Parents Possible Hip Labral Tear? Career Ender?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomK

Proud Parent
I posted this in the WAG thread, but I thought I would post it here, too, if that's ok.

My daughter is a 14 yo, level 9 gymnasts and is having a lot of pain in her hip and groin area. Her hip area was uncomfortable for a month or so and last week she went down into the splits and had a more intense pain. She has not been totally off of her hip, but hasn't been to gym in a week and the the pain has not gotten any better.

Back to the doctor today, more x-rays and he didn't find anything. He has ordered an MRI to look for a tear.

Is a hip labral tear a career ending injury? My daughter is heart-broken, and honestly, so am I.

the MRI will likely need to be ordered with contrast injected into the hip (if they did not order this and a plain MRI is normal, it needs to be repeated with injection of contrast). If labrum is torn, not career ending, but may need surgery and recovery is long (6 months).

Source: I'm a sports ortho surgeon, but I don't specialize in hip arthroscopy (just knee and shoulder). But I see a ton of it.

the MRI will likely need to be ordered with contrast injected into the hip (if they did not order this and a plain MRI is normal, it needs to be repeated with injection of contrast). If labrum is torn, not career ending, but may need surgery and recovery is long (6 months).

Source: I'm a sports ortho surgeon, but I don't specialize in hip arthroscopy (just knee and shoulder). But I see a ton of it.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm glad to hear it's "common".

well, I wouldn't say "common" - I see a disproportionate amount of kids with sports injuries! Good luck!

I didn't necessarily mean common, but not unheard of.

Since you see lots of sports injuries, would you know any pediatric sports Orthopedic surgeons in/around Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri?

No they can return, HOWEVER, I would not let her as a coach or a parent.

Sure, as a coach I really don't like messing with 3 injuries , hips , spines and brain. And gymnastics is such a brutal sport that a severe hip injury repaired with surgery is better left alone. As a person you can only have so many hip surgeries before they replace the hip..... It's just not worth it. Get it fixed and do something else . This is only my opinion

Sure, as a coach I really don't like messing with 3 injuries , hips , spines and brain. And gymnastics is such a brutal sport that a severe hip injury repaired with surgery is better left alone. As a person you can only have so many hip surgeries before they replace the hip..... It's just not worth it. Get it fixed and do something else . This is only my opinion

Thank you for your input. I appreciate hearing from different points of view and yours totally makes sense.

Reactions: sce
I didn't necessarily mean common, but not unheard of.

Since you see lots of sports injuries, would you know any pediatric sports Orthopedic surgeons in/around Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri?

I've only practiced on the east coast. I just don't know of anyone out there personally but the guy in that regions with the best reputation and national recognition is John Clohisy (sp?) at Wash U. Like I said, I do not know him personally.

I hope she improves! And I would not make a call on going back to gym until she is totally healed. I would not just call it quits in advance of full recovery.

i'd be surprised to see 6 months. most are back at about 10 weeks post op and start to do basics. you guys are good at what you do! :)

I did read that the original poster thankfully found that her daughter did NOT have this injury but thought I would post my son's experience for any future readers. I know I was searching for information. My son had months of pain, physical therapy sessions and misdiagnoses till finally getting the labrum dx along with a fractured pelvis. We saw 3 orthos till we found one who could help my son because of his young age of 14. We finally found Shriners in St Louis (I see doddlbug posted about Dr. Closhisy, in addition to being at Wash U he also treats at Shriners St Louis along with Dr Nepple who does this surgery). This surgery is a LONG road. He can't even think about doing regular gymnastics till 4-6 months post op. It is all about slow and steady. He does physical therapy exercises twice a day at home and sees the physical therapist twice a week. My son is now 8 wks post op he just started going to practice 3 times a week (instead of 5 before all of this). He only does upper body and his physical therapy exercises there. He just got down to one crutch for use on snow/ice/wet and longer walking distances and able to sit 90 degrees. He was told limits on hip and range of motion so he can heal and not reinjure anything. I hope my son can make a full recovery, the drs and pt are very hopeful and think he is doing well and right on track.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back