Grips are slipping around wrists

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter uses the Pixie Velcro Grips, she is 9 years old and a level 7 this year. She just started using her grips over the summer. I had gotter her the Ten-0 grips but they were too long. She measures a 5.5" so the pixies worked better.

She says they slip around her wrists and she is always turning them to get them straight again. She said when I washed her wrist bands that made it worse. I'm sorry but I have to wash the wrist bands. :rolleyes: Can anyone make any suggestions on what is going on or how to correct this. Or is this a common problem. Should she put tape or pre wrap over her wrist bands then the grips. Any ideas would be great. In the mean time I guess I will order her the buckle pixie's..

My oldest refuses to let me wash her wrist bands, as then they slip. Ugh. In fact I haven't seen them since I bought them.

I do hear the buckle grips slip less, those pixie grips are so cute!

DON'T WASH THE WRISTBANDS AHHHH WHAT ARE YOU THINKING

Now that we got that over with. You can only wash the wrist bands in DIRE situations and never around a meet or other significant times. Because there has to be time to re-chalk and re-gross them. It's better to just clap the worst of the chalk out outside.

But I actually have had similar problems, mine would slip up and I'd always grab the bar kind of with the base of the grip too high (didn't really bother me and I'd eventually readjust as I swung) but it would wear out the stitching on the top of the wrist part of the grips. I had buckle grips.

She might want to try putting some tape around the wrist part on top of the grips. Just wrap it around. Or a thick rubber band (can be hard ti find a good fit, although more cost effective than taping). I know lots of people with velcro that do that.

I agree, dont wash the wrist bands, makes them slippery! I know they get really smelly!

She isnt pulling the velcro tight enough. I always help the little guys get used to pulling tight, and I think all kids should use buckle grips- that way they dont get used to opening & rewrapping the velcro in practice.

I have never had an athlete use pixie grips, so I dont really kow about them. I usually have them use "just right" or hotshot grips.

Hope this helps.

:fryingpan:

How was I supposed to know not to wash the wrist bands. :D

I will give her your suggestions and see what happens tonight at practice. I'll tell her to re-gross the wrist bands.

Before spending more money on buckle grips, measure the circumference of her wrists and call the company. They may be able to help you with sizing or other options. My gymmie has worn velcro Ten-0s since the end of her L6 season(about 18 mos)---I see her really yank on that velcro when she gets ready to work bars. I swear she almost cuts off circulation to her hands, but she has never complained of the grips slipping. I've only washed her wrist bands once(she spilled Gatorade all over them!) and when they get too ucky, we just get her a new pair.

Ten-0 does have grips that come with an insert for the wrist. My gymmie loves this because it does provide a little cushioning---also she doesn't have to tighten the grips as much for a tight fit. I don't think they have them for the pixie grips----my gymimie wears a size 1(this grip is available in a 0 too).

Buckles are better!

Cut off the top of socks to use as wristbands. They slip less (if you find the right sock) when washed.

Buckles are better!

Cut off the top of socks to use as wristbands. They slip less (if you find the right sock) when washed.

Ohhh man you are smart this would never occur to me. and I need some strap bar wrist bands.

Mine do this too it's soo annoying. I think it's cause mine have a neoprene thing in them so you don't have to wear wrist bands but i wear wristbands anwyay as i don't like not wearing them! Next time i'll get buckle ones

DD does the Rubberband thing... but still 'plays' with her grips all the time. I find it incredibly irritating.. One touch on bars.. and to the Chalk Bucket and fix grips.. One Set of Giants.. to the chalk bucket and adjust her grips.. One giant giant flyaway.. and to the chalkbucket and re velcro her grips. One Pirouette and yep, you guessed it.. to the bucket and fixing her grips!!!

I sometimes think if she wouldnt have her bar problems if she spent more time on the actual bars and less time at the chalk bucket!! LOL

I wash my DD's wrist bands and she has never complained about them becoming slippery. However, she also wears buckle grips so she gets them on plenty tight.

I just bought new grips. before i even put them on i know they were too small but none of my coaches would listen to me. So know i have buy new ones because they were slipping on my wrists. i cant even do a kip without fixing them......the reson they are slipping is because when you grab the bar your grip trys to stay with your hand but it cant because that are not long enough. so maybe you should try one size larger...i know it sounds like it will just slip more but it wont because it will be long enough.....if any of this makes since

DD does the Rubberband thing... but still 'plays' with her grips all the time. I find it incredibly irritating.. One touch on bars.. and to the Chalk Bucket and fix grips.. One Set of Giants.. to the chalk bucket and adjust her grips.. One giant giant flyaway.. and to the chalkbucket and re velcro her grips. One Pirouette and yep, you guessed it.. to the bucket and fixing her grips!!!

I sometimes think if she wouldnt have her bar problems if she spent more time on the actual bars and less time at the chalk bucket!! LOL

My DD played with them all the time when they were velcro. they always get loose with the velcro. now that they are buckle ones she puts them on and forgets them. We bought the Ten-o extra long wrist bands which she loves so much better than the cheap ones and the grips don't slip. I do wash the wrist bands once a month and the stench from them is just beyond gross but they only go through the washer with out fabric softener and never in the dryer as they will make them too slipery. Just washing with a straight Arm and Hammer laundry soap no perfumes no dyes type is ok and so far haven't had any complaints on slipping.

I never understood this grip slipping problem. I used to have GS SuperGrips (I no longer do bars) with the neoprene insert that was stitched to the grip. All my other teammates had (have?) reisport grips and they were constantly tightening their grips and having to rotate them due to slipping. Personally, i wouldn't get Reisport for that reason. They also take longer to break in. I know people generally prefer the type of grip they got initially, but I'm telling you, I had the least grip problems out of anybody with my GS SuperGrips. No need to worry about wristbands, no slipping and bonus...they break in SUPER easy. I used to take one day of doing kips, giants and flyaways and the second day I could do whole routines.

I know your post wasn't asking about what type of grip to use, but I just think it's best to circumvent the problem. :)

As far as washing the wristbands.... I ALWAYS washed mine at least once a week and never had a problem with them slippping, but I never used fabric softener.

To not wash them seems gross and unhygenic. There are all kinds of bacteria and fungi that can grow on sweaty wristbands - not to mention they will stink and look bad! Try washing them on a warm or hot cottons wash with a small amount of detergent and no softener. They could be throen in with some old tees or owels to make a fuller load.

As far as washing the wristbands.... I ALWAYS washed mine at least once a week and never had a problem with them slippping, but I never used fabric softener.

To not wash them seems gross and unhygenic. There are all kinds of bacteria and fungi that can grow on sweaty wristbands - not to mention they will stink and look bad! Try washing them on a warm or hot cottons wash with a small amount of detergent and no softener. They could be thrown in with some old tees or towels to make a fuller load.

In my personal experience, I've found that the thickness of the wrist band affects the amount the grip slips. When I used the thin wristbands that many grip companies sell, my (velco) grips slipped a lot. I got thicker wrist bands for about 2 bucks in the tennis section of Sports Authority, and I never had a problem with them slipping again.

i know i already commented but i got my new grips yesterday and they do not slip at all. i ordered one size larger of the velcro (size 3) they are great i love them

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back