Parents Starting Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Zac

Proud Parent
Hi guys, so I am honestly not sure about whether or not this is the right place to post any questions but I have made it this far so I might as well!

My son is 22 and has always wanted to do gymnastics. Problem is, he has never wanted to do anything about it. All of a sudden however he has become extremely interested, but feels he is too old to pursue this, and therefore decided not to bother.

I am on here just to simply ask if what he says is true, and he is as he says "too old". I personally believe you're never too old to do anything (within reason), but again wondering if he can/should get into gymnastics.

It is important that I note he has fundamental strength and does things I would compare very advanced but not in the gymnastics world. By this I mean:
- Free handstanding pushups
- Muscle ups
- Slow muscle ups
- Levers etc.

He pursues Calisthenics.

Thanks for your time guys

Lots of clubs now offer adult gymnastics classes - which are often attended by ex-gymnasts who want to keep up with skills, but who might not want to compete any more. If nothing else, it's a fun place to start. Tell him to give it a go :)

Not just ex gymnasts. Parkour guys often try doing a spell in the gym to work on their moves and get a bit addicted.

Depends on what you mean by gymnastics. Is he going to the Olympics? Can he "do" gymnastics? Yes.

I think however at 22 he is old enough to be the one pursuing and investigating whether or not he can.

Reactions: sce
I think however at 22 he is old enough to be the one pursuing and investigating whether or not he can.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket Zac, where you get gymnastics information and unsolicited parenting advice!

I second the suggestion of looking for parkour classes. I think they look really interesting and depending on your son's preferences, might be something he really likes.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket Zac, where you get gymnastics information and unsolicited parenting advice!.

You also get the side benefit of personal digs by third parties that have nothing to do with the original posts.

Cbifoja, That fact that the OP is talking about an adult is incredibly relevant. This was posted in the Parent Forum, where you would expect a parenting perspective. Again making the parenting part very relevant. I gave my parenting POV, not only as a parent but in particular as the parent of a 22 yr oils stepson.

Your snarkiness certainly doesn't add to this discussion and the many other discussions where you feel the need to express your disdain for me in particular.
It's incredibly clear you can not stand me. You have expressed this repeatededly. For the sake of the discussions just stop it. As I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to and Cbifoja, as you only quote me to be snarky, immature and express your personal dislike this will be the last interaction I have with you. Really you stop responding to me. I am certainly not going to respond to you.

Zac et all, I apologize for this interruption as it pertains the thread. Unfortunately this has been leaking into many discussions it needs an end point.

I am a direct person when it come to expressing my view of things. The wonderful thing about POVs and advice is you take what works for you and discard the rest.

I would suggest, as others have, parkour classes, adult "ninja warrior" classes, or adult gymnastics. Google local gyms and check out their course offerings.

Sometimes Crossfit gyms also offer these types of classes (parkour/ninja type). May be an alternative place to look, if necessary.

I would definitely avoid the "8+" or "12+" rec gymnastics classes, as I'm pretty sure he'd feel ridiculous, and that's no way to to start pursuing something new. Those tend to cap at age 14ish or so, in my experience.

And honestly, I was going to avoid the parenting advice drama altogether, but as a parent myself, I know that sometimes kids do need a nudge in pursuing any interests... Especially given the current climate out there for 20-somethings. But let him know he's welcome here, too - there are several adult gymnasts lurking about.

And Zak, It seems you are the 22 yr old ("son"/male) based on your profile information. :)

You should of just said so. So I stand by original post. No you are not to old to start gymnastics.

I think he can do gymnastics and have fun. Tumbling and trampoline are more likely to start, or, like suggested, parkour. He can have fun with it, and you never know, he might enjoy coaching one day as he learns.

Never too old to do anything. Of course, age presents its limitations. I was a dancer and had always dreamed of doing gymnastics. Tried it during my first year in college. It was a lot harder than I thought and I realized it was no longer something I wanted to do. Now that I am 55, I have no regrets. If I did not at least try it I would have always wondered. I ran my first marathon at 48 too. Running 26.2 miles was something I NEVER even dreamed of. As far as I was concerned it was impossible. No one can tell you if you can or cannot do it until you try it yourself.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket Zac, where you get gymnastics information and unsolicited parenting advice!

I second the suggestion of looking for parkour classes. I think they look really interesting and depending on your son's preferences, might be something he really likes.

Are you not aware you can block people you seem to have issues with instead of constantly going off topic and starting arguments with them on other people's threads? You have to be logged in online, click on users name and click IGNORE.

You also get the side benefit of personal digs by third parties that have nothing to do with the original posts.

Cbifoja, That fact that the OP is talking about an adult is incredibly relevant. This was posted in the Parent Forum, where you would expect a parenting perspective. Again making the parenting part very relevant. I gave my parenting POV, not only as a parent but in particular as the parent of a 22 yr oils stepson.

Your snarkiness certainly doesn't add to this discussion and the many other discussions where you feel the need to express your disdain for me in particular.
It's incredibly clear you can not stand me. You have expressed this repeatededly. For the sake of the discussions just stop it. As I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to and Cbifoja, as you only quote me to be snarky, immature and express your personal dislike this will be the last interaction I have with you. Really you stop responding to me. I am certainly not going to respond to you.

Zac et all, I apologize for this interruption as it pertains the thread. Unfortunately this has been leaking into many discussions it needs an end point.

I am a direct person when it come to expressing my view of things. The wonderful thing about POVs and advice is you take what works for you and discard the rest.

Block feature works great for these issues. You have to be logged in online (not the mobile app), click on their username, then click IGNORE. I think it's a great feature!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back