Parents She blew it...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

...out of the park! :D

DD's 2nd L6 meet went better. She finished 3rd AA, w/ a score of 36.125. A highlight for her was earning 1st place on Vault w/ a score of 9.55. She feels good about that, as vault was her worst event last year.

Quite a different AA score from her first meet (31.2). She (and I) felt the judges at this meet were being a bit generous w/ the scores, but we both agreed that it was sure nice to get them anyway (I had to explain to her the phrase, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth")!

I think her "true" AA score lies somewhere in between the two, & it will just depend on the meet, the judges etc.

I was kind of scratching my head & chuckling :scratchchin:, b/c while I thought her routines probably had improved a little, her event scores were all about 1 to 1.5 points higher than her last meet. Bizarre sport, this! :boggled:

She got lucky w/ the 3rd place AA, too. She was up against a few girls from some pretty fancy teams, who were looking REALLY good. A little fall here & there on their part, and that door opened right-up for DD to squeeze her little bootie in that line-up. Lucky her!

The girls on her team were all really sweet to each other, and I am very proud of all of them for that. :applause:

Thanks for all the good wishes & support here! :p

WOW, Well good for her and what a self esteem boost! Glad she took that opportunity when the door openned ,thats what this sport is all about. Any win at 6 is an accomplishment ,so enjoy it both of you!!:eek:

Wahoooooooo! A great big congratulations for her best L6 meet to date :D... Her scores are AWESOME!!!!! We had many differences in meet scores last season for all of our teams gymmies - it can be very interesting. Now as to the 1st meet, I have heard that those judges cups can be absolutely brutal on scoring (all for a good purpose though). Best wishes to your very excited happy gymmie (I am sure!!) for an even better rest of the season.

:thumbsup:I am soooo excited for her!!!!!!:thumbsup:

:applause::applause::applause:

WOOO HOOO for your DD !!!!

tell her great job - an yes ' don't look a gift horse in the mouth' for sure.

You wicked chalkbucketeer, I didn't even want to open your thread as I didn't want to share the sadneaa!!!:rolleyes:

I am thrilled for here, even if it was a bit of a gift, it really makes up for last time and all it's devastation, maybe it is just what she needed to put her back on track. Way to go on that vault. She must've had a huge smile on her face when that score came ep. especailly after struggling with it.

Way to go!:D

So happy for your DD!!!!:D Great job! If that's how the judges saw it & how they scored her...that's all that matters. She did great! Gymmies have to learn to accept lower scores so often(especially at level 6)...let her enjoy her wins that she rightfully earned. Don't let her feel like she was somehow "undeserving" of the scores she got. She didn't get lucky that other girls fell...she performed well & earned her place on the podium. She should be VERY proud of her accomplishements. Congratulations to her:applause:

OH so glad this is a happy post and not a sad one!!:DGenerous or not, those are some great scores and you should be very proud!!

Ok - that wasn't very nice tricking us with the post title :cool:

I was so happy to see how well she did - I just knew she had it in her and would do awesome with all those first meet jitters out of the way. Tell her to keep up the good work !!! :D

You wicked chalkbucketeer, I didn't even want to open your thread as I didn't want to share the sadneaa!!!:rolleyes:

I am thrilled for here, even if it was a bit of a gift, it really makes up for last time and all it's devastation, maybe it is just what she needed to put her back on track. Way to go on that vault. She must've had a huge smile on her face when that score came ep. especailly after struggling with it.

Way to go!:D
Thanks! Sorry to be wicked...I couldn't resist...

Ok - that wasn't very nice tricking us with the post title :cool:

I was so happy to see how well she did - I just knew she had it in her and would do awesome with all those first meet jitters out of the way. Tell her to keep up the good work !!! :D
Thank you! As I said to Bog, sorry to be bad! I do have an evil side...

