Parents 3rd Meet Report...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

How's that for a nice, non-threatening title? :D Better than last week? Did I do well?

Seriously, I don't know why I'm even reporting....I swore I would leave you all alone & not bore you w/ our details from every single pickin' meet, but...

...As I am a sucker for feedback, I decided to report on dd's 3rd Level 6 meet. I continue to find this level (and sport) very curious!

So, the AA was 34.950 (2nd place!!!)

Vault: 9.525 (1st place-oh yeah!)
Bars: 7.9 (3rd place)
Beam: 8.9 (1st place!)
Floor: 8.625 (no place!)

The long (and boring) version...(or, how the routines looked to my untrained eye)!

Vault-not as good as last week---but she still took it! I love this, since this has historically been her worst event since becoming a gymnast....

Bars-She connected her WHOLE routine for the first time-YESSSS! Still not casting above horizontal (I mean look at her skinny little arms in our pics, this has GOT to be hard for her!); STILL slapping those feet on the cast, drop-kip, cast (or whatever that dang thing is called).

Beam-A bit worse than last week (some wobbles), but still stayed on! Got to hand it to her for that, the little toughie!

Floor-Probably about the same as last week, just not her best event, but still no big mistakes.

There was a very familiar-sounding CB name when they announced the Judges (and I did not know this person was a Judge also!), but I won't mention any names (or the event) here! But...thank you, you know who you are (if you ever read this post!)!

DD has only two more meets before States. EEEEEK! I just found out from dd today that her HC said he would not send everyone to States (even if they got their qualifying score!)...he wants them to show some good scores first (she said he wants "35's & 36's"). So, hopefully, she can do well over the next couple of meets and get her chance to go!

Thanks for reading my boring play-by-play.....:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope her coach is just joking, with vaults like hers she should go to States even if she bombs on the other apparatus, she is amazing. As you say it is hard to imagine that she struggled with vault, she flies.

Great scores, with some nice improvements. Great news on the bars connections, the casts will come with more strength and that clear hip is a real challenge.

When is States for her?

Loved your title this time, and I am loving sharing her meet reports. Our first meet is so far away it is nice to be living vicariously through you.;)

Seems like she is adjusting well to the new meet style !! I sure hope she gets to go to States. Although I guess I understand the thought of wanting the girls to have higher scores - still, if they qualify - I think they should go (maybe that is why I coach rec ?)

Anyway - glad she is doing well, and I enjoy your updates - am also guilty of the same. DD has a meet this weekend and next - so I may be posting away as well :p

I hope her coach is just joking, with vaults like hers she should go to States even if she bombs on the other apparatus, she is amazing. As you say it is hard to imagine that she struggled with vault, she flies.

Great scores, with some nice improvements. Great news on the bars connections, the casts will come with more strength and that clear hip is a real challenge.

When is States for her?

Loved your title this time, and I am loving sharing her meet reports. Our first meet is so far away it is nice to be living vicariously through you.;)
Thanks for the kind words!

I asked her again this am, she said her coach wants them to get at least a 35 before he'll send them to States. So I guess she's good to go (I hope!) w/ last week's 36. I think he said this b/c some of the other L6's are struggling a bit, and 2 of them in particular he had wanted as 2nd year L5's (but they begged him to let them do L6, so he relented).

Yes, practically every skill in the L6 bar rouitne is tough (to do right!)--clear hip, baby giant, cast above horiz., straight arm kips,...

States is the first weekend in Dec.

You are too kind w/ the living vicariously statement! Can't wait to hear the reports on your dd's. You know you'll have to post about them!

I think she did great! With scores like that she should go to states (especially on vault!) Don't worry about the casts- it will come with tons of practice. Also, congrats for the bar connection! She must've been happy when she got through it.

BTW-Keep working on those titles;):p;)

Seems like she is adjusting well to the new meet style !! I sure hope she gets to go to States. Although I guess I understand the thought of wanting the girls to have higher scores - still, if they qualify - I think they should go (maybe that is why I coach rec ?)

Anyway - glad she is doing well, and I enjoy your updates - am also guilty of the same. DD has a meet this weekend and next - so I may be posting away as well :p
Yes, please keep posting on your dd! I have been looking & waiting to hear about her meets since your last post. I guess she hasn't had any meets since?

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to hear that HC would not send everyone to States just b/c they got their qualifying score. But then again, for L6 here in FL, it's 31 to qual. Back in CA, they had to get a 35 to automatically qualify. Then, they took a percentage of girls below that score until the alloted number of girls were in. Still, at that rate, I think the lowest qual. score last year was like 34.8 or something.

I think she did great! With scores like that she should go to states (especially on vault!) Don't worry about the casts- it will come with tons of practice. Also, congrats for the bar connection! She must've been happy when she got through it.

BTW-Keep working on those titles;):p;)
Thanks for the encouraging words!

About my titles...Do you mean I need to work on making them more exciting?? I got into too much trouble last time....!

It sounds like she is doing great - I can't imagine her not going to states. I would understand maybe holding back a girl who barely qualified at only one meet or something. Your dd is obviously doing really well - tell her to keep up the good work.

Oh - and the level 6 routine is tough - esp. for girls with long legs. My dd had to work really hard on that routine, but somehow I don't think she is going to mind having gorgeous long legs when she's older :D

It sounds like she is doing great - I can't imagine her not going to states. I would understand maybe holding back a girl who barely qualified at only one meet or something. Your dd is obviously doing really well - tell her to keep up the good work.

Oh - and the level 6 routine is tough - esp. for girls with long legs. My dd had to work really hard on that routine, but somehow I don't think she is going to mind having gorgeous long legs when she's older :D
Thank you! I will tell her.

Yeah, that bar routine is hard, and I think you are right, the extra legginess makes it hard to control. However, I am still quite jealous of her long legs. I'm only 5'2", so they certainly didn't come from me!

OMG, only 2 meets before state? Geez, meet season flies by!!!!!

Wowsers on her vault! That is a great score for any Level, but especially for L6! Great job AA.

I too enjoy hearing all of the meet reports... someday I may even get to add some of my own LOL :p

Thanks for the encouraging words!

About my titles...Do you mean I need to work on making them more exciting?? I got into too much trouble last time....!

Ha-ha, no I just meant in general. Although, I did love the last one. :) Made my heart beat out of me!

OMG, only 2 meets before state? Geez, meet season flies by!!!!!

Wowsers on her vault! That is a great score for any Level, but especially for L6! Great job AA.

I too enjoy hearing all of the meet reports... someday I may even get to add some of my own LOL :p
Yep, there are not many meets left, but there is a bit of time left until States (1.5 months) . One more meet in Oct, one in Nov & then States in Dec.

Seems like not very many meets (5, plus States), but then I remind myself that she will still have about 6-7 Prep Opt meets beginning in January! Can't wait for that, I'll get to post her Prep-Opt routine (if all goes well!), which she just got, and is in heaven about!

Thanks for the nice comments on vault!

She's doing fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing the great news. Please keep us posted of your progress.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back