WAG Div I NCAA Walk-On Offer Info

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think I have heard of athletes staying 5 years to complete their studies. I would think they could push internships off to that last year if the department wants to accommodate. Just not sure how many schools would be this accommodating and of course, the athlete would be responsible for the costs of that fifth year.

More awesome info...........thanks so much.........I never realized some schools gave spending money to the athletes. If the school gives it say to gymnasts is it all gymnasts on the team get the same amount or do some girls get more than others? Is it renewable each year? Do walk-ons get it? Great suggestion about calling the school to see the success rate of other gymnasts or athletes with the same major.

In the past, all athletes in a particular school on athletic scholarship get the same amount...so the football players get the same as the gymnasts etc. Walk ons do not get it because it is a stipend to make up the total cost of attendance in the scholarship. I believe the Power 5 conferences will be giving it every year ...they originally gave it in 2012 and then schools discontinued it for 2 years and then it got voted back in...so it's back starting this school year.

I think it's also important to remember from the college coaches perspective that they recruited and signed an athlete for a particular purpose. Maybe they wanted an athlete because of their great yurchenko 1.5. Are they going to be happy with the athlete if they show up on campus 20 lbs overweight and unable to do that skill any longer? Of course not. Do they have a right to be upset/frustrated that an athlete didn't maintain their level of fitness? I think so.

Athletes are there to do a job so to speak. It's not club gymnastics where mom writes the tuition check and they are hurting no one but themselves with their level of performance. College coaches have high expectations for athletes they recruited and gave scholarships to. I'm not saying there aren't jerks in college gymnastics because we all know there are, but being a college athlete is a big commitment. Parents and gymnasts should remember that.

Wallflower, I'm not referring to instances where girls show up without skills or fitness ....and you're right, athletes are there to do a job but I can tell you that no one in their right mind would let an employer treat them how some of these athletes are treated, and their "boss" gets away with it. The issue is really that there isn't a system of checks and balances that athletes can really feel comfortable with...sure there are compliance offices but there's always stories on how the " anonymous report" somehow got a name so kids don't feel confident in that system. It will be interesting to see how the case at Northwestern turns out...

I wasn't referring to you in particular bookworm, but a general comment regarding the other side of the coin. The committment is huge and families should understand that. I think it's a shock for many.

Unfortunately maintaining weight that is appropriate for their ability to safely do skills and score well is part of their job/commitment. I'm sure there are many coaches that handle it badly.

Wallflower, I'm not referring to instances where girls show up without skills or fitness ....and you're right, athletes are there to do a job but I can tell you that no one in their right mind would let an employer treat them how some of these athletes are treated, and their "boss" gets away with it. The issue is really that there isn't a system of checks and balances that athletes can really feel comfortable with...sure there are compliance offices but there's always stories on how the " anonymous report" somehow got a name so kids don't feel confident in that system. It will be interesting to see how the case at Northwestern turns out...
What happened at Northwestern?

I believe she is referring to the boy's football team trying to unionize. But I believe that case was thrown out in August.

It was denied by the NLRB for Northwestern only so it leaves the door open for other institutions...there have already been changes prompted by Kain Colter's filing of this case....cost of attendance stipends, guaranteed 4 years...I don't think that'll be the end of it though

It was denied by the NLRB for Northwestern only so it leaves the door open for other institutions...there have already been changes prompted by Kain Colter's filing of this case....cost of attendance stipends, guaranteed 4 years...I don't think that'll be the end of it though
I heard that gymnastics scholarships are suppose to change from 1 year to 4 years shortly. Is that true?

When my dd was visiting schools and we would ask if there were any majors that conflicted with her sport, almost every school answered athletic training, which of course was one of the things that my dd was mainly interested in. Some schools would work with you with the major and others schools would outright say no you can't do that major.

This yr my dd signed her NLI again (sophomore) it included the stipend. I believe there is a max to the stipend for the school and your stipend is based on the percent that your scholarship is.