So happy for your DD!!!!:D Great job! If that's how the judges saw it & how they scored her...that's all that matters. She did great! Gymmies have to learn to accept lower scores so often(especially at level 6)...let her enjoy her wins that she rightfully earned. Don't let her feel like she was somehow "undeserving" of the scores she got. She didn't get lucky that other girls fell...she performed well & earned her place on the podium. She should be VERY proud of her accomplishements. Congratulations to her:applause:
Thank you for your post, gymjourney! I hope it didn't sound like I was downplaying her scores too much to her face. She mentioned the judging to me first, I kind of replied w/ "well maybe that's true, but let's just be glad you got them!". And when she said, "I can't believe I beat those girls from gym 'x'!", I was just like--"yeah, awesome!", but thinking to myself, "I saw them fall"...guess I am selling DD a bit short! I'll have to watch that!

I am glad to have read your post though, b/c we tend to play it pretty low-key w/ her, whether she has a great or not-so-great meet. We try to focus on how it was fun, what she felt she improved on, did you like the decorations...?..etc..and kind of down-play the scores...

So, maybe I should 'emote' a bit more and celebrate w/ her....?

lemmee see...maybe I should borrow some of those 'cheer faces' that were mentioned in another post....

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want her to be proud of her accomplishments...she deserves to be:D. I would hate to have her facing her next meet with the wrong attitude. She needs to have an "I can do this...I did it before" attitude. Not an... "I hope someone from team X falls...then maybe I'll have a shot at winning" attitude;). Gymnastics really is alot about the attitude & self-confidence..."if you think it...you can do it". I try not to focus on the scores too much either, they are subjective from judge to judge, meet to meet. But the gymmies tend to care about them, no matter how much we tell them not to. I'd celebrate this meet to the hills!!!! We'd be cracking open a bottle of Sparking Cider & toasting to her getting out there & strutting her stuff!!! We actually do this after every meet, no matter what the outcome(like I stated in another post...I'm always just so proud she even sets foot out on the floor...the rest is just icing on the cake!). The Sparkling Cider toast, has become a tradition DD looks forward too;). We always find something to celebrate, even if it's that Dad got us to the gym & found a parking spot, LOL! Seriously, I'd give her a chance to celebrate her accomplishments & build her self-confidence:D. But then I was voted the "party animal" of my graduating class,LOL! Maybe I just like to party:p. Congrats again to DD, enjoy!!!:D.

Last edited:
I would hate to have her facing her next meet with the wrong attitude. She needs to have an "I can do this...I did it before" attitude. Not an... "I hope someone from team X falls...then maybe I'll have a shot at winning" attitude;). Gymnastics really is alot about the attitude & self-confidence..."if you think it...you can do it".

I agree heartily! This really hit home to us last Fall (before we moved here), when she moved to a new gym & competed a 2nd year of L5. First of all, at her (then) new gym, they actually trained her (as opposed to her prior gym, where the coaches sat around doing nothing), and the new gym really cleaned up her technique & form. She had spent the prior 2 years scoring in the bottom 3 at almost every meet. The change in her began w/ her first meet w/ the new gym. She got a couple of "first places" & her AA went way up. At every meet from there on out, she was in the top 3, and went on to be State Champ in a couple of events. She was like a new kid. It was as if all she needed was the confirmation that she was indeed a good gymnast and she could do great if she 'went for it'.

So yeah, this past meet helped her a lot, and I am beginning to see that sparkle and self-confidence come back. It had kind of ebbed a little over the Summer w/ the move, & also I think she had that fear of the 'dreaded' L6. Now, she seems to believe in herself again. Hope she keeps up the good work!

Thanks again for the insights! ;)

I apologize to everyone! Didn't mean to worry people w/ my title! Oops....:sorry: !

Thanks for loving me anyway, evil tendencies & all...:cheeky:

Whew....your title had me ready to post sympathies but I am sooo glad to be posting WAAHHOOOOO what a score! She did awesome. I am so glad for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back