spotting in gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ok so ive been doing gymnastics since i was 7 and there was no one who ever touched me in the wrong place to spot me. i started going to a new gym and all the teachers are guys. none of the guys there accidentally touch my but or my boob except one guy. anyone who does gymnastics - he spotted me doing a backhandspring into a backflip and he put his hand on my boob in the middle of doing this. there is no reason his hand shouldve been anywhere other than my back. hes also touched my but doing this. and i think im crazy for analyzing it so much. i get this weird vibe from him. i feel so stupid.

Trust your instincts. It's possible it was accidental but what stands out to me in your post is that you are uncomfortable and that says a lot. You should talk to your parent about this.

You should discuss this with your parents or another adult you trust. Whatever the reason - a spotting fluke or a deliberate touch - an adult should monitor the situation and maybe talk to the coach or the head coach. Anything that makes you uncomfortable should be taken seriously and addressed. And you should never feel stupid about situations that make you feel uncomfortable.

im scared to.
i dont want to make a big deal about it.
i was doing a backhandspring,
you put your hand on my back
its kinda hard to accidentaly like
touch my boob. it was like his whole
hand on me. and i usually dont need
help on these.

Gymdog and KBT are right, absolutely talk to your parents. I'm posting to agree just in case you need the advice reinforced by multiple people. Your body is precious, you are never 'stupid' for protecting it or looking out for yourself! Whether it was an accident or not should be explored, and your feelings regarding the incident respected.

the thing i dont want to happen is have my parents talk to one of the coaches.
like what if it was an accident and then i look like im making this up? i dont want to make a scene.

the thing i dont want to happen is have my parents talk to one of the coaches.
like what if it was an accident and then i look like im making this up? i dont want to make a scene.

Well, I'd suggest talking to your parents before you go back to the gym or are in a situation where he's spotting you again. There are ways to look at the situation that are discreet. Your parents will have the best advice for you, whats most important is that you feel safe and secure at the gym.

Well, I'd suggest talking to your parents before you go back to the gym or are in a situation where he's spotting you again. There are ways to look at the situation that are discreet. Your parents will have the best advice for you, whats most important is that you feel safe and secure at the gym.

thanks for your help.
i cant stop thinking about this.
it just CANT be an accident.

Talk to your parents, tell them exactly what happened and even how you are feeling worried in case you are wrong. They would want to know as much as we do, they love you and would want to help you no matter what.

I have a daughter who is 12 and if this happened to her at the gym I would want her to tell me even if she wasn't 100% sure. Usually our instincts are spot on. You should be able to feel totally comfortable with your coach no matter whether they are male or female.

Your body is a very private place and no one should touch you in a way that makes you feel bad or guilty, as adults we are responsible for making sure the kids around us fell safe no tscared.

Tell someone whilst this is fresh and they can help you with your feelings.

bog

thanks for your help.
i cant stop thinking about this.
it just CANT be an accident.

If thats how you feel then don't wait to get your parents into a conversation! Nobody is going to put you in the spotlight publicly at the gym over this. If you have this concern, maybe other girls do too. Or maybe it was a misunderstanding! It deserves to be looked at just to put you at ease whatever the outcome. Your parents are there to help, let them know whats going on and let them take this off your shoulders.

I am a career coach and what you describe makes me sick to my stomach.

Defintetly talk to your parents, school counsellor, minister, someone you trust.

Find out if this has happened to any other gymnasts in your gym.

I hope you can recover from this.

Don

Talk to your parents or someone you trust. If you were my DD I would want to know - even if you thought it might have been an accident.

thanks guys i just gotta work up the courage to say something.

Showing your parents this thread could be a conversation starter if you're nervous about putting your feelings into words right away. It may seem less scary since you already got some of it off your chest here. Just a thought, deciding to tell your parents is a brave step forward.

SillySammy--what you can do to try and work up the courage is just start talking to your parents (mom for now if that is more comfortable for you) about how differnet the new gym is. You said that there are all guy coaches and teachers--use that as a conversation piece to start out. Say, "Mom--I like my new gym but it's kind of different and a bit strange that all the teachers are guys/men and I am not used to that." "It's a little hard getting used to the men spotting me..." Then if you mom asks how it is different, then you can go right into the instance where the one guy touched you inappropriately.

It may be scary and uncomfortable for you to talk about but think of it this way--you are paying good money to go to a gym where you should feel safe and comfortable. If you don't say anything, then it is harder for you to feel comfortable at your own gym in front of this person. And what if there are other girls? They are probably just as scared as you.

Be strong and brave. It is your right to feel safe in your own gym.

I have to agree with everyone else on here. You should definitely talk to your parents about the situation. I can see a coach accidentally bumping you every now and then, but what you're describing just sounds strange. I can't see ANY reason for a coach to bump into your chest while spotting a back handspring!! I hope everything works out for you so that you'll be comfortable going to gym.

I have to agree with everyone else on here. You should definitely talk to your parents about the situation. I can see a coach accidentally bumping you every now and then, but what you're describing just sounds strange. I can't see ANY reason for a coach to bump into your chest while spotting a back handspring!! I hope everything works out for you so that you'll be comfortable going to gym.

good news guys! i told my mom but is the conversation was like a minute long. i said mom while i did a backhandspring he touched my chest. and she said its no big deal hes just trying to help you. now i feel dumb cuz ive been worrying about it. and i agree with you its just not possible to bump my chest. hes a professional and knows what hes doing. i tend to worry a lot so maybe my mom thinks that im making something seem bigger than it is. it pisses me off.

if it never happens again I might by the 'accident' thing ( still trying to figure out how that would happen during a BHS though). If it does happen again - not likely.

If you tell your Mom you felt really wierd and uncomfortable after this happened, and she doesn't think it's a big deal, I think you need to go to another trusted adult who can listen to your concerns and help you sort this out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back