/gymnast around. Glad she is able to try another activity. It is so important when they're young to expose them to several physical activites and then as they get older, they'll be able to settle on the one that they really have the passion for.

Seems like soccer will fit into her schedule nicely! Glad you are able to let her do both.

My son is our soccer player. He loves it. He plays fall, winter (indoor) and spring.

my girls do soccer as well
tho we have a very laid back leauge on the summer and fall (summer 8 weels and fall 6 weeks) they only have Soccer 1 afternoon a week on sunday afternoons.

We just started AYSO soccer last week! DD seems to like it, and I hear the stamina and coordination needed for gymnastics translates well to the soccer field. We'll see, as our girl isn't the most graceful child out there HeHe!!

My dd is a level 8 gymnast and also still plays on a very competitive travel soccer team. It only works because dh is the coach. There was never a conflict until last yr. We did work it out, but I told dh that was it. Dd committed to gymnastics first this yr. She will still play in tournaments on Sundays and any games that are played on Sunday. She'll also play on the indoor team in the winter. She also practices with the team on Wed., her night off from the gym, but misses the Mon. practice. But, this yr she will not miss gymnastics for soccer. It was very stressful (dealing with the gym coaches.)

Good luck with the juggling....

I think it's really important to let your compulsory girls do other things. Let's face it, the odds of any kind of longevity in this sport are pretty slim. Most will never see an optional seaon. So, make sure they have exposure to other activities. When gym loses it's appeal (or a girl hits the limits of what her body can do), make darn sure she knows there's a big, wide, wonderful world of activities out there for her.

Anyway, kudos to you. Your dd is going to have a great time.

DD had her first practice last night. She asked how long practice was and I told her on hour (and I was wrong - it was 45 min and we missed the first 15 min - when I signed up they told me practice was 7-8 and it was 6:45-7:30) and she said "that sucks it should be at least 3 hours !!!" :eek: Must be the gymnast in her !!!

She is supposed to practice on Saturday morning too but I don't think that will happen it appears that Hurricane / tropical storm Hannah may nix that one :(

DD had her first practice last night. She asked how long practice was and I told her on hour (and I was wrong - it was 45 min and we missed the first 15 min - when I signed up they told me practice was 7-8 and it was 6:45-7:30) and she said "that sucks it should be at least 3 hours !!!" :eek: Must be the gymnast in her !!!

She is supposed to practice on Saturday morning too but I don't think that will happen it appears that Hurricane / tropical storm Hannah may nix that one :(

ROFL!!! that was too funny. I'm happy that she is so motivated and loves it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back