States?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Alie21

Proud Parent
At states they hand out medals for top 3 on each apparatus.

Saw this in another thread and got to wondering how States will work. We are in NSW and my DD is L3. For us it is not 'til mid November. Seems like anyone who has competed L3 this year can be in it. (Tho entry fee is steep and it is a ticketed event, oh my I have to pay for my other kid to whinge!! :eek:) There must be a huge number if gymnasts coming to this event!

Anyone know how it will work? Do they medal in a session? Or via scores overall at the end of the day? Not that DD would be a contender but one girl she trains with might be :) Do they still get the coloured ribbons based on their score?

Thanks anyone for any info :)

You are right about qualification. There is no minimum qualifying score this year. I was told that this is because the new levels and routines meant they couldn't predict how the scoring would go this year so States are open to anyone who has competed in a qualifying competition. I do not know if you have to compete all four apparatus in the qualifying competition but I would guess so.

I don't know how level three will be run, but in L5 the sessions were arranged by age and medals were given out at the end of each session. I presume total scores were added up at the end of the day too. If nobody else here knows for sure the L4 States are coming up soon and would indicate whetherL3 will go down the medal or ribbon path.

The entry fee is huge. I am friends with a mother who has girls in levels 3, 4 and 5. Three lots of states entry fees, as if gymnastics wasn't expensive enough!

You are right about qualification. There is no minimum qualifying score this year. I was told that this is because the new levels and routines meant they couldn't predict how the scoring would go this year so States are open to anyone who has competed in a qualifying competition. I do not know if you have to compete all four apparatus in the qualifying competition but I would guess so.

I don't know how level three will be run, but in L5 the sessions were arranged by age and medals were given out at the end of each session. I presume total scores were added up at the end of the day too. If nobody else here knows for sure the L4 States are coming up soon and would indicate whetherL3 will go down the medal or ribbon path.

The entry fee is huge. I am friends with a mother who has girls in levels 3, 4 and 5. Three lots of states entry fees, as if gymnastics wasn't expensive enough!

Off topic, but you can sometimes ask for a family discount! One of dd's teammates is a family of 10. Of course they didn't have to pay for the gymnast or the 2 youngest, but that is still 7 entry fees. She asks for a family discount and usually gets it. Never hurts to ask.

Both Level 3 and 4 are being run with the banding system so every child should receive 4 ribbons and an overall medal based on their scores. No places will be handed out. So not so much a 'State Championships' but more a State run Grading. Totally in agreement that at an almost $100 entry fee, another $50+ for spectators plus accomodation for a lot of the country clubs it becomes a very expensive experience to say you have competed in the State Championships with no State Champions.

Good question COz, I was wondering that too. Anyone?

Also sorry for double post...no idea what happened...I'll blame the computer :rolleyes:

It's not just huge entry fees. It's also extra spectator fees, because they've spread out the State Championships across the whole year. I know of families who have had to fork out for spectator fees for the whole family on three different weekends. They're all State Championships, but one weekend's fees do not count for another. For those who have to travel any distance, these split up State Championships must be a killer, both in time travelling, but also any accommodation costs. Previously you'd just go to the State Championships over a week or so and that would be that.

Exactly leotardmakermum! I meant spectator fees when I said entry fees above. I do not mind the competition entry fees as the venue is definitely worth it. It is the stadium entry fees aka spectator fees that are a killer. I wish they didn't charge for siblings who really would prefer not to be there.

Most of the state championships are separate again next year too if the draft 2016 competition calendar is anything to go by.

Are the state championships deliberately in descending order so it kind of makes it impossible for kids to do more than one level a year?
I thought that was part of the point of the new levels, letting talented kids move up quickly.

Coz its to move them slowly earlier in the year as senior state championships has to be early in the year (to qualify for nationals and therefore any major internationals) so there isn't a big gap between 6 and 7 where they only have 5-6 months between states.

But having 4 states before 3 states etc does seem to make it inconvenient enough that I doubt any gyms will actually try to have a child score out of a level.

That was supposed to be one of the things about changing to the new levels wasn't it? Or was the intention only to let people move quickly through levels 1-3?

But you wouldn't have to go to state championships and the whole season to score out.

But how many clubs have any interest in moving girls on quickly ;-)

But you wouldn't have to go to state championships and the whole season to score out.

But how many clubs have any interest in moving girls on quickly ;-)

There is no need to 'score out' anyway. A gymnast can be placed in any level up to 7 without having to pass anything according to national rules (your state may make its own rules). At level 7 you need to attain your badge, but if you don't the only real downside is you probably cant compete at states/nationals.

There is no need to 'score out' anyway. A gymnast can be placed in any level up to 7 without having to pass anything according to national rules (your state may make its own rules). At level 7 you need to attain your badge, but if you don't the only real downside is you probably cant compete at states/nationals.
I think we have to score out. We don't have badges here either.
I think the L4 season was basically finished before L3 started competing here (apart from States).

I think you still have to pass level tests for each level to be able to compete it, but Ozzee is right that you just need to compete at a sanctioned event to pass a level and then you can compete at that level. In my experience, kids who are 'skipping' levels have usually gained an automatic upgrade at states the previous year and then just level test at their first test for the higher level like someone who didn't gain an automatic upgrade.

Aussiemum 75 that's great that your daughter qualified for Level 4. I saw that qualifying score and I think it's pretty high compared to previous years given that there are girls on regional teams with 34's.

I'm also in Qld, but my daughter is a senior. It's a tough turnaround from Level 6 to 7 here when Level 6 have states in late September and then have to be ready to compete Level 7 in March regionals) and early April (states). Lucky under the new rules Level 7 allows girls to compete much the same skills as the new Level 6.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back