WAG Mental blocks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastca25

Proud Parent
My daughter is a 10 year old level 7. She had a gym switch this year due to gym being sold. She was doing great until about a month ago. First she stopped vaulting, then stopped doing BWO-BHS series on beam, then she stopped doing front tumbling on floor and now won't do any type of flyaway. It is across all events and so sad to watch. She won't walk about it with anyone and she does not want to quit. Her coach has been amazing with her and spots her for everything and has had her go back to some basics. Any hope for her to overcome this?

Yes. Time patience more time , zero pressure , more time. A few questions,
1. What set it off?
2. How was it hamdled.
3. Did she do privates for her issues
4. Is the new gym more pressure
5. Do you watch any workouts
6. How much do you talk about it
7. Has it changed her mood at home
8. Has she grown a lot or put on weight
9. Was she given time off for the first skill she bailed on or kept pushing through it.

ok, you sound like me. Except DD had a gym switch, then got injured. She is L7-- just turned 11. She wont do front tumbling, stopped doing giants, wont do BHS on beam. However, she is slowly getting some of it back. Have patience-- I have leaned that the more I question her or focus on it, the worse she is. My asking or pushing does not make it better. For my DD, the injuries and blocks means she is not competitive-- she did a meet but got a 33. She is doing another meet this weekend and will likely not do much better. I am hoping by next season when she will compete the level again, the blocks will be gone. Good luck!

1. What set it off? nothing that I can think of.
2. How was it hamdled? I did not even know she was having issues until another mom told me and then she got a 31 at a meet. She used to get 36-37
3. Did she do privates for her issues? She is now.
4. Is the new gym more pressure. YES!!!
5. Do you watch any workouts? once a week for about 45 min.
6. How much do you talk about it? None because I don't ask and she does not say anything.
7. Has it changed her mood at home. not at all
8. Has she grown a lot or put on weight. nope still very small and growing at very slow pace.
9. Was she given time off for the first skill she bailed on or kept pushing through it. kept pushing through it.

and no changes at home at all. Very happy when she is actually at home. at gym 6 days per week.

ok, you sound like me. Except DD had a gym switch, then got injured. She is L7-- just turned 11. She wont do front tumbling, stopped doing giants, wont do BHS on beam. However, she is slowly getting some of it back. Have patience-- I have leaned that the more I question her or focus on it, the worse she is. My asking or pushing does not make it better. For my DD, the injuries and blocks means she is not competitive-- she did a meet but got a 33. She is doing another meet this weekend and will likely not do much better. I am hoping by next season when she will compete the level again, the blocks will be gone. Good luck!

Good to know someone else having similar issues. I feel like the main cause is being in a gym where majority of her team gets 38's. So much pressure to do well. But, I can't move her again. She does not want to leave gym or quit.

1. What set it off? nothing that I can think of.
2. How was it hamdled? I did not even know she was having issues until another mom told me and then she got a 31 at a meet. She used to get 36-37
3. Did she do privates for her issues? She is now.
4. Is the new gym more pressure. YES!!!
5. Do you watch any workouts? once a week for about 45 min.
6. How much do you talk about it? None because I don't ask and she does not say anything.
7. Has it changed her mood at home. not at all
8. Has she grown a lot or put on weight. nope still very small and growing at very slow pace.
9. Was she given time off for the first skill she bailed on or kept pushing through it. kept pushing through it.

and no changes at home at all. Very happy when she is actually at home. at gym 6 days per week.
Okay, STOP all privates immediately. They are only putting an exclamation point on the problem (in other words, making the fact that she as baulking issues even more ingrained, forget about the trick, you are dealing with the mind at this point). Typically when fear spreads it's a sign of anxiety at that point. Doesn't really matter how or why it started so long as all pressure is being removed, (which it was not). The added pressure to push through the baulking, just made it worse and triggered doubt in the childs mind along with built up anxiety, hence the domino effect from event to event. The bottom line is, she needs a break from every single skill she has a baulk on. S T O P (3 to 4 weeks). If the coaches are unwilling to do this then I don't see any purpose to proceed with the next step. So check back when this is done.

Okay, STOP all privates immediately. They are only putting an exclamation point on the problem (in other words, making the fact that she as baulking issues even more ingrained, forget about the trick, you are dealing with the mind at this point). Typically when fear spreads it's a sign of anxiety at that point. Doesn't really matter how or why it started so long as all pressure is being removed, (which it was not). The added pressure to push through the baulking, just made it worse and triggered doubt in the childs mind along with built up anxiety, hence the domino effect from event to event. The bottom line is, she needs a break from every single skill she has a baulk on. S T O P (3 to 4 weeks). If the coaches are unwilling to do this then I don't see any purpose to proceed with the next step. So check back when this is done.

I definitely will stop the privates. I was told they would help but that is an easy one to stop.

I will talk to coach about stopping skills she baulks on.

Any thoughts on this? http://gymnasticszone.com/products/overcome-gymnastics-fear/

So I found out they are not having her do any skills she baulks at and privates were to work on skills she has no fear with (giants, layouts). I think her coach feels horrible this has happened to her. I think I am going to have to just sit back and be patient. I am going to get her to focus on all non-gymnastics things when she is at home. Maybe, have her spend more time with some school friends. Just let the gymnastics be in the gym and not outside. My heart breaks for her.

My daughter has a teammate who been with a block for 6 months....finally got her skills back a few weeks ago, had some mean girl drama at school this week which really upset her, and boom she is blocking on everything again last night! As you can see, the stress definately does not have to be related to gym or home. Tween girls can really suck

So I found out they are not having her do any skills she baulks at and privates were to work on skills she has no fear with (giants, layouts). I think her coach feels horrible this has happened to her. I think I am going to have to just sit back and be patient. I am going to get her to focus on all non-gymnastics things when she is at home. Maybe, have her spend more time with some school friends. Just let the gymnastics be in the gym and not outside. My heart breaks for her.
Excellent they are on the right track . How long?

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back