Parents Famous gymnasts who didn't have "it?"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipnastic

Proud Parent
I've watched a few videos of Olympians or hopefuls, and it seems like all the coaches describe the kids of having "it.." Just curious if yall have seen stories of extremely successful gymnasts who didn't seem to stand out early on, but hard work and perseverance lead to their success?

Seems like a fun and interesting topic

There's a story about the uk diver tom daley.

Apparently the head coach was called to come and see this talented boy. Who was stood at the back of the 3m board absolutely refusing to jump off.

Coach walked away saying "that boy will never make a diver".

I absolutely love this...

"She was very excited to be the best,” Brestyan said. “The desire to work, it’s what I was looking for. I need this. The talent I can modify. Fears, I can change. But give me that discipline. Because if you don’t have that, I can’t work with you. She gave me that."

Brestyan on Aly Raisman (via olympicbirthdaygirl)

There's a story about the uk diver tom daley.

Apparently the head coach was called to come and see this talented boy. Who was stood at the back of the 3m board absolutely refusing to jump off.

Coach walked away saying "that boy will never make a diver".

Ha! Seriously?! That's amazing!

"She was very excited to be the best,” Brestyan said. “The desire to work, it’s what I was looking for. I need this. The talent I can modify. Fears, I can change. But give me that discipline. Because if you don’t have that, I can’t work with you. She gave me that."

And there it is. And it's one of my favorite coach comments so far.

Agreed...this is a great quote!

I love Aly's coach quote too... but I'm wondering if you can have a talented kid and then train them to be disciplined? I think this is a bit like the Simone idea since she is insanely talented, but "silly" a few years ago. Seems like it took her to focus and gain the drive to be Olympic champion. Kinda harness her amazing talent and put it to hard work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back