Parents Rough Meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

DD's first meet was this weekend, & it was a bit of a rough start to her season as a new L6. :(

First, what she felt good about (always celebrate your successes!): :eek:

Connected all her skills in the 1st half of her bar routine (it's been hit & miss in practice).

Stayed on the beam.

Landed all her floor tumbling passes.

Good vaults.

HOWEVER:

The meet was 'Traditional' format-ICK! :eek: i.e.: Almost one hour of timed warm-up on all 4 events, then compete all 4 events, without any sort of warm-up before competing each event. A really dificult way to compete.

The Judges were very tough. Her AA score went down 4 points from her average last year! OUCH! :eek:uch: She ended up in the bottom 3 @ this meet, after usually finishing in the top 3 all last season. Quite a let-down...

It seems like her form has slackened a bit, which is disappointing to me. They are just not as 'strict' about it at this gym as they were at her last gym. She really likes this gym better than her last, but it is definitely not as competitive at the Compulsory levels as her last one, and it's going to take some getting used to, for both of us.

Here's where I remind myself that she is happy, & that's all that matters. But it's a bit tough when you know what your kid is capable of, if someone holds her to it. I guess it's up to her now, how picky she wants to be w/ her own form/technique & routines.

She actually was pretty upset w/ herself after bars & said "I just wasn't focusing for some reason. I was really mad at myself!" But at least she pulled herself together afterwards to finish up the meet on beam, & she managed to stay on for her full-turn, which she has been missing a lot at practice.

I had to vent, thanks! ;)

It sounds like your DD is taking this in stride. Sure it's tough, but now maybe she knows what she needs to do. Even if this gym isn't as tough on form, she knows what to do from her experience at the other gym. She can enforce it for herself.

I noticed a big drop in scores between levels 4 and 5 and again between 5 and 6 (like I've seen level 6s pick up medals on bars with 7s; of course, that was right after the routine changes). Level 7, they seemed to go way up again.

You also don't want make the mistake of thinking how someone performs as a compulsory has much affect on how she'll do as an optional. Lots of times, kids bloom as optionals.

Finally, you pointed out the most important thing yourself. She's happy now. Winning is fun, but it sure isn't worth being miserable over. I know exactly where you're at. I watched my dd2 finish dead last more than once as a level 6. Had to bite my tongue and maybe once even suggested there were a lot cheaper ways to have fun.

Good for her for keeping her chin up and working through the issues. It will get better from here. All our girls will have rough meets this year, it is just the way it is.

I understand that L6 is judged much more severely than at L5, so I can imagine it is a tough transition. I know when my oldest went into our civile league from our scolaire league she had some ugly meets. Now your DD will know what she is up against she can step it up in training, sometimes a bit of internal pressure helps.

As I always remind my girls after meets, if they are hard on themselves, none of the girls at the meet left home planning to be last or anything like it. All girls go to meets wanting a medal and wanting to do their best.

Thanks for sharing, I am sure we'll all be having first meet experiences in the coming months.

The first meet of the year is hard for most, so it doesn't sound too bad at all. My dd just had her first Level 6 meet and was pretty disappointed with her performance on beam. She was also disappointed to get an 8.4 on vault. I think she expected to score in the 9s, but the judging really is harder in L6. The parents who have already been through L6 have warned us to expect 32s and 33s for the first meets. I would just congratulate your dd on getting her first meet under her belt. I'm you'll see her scores raise through the season.

Thanks, everyone for your helpful feedback! I agree that from here, if she so chooses, she knows how to 'step up' her training.

BTW, just to point out, in defense of her previous gym, she was not 'miserable' there. At all. She actually loved it, and hated to leave when we moved. But now that she is here, she feels happier in comparison, does that make sense?

While she has had some excellent training on her form & technique, I just hope she will remember it! And in defense of her current gym, they DO teach proper form & technique here. They are just not as picky about the girls employing it. It's up to the girls if they are going to listen and put into practice what they have learned. They'll still let them compete, even if they are not perfect on everything, which I think is nice. Whereas, at her old gym, if it wasn't up to, let's say, a certain 'score-potential', they would not be allowed to compete it. Hence, her team as a whole would win a lot, as would most of the individuals on the team.

Just different ways of running a gym, that's all.

Also, on a good note, I forgot to mention, she already qualified to States, so that's a success story for her!

Yes, L6 is as hard as eveyone says it is!

Case in point: DD's teammate on bars--did not miss a single element, has pretty nice technique, but did not connect most of her moves (apparently a BIG deal at this level). Well, they gave her a 5.6, or something like that. OUCH!

