Off Topic Twilight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AKA, the most amazing, fantastic book on the planet... who's read it? :D

I'm so excited for the movie as well... and I've made half of my teammates and even my MOM read it. We have lengthy Team Edward/Team Jacob conversations at practice. XD

What did you guys think of Breaking Dawn, if you've read it?

-K

First, let me say that I enjoyed the books. But unfortunately, Meyer is a pretty poor writer. She needs to be acquainted with a thesaurus (if she uses the word "chagrin" one more time, I will smack her).

Second, Edward is a creepy, super-controlling prick. Think about it: After abandoning Bella for one book, he comes back. He TELLS Bella where she's going to go to college. TELLS her. And sneaks into her house to watch her sleep.

Jacob is Rapey McRapist.

Third, I think she smoked a LOT of crack before writing Breaking Dawn. That was weeeird.

I like the books as a way to turn off my brain for a few hours.

I also loved the books... and I am a mom too! I read the first one before I let DD read it. I have now finished all of the books and can't wait for the movie (DD has read the first two). I didn't get involved whether or not the actual writing was great or poor. To me, they were just good, easy reads while I was doing cardio at the gym. It will be interesting to see how much they change the storyline to fit into a movie...

-Lynn

Y'all need to read Miss Cleo's reviews. Her Breaking Dawn had tears rolling down my face. (And she & I share an opinion on Wuthering Heights, apparently)

<petty>
I've read some of Midnight Sun (contact me if interested) and MY GOD the woman cannot spell!
</petty>

Last edited:
I enjoyed the book well enough that I have bought the whole series, though I have only read Twilight so far. I did not find it as enthralling as the Harry Potter series (which I still read over and over) but for sci-fi YA, it was okay and I will read the rest of the series and see the movie(s).

Y'all need to read Miss Cleo's reviews. Her Breaking Dawn had tears rolling down my face. (And she & I share an opinion on Wuthering Heights, apparently)

Oh my gosh... I'm in the middle of reading the BD review, and I'm dying... she's hysterical! :D

I had mixed feelings about Breaking Dawn... not a thumbs up, but not a thumbs down either.

And I swear to you all, if they screw up the movie, someone will have to face the wrath of me and the rest of the 3 million angry fans. :p

I really enjoyed the first 3, though the issues talked about above were definitely in my mind. Being an mom and not easily influenced, I wasn't bothered by it, but not sure I would want my teen daughter reading them.

I liked Breaking Dawn, but I wasn't thrilled with it. It wasn't how I expected things and many things were just not to my liking at all, but I am glad the series is finished. I was really looking forward to reading Midnight Sun, but it seems it probably won't come to pass. StephenieMeyer.com | Twilight Series | Midnight Sun I wonder if she really is just done with the whole Twilight series and is using the leaking (why share stuff, she KNOWS people are dying to read MORE) or caused the leaking.

I LOVED The Host. I don't usually like Science Fiction, but this was great. Besides her irritating writing style. LOL. StephenieMeyer.com | The Host

I really enjoyed the first 3, though the issues talked about above were definitely in my mind. Being an mom and not easily influenced, I wasn't bothered by it, but not sure I would want my teen daughter reading them.

I liked Breaking Dawn, but I wasn't thrilled with it. It wasn't how I expected things and many things were just not to my liking at all, but I am glad the series is finished. I was really looking forward to reading Midnight Sun, but it seems it probably won't come to pass. StephenieMeyer.com | Twilight Series | Midnight Sun I wonder if she really is just done with the whole Twilight series and is using the leaking (why share stuff, she KNOWS people are dying to read MORE) or caused the leaking.

I LOVED The Host. I don't usually like Science Fiction, but this was great. Besides her irritating writing style. LOL. StephenieMeyer.com | The Host
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, Steph, put on your big girl panties.

I LOVE the books so far. They are a major distraction from my schoolwork though. I was trying to write my English essay but i could not stop reading! I am over half way done Breaking Dawn now and so far i think it's really good.

Gee... I was just reading the synopsis of "The Host", and it really reminded me of an old series of books that my boys read when they were younger.... aliens, taking over human bodies?? Anyone remember the old "Animorph" series???

-Lynn

Gee... I was just reading the synopsis of "The Host", and it really reminded me of an old series of books that my boys read when they were younger.... aliens, taking over human bodies?? Anyone remember the old "Animorph" series???

-Lynn

My son had the whole series, I think it's in a box downstairs. Maybe I should drag them up for the girls.

"Why did Bella punch you?"
"Because I kissed her."
"Good for you, son."

My dad, a very demure person, would have kicked the kid around. Anyone else's father going to defend his daughter's attacker, or would your daddy have gone dog-hunting? (She told him no, he still forced himself on her. That's ***ual assault, kids.)

Also, Jake falls for Bella but then realizes it's because she is going to give birth to his true love? Um, ew.

Last edited:
DD and I both read the books and really enjoyed them. We even took a trip to Forks this summer. The scenery is gorgeous. It seems the attention has been good for Forks' economy. As for Breaking Dawn, it wasn't my favorite. I found the whole "imprinting" thing with Jacob to be kind of creepy too. I agree the books were an easy read, but let's not forget it is a young adult series, not Camus!
Much as I enjoyed this series, it can't even touch the best vampire love story ever, Buffy and Angel. Joss Whedon and his producers/writers are geniuses.

Sadly, no. I have worked twelve hour night shifts for the past 9 years and have missed a lot of good shows. Firefly is on my wish list of DVD's.

I LUV those books! my bff is reading them to, and we have had some disussions about them and i cant wait to see the movie. my other bf is going to the midnight premiere. LUCKY

i loved the books...my friends and i all picked characters from the book that are like us...I'm Alice btw :) (this hostage stuff sounds fun! haha i love book quotes) I think she is an AMAZING writer and I can't wait for the movies! Some of my friends and I are planning on going to the midnight showing :) i can't wait!!!!

I just went to Hot Topic yesterday - got a poster that's probably 3 feet by 2 feet of Edward and Bella's gloriousness. :D

Thought you guys might appreciate that.

DD2 (age 12) wanted to read it, so I read it first. I enjoyed it.

I have a question about the very first few pages of the book. She (Bella) says how she is in the living room w/ 'the hunter' and is ready to die...but this never really happens in this book. Is this a foretelling of books to come? Sorry, I read it late at nite & am easily confused in my old age....

I hate to say it, but you KNOW they will change quite a bit of it for the movie. The true 'action/adventure' did not occur until the last 1/8 of the book, and well, we all know what sells in Hollywood these days (sadly). I fear they will stick in much more gratuitous violence than is necessary, just to sell it. It was a nice love story though...in a sick, strange sort of twisted way...! :rolleyes:

^Stephanie Meyer explains it on her website... I'll link it. :)

LINK

I'm so obsessed... I got another poster yesterday. Zac Efron has been demoted from the back of my bedroom door and has been replaced by Edward and Bella. XD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back