Parents I shouldn't bear the brunt of her ire....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
My DD has been working on her round off back tuck dismount and one evening at pick up, I caught the tail end of beam rotation. I noticed that she was now working it as a pike but it was not a great pike. Still, mommy is a cheerleader so I told her in the car that I thought her back pike was coming along nicely.

I'm presented with a huff and an eye roll and informed that it was a layout. Oops! LOL

Lesson learned . Never name a skill until they have told you. It will happen in twisting too. Hey - nice 1.5! ... Mom, I have had my 1.5, that was supposed to be a double. Oops! Open mouth, insert foot!

I just can't bring myself to say flippy thing. I like the names of the skills.....not my fault DD is piking her layouts. ;-)
My main "job" at the gym is to state the obvious...
"Hey, if you were straighter, that would almost be a layout."
"It's not an aerial if you put your hands down."
"You have to get a foot back on the beam to get credit for that."
This is all said with a smile and the girls know that I really do care and it's all in fun. It can help them get out of their heads if they are struggling a little.

Tonight, it was "Ok, just rotate that Wolf Jump another 175º and it will be a Wolf-1/2" :p

Decide what hat you wear.

My Mom hat is different then my mentor hat (keeping in mind I am not qualified to be a gymnastic mentor, so Mom hat it is).

How she responds and how I feel about it, depends on which hat I am wearing.

Regarding being a Mom. Its kind of in our job description to be a brunt of something, you pick.
And no, it doesn't always feel remotely good.

My DD has been working on her round off back tuck dismount and one evening at pick up, I caught the tail end of beam rotation. I noticed that she was now working it as a pike but it was not a great pike. Still, mommy is a cheerleader so I told her in the car that I thought her back pike was coming along nicely.

I'm presented with a huff and an eye roll and informed that it was a layout. Oops! LOL
Haha oops!

Yeah I like to stick with "that beam dismount looked great" or "wow that was cool thing I saw you do on beam tonight" lol (plenty of times I don't know the real names! ha)

Decide what hat you wear.

My Mom hat is different then my mentor hat (keeping in mind I am not qualified to be a gymnastic mentor, so Mom hat it is).

How she responds and how I feel about it, depends on which hat I am wearing.

Regarding being a Mom. Its kind of in our job description to be a brunt of something, you pick.
And no, it doesn't always feel remotely good.

Not really thinking that my anecdote means I don't know what it means to be a mom. My gymmie is my second child so I get how the mom thing works.

Not really thinking that my anecdote means I don't know what it means to be a mom. My gymmie is my second child so I get how the mom thing works.
I'm sure you do. Just reflecting that sometimes its hard not to take it personally. This Mom stuff is a lot like the Marines. The toughest job you'll ever love.............

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back