Yeah - level 6 is a toughie. If it makes you feel better my dd didn't do that great at her first level 6 meet but by the end of the season was doing awesome and getting lots of medals at every meet. What I though looked like a really good bar routine (connected and all) at the beginning of the season got her a high 6 and by states she was getting mid 8's. Tell her to be patient and it will all click. Oh- and I still cover my eyes for the dreaded full turn :rolleyes:

Yeah - level 6 is a toughie. If it makes you feel better my dd didn't do that great at her first level 6 meet but by the end of the season was doing awesome and getting lots of medals at every meet. What I though looked like a really good bar routine (connected and all) at the beginning of the season got her a high 6 and by states she was getting mid 8's. Tell her to be patient and it will all click. Oh- and I still cover my eyes for the dreaded full turn :rolleyes:
That does make me feel better, thanks! And yeah, here we were worried about the BWO, & it's the full turn giving her fits!

Sorry to hear the intro to L6 wasn't as successful as you had hoped for. It is indeed a tough level and alot more is expected from the girls. Now, you and dd have an idea of what scores well and she can keep after working on those things. Good tight form seems to really help scores at L6, so a little concern when you say her new gym doesn't work on form as much as she's used to. The girls can only do so much training on form on their own---you can't watch yourself do a beam routine. She may want to ask a coach to watch her form and make corrections.

My gymmie does not like those traditional format meets either. Yuck!! By the time they get to the 4th rotation it seems like they warmed that event up yesterday. We have found most optional meets use the capitol cup format----much more gymmie and parent friendly!!!!

Sounds like her head is in the right place and best wishes for improvements at each meet.

I've also heard all the stories about L6 being judged much more severely. I'm really nervous about my DD's first L6 meet as well. She's still recovering from her broken CB and will only have 3 weeks to really practice before her first L6 meet - UGH.

Congrats to your DD for already qualifying for state's tho, that's a biggie!!! Now she can just perfect her routines without the pressure of "will I qualify at this meet?" I think for her first L6 meet she did great!

-Lynn

Sorry to hear the intro to L6 wasn't as successful as you had hoped for. It is indeed a tough level and alot more is expected from the girls. Now, you and dd have an idea of what scores well and she can keep after working on those things. Good tight form seems to really help scores at L6, so a little concern when you say her new gym doesn't work on form as much as she's used to. The girls can only do so much training on form on their own---you can't watch yourself do a beam routine. She may want to ask a coach to watch her form and make corrections.

My gymmie does not like those traditional format meets either. Yuck!! By the time they get to the 4th rotation it seems like they warmed that event up yesterday. We have found most optional meets use the capitol cup format----much more gymmie and parent friendly!!!!

Sounds like her head is in the right place and best wishes for improvements at each meet.
We will definitely be watching to see how her form is this season, and will address the issue w/ her coaches if needed. I am hoping that the 'wake up call' at this meet causes her to tighten-up. She knows how to do that.

Everyone at the meet was saying that they rarely see this meet format here, which is good news. Yeah, her worst event was bars, and it had been over an hour since she had even touched this apparatus when she got up there to compete. Plus, she was the first one up...oh well!

Thanks for your comments!

I've also heard all the stories about L6 being judged much more severely. I'm really nervous about my DD's first L6 meet as well. She's still recovering from her broken CB and will only have 3 weeks to really practice before her first L6 meet - UGH.

Congrats to your DD for already qualifying for state's tho, that's a biggie!!! Now she can just perfect her routines without the pressure of "will I qualify at this meet?" I think for her first L6 meet she did great!

-Lynn
Good luck to your DD on her first L6 meet coming up! I'm sure she will do fine!

Thanks for the nice comments. We do appreciate that they can qualify for States at any meet here, that takes a HUGE amount of pressure off. Last year it was a total nightmare at our 'Zone' meet, as it was the ONLY meet that would qualify them for States. Lots of girls in tears, who had been scoring well all season, & just happened to have a bad meet on that day.

Not sad to be missing that one this year! Whew!

Guess I missed the part about her qualifying for states. Certainly a very big hurdle out of the way at the 1st meet. Congrats to dd and now you can plan on that L6 state weekend. Hooray!!!

Yuck on the traditional format. I don't think my DD could do her ROBHS if she had warmed up at the beginning and then had floor so much later. At least not right now.

Hopefully she can keep going up from the first meet now that the first meet jitters are out of the way.

Congrats to her for qualifying to states though! That is awesome!

Guess I missed the part about her qualifying for states. Certainly a very big hurdle out of the way at the 1st meet. Congrats to dd and now you can plan on that L6 state weekend. Hooray!!!
Thanks! L6 States will be only 20 minutes away though! What should we do to make it more fun??

Yuck on the traditional format. I don't think my DD could do her ROBHS if she had warmed up at the beginning and then had floor so much later. At least not right now.

Hopefully she can keep going up from the first meet now that the first meet jitters are out of the way.

Congrats to her for qualifying to states though! That is awesome!
Yes, I really think it can affect their skills & confidence level. I'm glad someone at least came up w/ the Capital Cup format (timed warm-ups before competing each event). We can be grateful for that!

