How do you treat a child gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lil_gymnast_lanny

Hi guys
i was watching a gymnastics video of chinese gymnasts training.
And the coaches were kicking the kids.:mad: I thought hey this isnt right! why are they kicking kids who look like they aren't even 8 years old? if you would like to watch the video go to this link YouTube - Little Chinese gymnasts - Trainingor the video section of chalk bucket.
Isn't it illegal to kick children?

Very very sad. And sick. It is illegal in any civilized country to do something like that. But then again this is the country that "allegedly" cheated in the Olympics...so i'm not surprised.

In some way, this is why I just couldn't get all freaked out about the US losing to the Chinese at the Olympics. The bottom line is that gymnastics is tough enough in the US, but if this video shows what needs to happen to win...it's not worth it, and I'd rather be here losing than be involved in a system like that.

Sadly, I'm not surprised, as this was how the Soviets trained as well.

This video made me cry! How sad that they treat such young athletes that way...or any child for that matter. :(

yea
thats why i put in in
Why don't the chinese stop trying to be the best all the time and actually let kids live their lives how they want to!!??

It's very apparent and always has been about China's government feeling towards it's people as a commodity. I would also say it's common in Totalitarian governmental systems. I am not trying to say China's government currently is totalitarian. It might edge there, though as many others around the world.

I wouldn't be surprised if this stems back a lot longer than Mao.

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was sooooo sad!!!!! if i was a gymnast there i would run away for ever!!!!!!! thats illegal right???? how could u do that??? how could u film that?!? how could the parents let them film that?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The video was an excerpt from the movie "the Red Race', Calgary International Film Festival - Calgary, Alberta, Canada, that was shown at the Toronto and Calgary film festivals.

It is horrific to watch. To see a system set in place that is all about winning no matter what the cost should make us sit and reflect on what is, and isn't acceptable in the gym.

I wonder does low level L3 - L6 gymnastics even occur in a country like China, or do only kids with "potential" get to train and compete in gymnastics? It is so far removed from our normal, that it's hard to even understand how this system is allowed to exist. The fact that the IOC knew that these actions are the norm make it even more revolting that the Olympics were held in China. Shawn and Nastia were competing whilst some little 5 year old was being abused for not getting it right.

Nasty.

that was sooooo sad!!!!! if i was a gymnast there i would run away for ever!!!!!!! thats illegal right???? how could u do that??? how could u film that?!? how could the parents let them film that?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Because the parents have no choice. There not allowed to see their kids once their kids enter the system so they're probably not aware. And no it's not considered illegal in China. Sad but true. The children are forced into the system from when they are around three. They have to stay until the system no longer finds them useful. Like some of the Chinese gymnasts whom they claim are 20 will not be at the next Olympics because even though they're are like 16, China will find someone younger and better to cheat with and the others will be gone. China's government controls everything. So really it's not illegal. It's very sad though. :(

Although I don't understand why they would film that.

Keep in mind while we find it horrific - they obviously don't see anything wrong with it. In that mentality the end justifies the means. I would really like to get some of those coaches in a room and see how they like being kicked around :mad:

That video was very painful to watch. I just wanted to reach in and grab a few of those poor babies(gosh thats what many were) and save them. Bodies being forced into positions that are very harmful, coaches with absolutely no empathy and children certainly not having any fun. I've read that they have(Russia did too) high numbers of suicides from athletes(not just gymnastics) that don't make it because it is beaten into them that to fail is to fail your country and family.

One reason they put 13 and 14 yos in the Olympics is many of them are physically at the end of their careers---their bodies can't take anymore punishment, so its get a medal or 2 out of them now while they can still physically compete.

Because the parents have no choice. There not allowed to see their kids once their kids enter the system so they're probably not aware. And no it's not considered illegal in China. Sad but true. The children are forced into the system from when they are around three. They have to stay until the system no longer finds them useful. Like some of the Chinese gymnasts whom they claim are 20 will not be at the next Olympics because even though they're are like 16, China will find someone younger and better to cheat with and the others will be gone. China's government controls everything. So really it's not illegal. It's very sad though. :(

One of the worst things is that once the system no longer finds them useful, they often end up living in poverty and starving to death. "The system" is what they do *instead* of going to school, so when they get kicked out into the streets, they don't even have a chance at getting a job because they know nothing other then gymnastics. Sick sick sick sick sick and sad.

The fact that the IOC knew that these actions are the norm make it even more revolting that the Olympics were held in China. Shawn and Nastia were competing whilst some little 5 year old was being abused for not getting it right.

Nasty.

OMG!!! I didn't even THINK of that! The IOC practically condoned these practices by rewarding China with the 2008 games! And that's what is was, too. A reward. For SICK, inhuman behavior like that! :mad:

The IOC ignores it and says it isn't about the atheltes in the city they chose or what the country has done but it's what they thought would provide the best spot for the Olympics. So I doubt they see it as a reward. But I think everyone one try to overlook it and just say it's sad but oh well. The IOC is trying to be nice to China because they literally have the means to try and take over the world (another World War III, just what we need...) China is much more powerful then we admit. But anyway make to the issue I was talking about. Nobody knows and nobody cares according to China.

I don't like making snap judgements on these things. Sure I wouldn't do anything like that to any of my gymnasts but how do we know that what we are seeing is the "norm"? How do we know it's common? Do we know the exact situation? Do we fully understand the culture? What if this is being filmed in a sensationalist way reminiscent of what was done to Parkettes? Having known many Chinese coaches and having talked to them about what THEY experienced, they never recounted anything like this. Do we really know the WHOLE story?

Just like being Devil's Advocate and not reacting to everything I see emotionally, heh.

I couldn't watch it all. It was sooo sad. I wanted to save them from this sad abuse :( Those poor babies! It made me sick to my stomach to watch those kids getting pushed into backbends and bended till they were crying! Sooo sad! I hope and pray this is not the norm for most Chinese gymnasts! :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back