Coming into college gymnastics last year we (my dd and myself) thought it was going to be all puppies and rainbows because let's be honest that is all you ever hear. Oh it's great, you'll love it, so much better than JO, the team atmosphere is awesome. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Within a couple of weeks dd learned that upperclassmen are not to thrilled that you as a freshman are coming in and possibly taking their spots on the roster. The mental crap last year on my dd's team was so chaotic, it was really hard to handle. The only think I can say is that she dealt with the chaos so well because of her JO experience with her messed up, to be polite, club coaches that she had for so long. It really provided good training for the most ridiculous crazy crap that she dealt with her freshman year. Dealing with teammates was worse than dealing with middle school kids! She is able to look past this all and tell you how much she loves her sport and even loves her teammates.

Sophomore is underway, it can only get better.....

I'm sure everyone's experience is and will be different.

I worked in a D1 athletics department that does not have gymnastics. I can speak to recruiting for the major sports that I was in contact with. In those am athlete cannot officially commit until national signing day which is winter of senior year. Any verbal committment is non binding and athletes do often change their minds. One guy decommitted to Alabama football last year on twitter. Tacky but true.

So basically assuming gymnastics operates under the same rules as football, basketball, etc, then you can't have a binding committment with a school before NSD. Doing so is a violation. Baseball committments can also decommit after the draft in June but only to go to the MLB or to a junior college. An LSU recruit can't sign a national letter of intent with them and then decide to go to Auburn instead but he can sign with the Mets who drafted him or go to JUCO instead.

When my dd was visiting schools and we would ask if there were any majors that conflicted with her sport, almost every school answered athletic training, which of course was one of the things that my dd was mainly interested in. Some schools would work with you with the major and others schools would outright say no you can't do that major.

This yr my dd signed her NLI again (sophomore) it included the stipend. I believe there is a max to the stipend for the school and your stipend is based on the percent that your scholarship is.

Coming into college gymnastics last year we (my dd and myself) thought it was going to be all puppies and rainbows because let's be honest that is all you ever hear. Oh it's great, you'll love it, so much better than JO, the team atmosphere is awesome. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Within a couple of weeks dd learned that upperclassmen are not to thrilled that you as a freshman are coming in and possibly taking their spots on the roster. The mental crap last year on my dd's team was so chaotic, it was really hard to handle. The only think I can say is that she dealt with the chaos so well because of her JO experience with her messed up, to be polite, club coaches that she had for so long. It really provided good training for the most ridiculous crazy crap that she dealt with her freshman year. Dealing with teammates was worse than dealing with middle school kids! She is able to look past this all and tell you how much she loves her sport and even loves her teammates.

Sophomore is underway, it can only get better.....

I'm sure everyone's experience is and will be different.

Geez.....hearing this makes me question whether I want my daughter to go down this road.....

I have a really dumb question...

What's a Walk on and how does that differ from being recruited?

Does it mean a girl isn't recruited to college x but goes there anyway and shows up hoping to practice/be on the team?

I know, clueless...

My daughter is starting down this road, I"m a little stressed (more so now after reading this thread) and wonder if it's a good road to go down.....!!

Does it mean a girl isn't recruited to college x but goes there anyway and shows up hoping to practice/be on the team?

I know, clueless...

My daughter is starting down this road, I"m a little stressed (more so now after reading this thread) and wonder if it's a good road to go down.....!!

Simply put, a walk on gets to be part of the team but does not get her tuition, and other college expenses paid for. They can be recruited and they can also ask to be on the team. There is also no commitment. They do however get some perks that the scholarship athletes get. Sometimes a coach will make a walk on offer because they have given out all their scholarships.

I know, clueless...

The NCAA regulates how many scholarships are allowed per sport(I believe gymnastics is 12). The rest of the athletes on a team would be considered walk ons. Most college gymnastics teams carry a roster of athletes in the 15 to 20 range.

The last couple of posts point out the need for parents to get out there and educate yourselves on this whole process; both NCAA athletics in general and college gymnastics specifically.

Here is a link on the USAG website to get you started: https://usagym.org/pages/home/college/index.html

Another good website is: http://www.collegegymfans.com/index.php

College gymnastics is not completely like other college sports; you will find a timeline on that page for prospective college gymnasts. I will say that this timeline has some things (beginning to interact with colleges) probably about a year late given today's highly-competitive environment.

I will continue to stress that athletic ability is only one part of the college admissions process; an athlete still has to be academically qualified to get admitted to a college.

Good Luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back