Livingatthegym,

I loved your response! I am so glad I saw it here! Last year as a 1st yr L4 my DD often came in last on her team!! With a couple other 6 yr olds sometimes there was a slight shuffle in scores, but she was always the one of the lowest. Even in states she vaulted to a 4th place medal but still w/ other scores being in the 7's came in dead last of all the 6 yr olds. She loves gymnastics and has the bigest heart for it. Strength wise she is pretty much one of the strongest on the team. If only press handstands were in the L4 floor routine we would rock it, LOL! But all the time I wonder if she is talented enough to stay in this sport. This year we hope that by repeating she has more confidence and does a little better. All we want is to she her improve from last year. But those silly scores are frustrating and I can also remember the chatter behind our backs about why my DD is still in it. If she didn't love it so much we could easlily move on to something else. I can think of so much to do with my money if I didn't have tuition and gym fees.

((HUGS)) sorry the meet didn't go the way you wanted it to go score wise, but it was the first meet of the season and the bugs had to be ironed out! Getting to Level 6 is something to be proud of! Now that you are past the 1st meet, things will only get better. Sounds like she was happy getting some things accomplished and qualifying for states already will be a huge relief & take some pressure off next time.

Livingatthegym,

I loved your response! I am so glad I saw it here! Last year as a 1st yr L4 my DD often came in last on her team!! With a couple other 6 yr olds sometimes there was a slight shuffle in scores, but she was always the one of the lowest. Even in states she vaulted to a 4th place medal but still w/ other scores being in the 7's came in dead last of all the 6 yr olds. She loves gymnastics and has the bigest heart for it. Strength wise she is pretty much one of the strongest on the team. If only press handstands were in the L4 floor routine we would rock it, LOL! But all the time I wonder if she is talented enough to stay in this sport. This year we hope that by repeating she has more confidence and does a little better. All we want is to she her improve from last year. But those silly scores are frustrating and I can also remember the chatter behind our backs about why my DD is still in it. If she didn't love it so much we could easlily move on to something else. I can think of so much to do with my money if I didn't have tuition and gym fees.

Keep at it for as long as she loves it. I remember taking my "dead last" level 6 to her first level 7 meet and thinking, "Here we go again." She started on floor, and I thought, hmm, when did dd2 learn to dance? Not only did she win floor, she had the highest level 7 floor score awarded at the meet. Then she won beam, and AA! I burst out laughing when some folks sitting in front of me said, "Watch that little one in the blue. She's good."

At the state meet, I almost lost it again when I heard someone say, "If you want to know what a vault is supposed to look like, you need to watch that little girl from [our gym]". Dd2 was state vault champion last year.

And she's not unique. We've got a 13 year old level 10 who racked up more medals her level 7 year than she had in all 3 years as a compulsory.

Kids progress at such different rates, and I bet your dd can shine as an optional someday, as long as she stays happy enough to stay in.

Dd2 never stopped loving the sport, but she did stop loving 4 hours of practice after a full day of school. The one day we didn't have practice, we had church, so the kid was busy every night. Something had to give, and it wasn't going to be church or school, so we're done. We did, however, enjoy the ride.

Keep at it for as long as she loves it. I remember taking my "dead last" level 6 to her first level 7 meet and thinking, "Here we go again." She started on floor, and I thought, hmm, when did dd2 learn to dance? Not only did she win floor, she had the highest level 7 floor score awarded at the meet. Then she won beam, and AA! I burst out laughing when some folks sitting in front of me said, "Watch that little one in the blue. She's good."

At the state meet, I almost lost it again when I heard someone say, "If you want to know what a vault is supposed to look like, you need to watch that little girl from [our gym]". Dd2 was state vault champion last year.

And she's not unique. We've got a 13 year old level 10 who racked up more medals her level 7 year than she had in all 3 years as a compulsory.

Kids progress at such different rates, and I bet your dd can shine as an optional someday, as long as she stays happy enough to stay in.

Dd2 never stopped loving the sport, but she did stop loving 4 hours of practice after a full day of school. The one day we didn't have practice, we had church, so the kid was busy every night. Something had to give, and it wasn't going to be church or school, so we're done. We did, however, enjoy the ride.
This is very comforting. It was hard to swallow her 31.4 AA at this meet, after her averaging 35's all last year, and fisnishing-up 2nd AA at States w/ a 36.1.

I am still asking myself, "how does a kid go from a 35 AA average to a 31 AA in 3/4 of a year? Is L6 really THAT tough? Even if this gym is not quite as picky about technique as her last, I can't imagine she's lost that much technique/skills in such a short time.

I will tell her your dd's L7 Story, b/c right now, my DD is already saying she wants to do a 2nd year of L6 next year, "so I can do well". I'm like, uh...no...let's get the heck out of L6, the first chance we get!

I'm hoping she'll change her mind after she does Prep-Op in Winter & gets a chance to enjoy her own routines that optimize her own unique talents....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back