junior. Intermediate,Senior? Can someone explain?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jumeriah

Proud Parent
Can someone explain what this means?

Our Gym has a list of teams up and it's like this.

Level 5 junior
Level 5 inter
Level 5 Senior

Level 6 junior
Level 6 inter
Level 6 Senior

My daughter said it has so,thing to do with ages but I have no clue??????

They are not nessesarily related to competition, it may just be decided by your gym.

Ok cause her coach is sayimg she is a senior and he has no team for her to compete in as she is older then the other girls, yet she just did a comp on Sunday and was classed as a junior.

I'm so confused

The competitions will set their age groups.
Is this about a specific competition? There are only a few team comps in Australia generally but if it is then some have specific age ranges that can compete (e.g.i think there is no mixed age group teams for wag nsw state climbs this year. ) so if it's for a comp with a specific age range and she isn't in it with other similar aged teammates then she couldn't compete.

You used to be able to compete at state clubs in nsw (team comp) as an individual for qualifying scores.

OzZee that's sounding a bit on the track he's talking about.

Last year he created this mixed team so all girls could compete in the wag nsw state as a team. They had a mixed variety of ages (10-13yrs) and he created it as a mixed team so all could compete. The 13yr old quit and now when he splits them into groups she's alone and he says your a level 5 Senior and I have no idea what I'm gong to do with you as you don't have a team.

So she can't compete if she's in this mixed team?

It really depends on the competition itself and the rules they have set.
Team competitions are usual a team of up to 6 with top 3 scores counting (so there can be 3-6 in a team).
Then there used to be set age divisions for gymnastics nsw run competitions (that I can think of the old level 1-3 regional comps, level 1-6? State clubs comp) note state clubs like national clubs is not a state championship but an invitational, therefore added to the state age requirements it's up to the club who they choose for their teams so long as they fit into the age requirements.
Gymnastics nsw state clubs in August (new winter state) there are no age divisions this year but it is still a clubs/team competition rather than individual.

If you are talking about an invitational i.e. Run by a club not gymnastics nsw, and it's a team competition then the way the age groupings are run is set by that club, but could easily be based on the old gym nsw junior/intermediate/senior age groupings. (These used to be set by gym nsw as set ages - still are for rhythmic).
If you have details of the comp you can pm me and I can see what I can find out if you want.

Or is he saying he won't compete her in an individual comp because she is the only one in a session ?
That isn't fair.

I have no clue.. she just competed at her gym, it was called a state qualifying meet. She came 6th overall.he said the top 6 is his team. Yet last night told her he doesn't know what to do with her as she doesn't have a team.

He said to me a bit ago that she's the only level 5 Senior so she would compete on her own and that would cost me a fortune, hence why he competes them as a team no alone.

The up coming comps are:-

WAG Level 5&6 Sydney Metro Qualifying meet at Rooty hill (1st-2nd July)
WAG Level 5&6 state Championships- 5th/6th August at Rooty Hill
WAG Level 5-10 state club championships. 26/27 August- Rooty Hill

He keeps mentioning ages and what age they should be for each level.

She told me she loves competing but if she has to miss it for the year to get upto level 6 skills she's ok with that. But she said she thinks he has her age wrong.

Ok it sounds like your coach is unprepared to take a child alone to a session.
I've actually never heard of that happening. Do they have higher level gymnasts? Because unless it's a massive club then by level 8 you are sure to only have 1-2 girls in a session at the bigger comps.
How many girls are there in the level.
The first two are individual comps (though how can he guarantee the other girls will be in the same age group as who is a junior and who is a senior is only determined after entries close for both of those comps. The girls must be a lot younger for him to be so sure. How old is your dd that he is certain she will be a senior?

As for the top 6 thing being the team - that would only apply to state clubs. And there are no age divisions for state clubs (all mixed teams) so she should have that position on the team.

As for it being too expensive. Do you directly pay for the coach for a competition? Do you have affiliated judges (I'm not sure what the current policy is but it is likely to be if you don't provide a judge for each session you have girls competing you have to pay a $100 fine).
But I've not heard of a club not allowing a girl to compete because they are the only one in a session or directly passing individual costs onto a child (usually you pay an extra say $20 per comp on top of the entry fee and that covers everyone competing - so some comps they might have 10 girls in a session, some only 1, but you pay the same extra - usually you wouldn't even know the amount as it's just a single comp entry figure you are given.
But I'm sure it has been done where individuals are charged their cost but seems an odd and very unfair way of doing things.

One other thought if he is using the terms junior , intermediate, senior then I think he is incorrect as I'm pretty sure for level 5 this year there is only 2 age divisions (not predetermined) and mixed groups for state clubs. The divisions he is mentioning are not current.

And one more thing - are these girls really high scorers? As only the top 160 girls from the qualifier (and country champs) are selected to state so he can't know who qualifies until after the July comp.

It doesn't sound like a club that really know what they're doing. I'd have a look at their results in Level 7 to 10 at the Senior State Championships this weekend. If they're not really featured there, then if your daughter is really into gymnastics, it might be worth looking at a different club. It's difficult to do well in this sport without good coaching and there are definitely coaches who know what they're doing and coaches who have done the course and think they know what they're doing.

The up coming comps are:-

WAG Level 5&6 Sydney Metro Qualifying meet at Rooty hill (1st-2nd July)
WAG Level 5&6 state Championships- 5th/6th August at Rooty Hill
WAG Level 5-10 state club championships. 26/27 August- Rooty Hill

See you there! We are in NSW and my DD is L5 this year too.

FWIW our gym will send one gymnast to a session. If we didn't there would be none competing L6 and above! We have a big L5 team this year, but last year, as far as I'm aware, only 1 or 2 competed each of the higher elvels. We have few girls at the higher levels, and half of those didn't compete due to one reason or another. Cost is same for all - evened out I assume across the years comps.

Hope you find out what the deal is and she can compete.

Got me thinking, so had a look at senior states from a couple of weeks ago.

At level 7 there were 3 teams with only one gymnast in a session and 5 with only 2 (as 3 is required for a team in any comp that has team awards I assume OP's coach would class 2 gymnasts as not a team too).
The majority (14) had 3+

At level 8, 5 had only 1, and 9 only 2. (With only 6 having 3+ so a large majority not making a 'team' )

By level 9 it was 7 with 1, 4 with two , and only 2 with a team.

Just noticed that Gym NSW has it's Technical Handbook back up on the site - All the listed comps at NL5 (see page 18) are either individual or for State Club Championships: NL 5 team competition will be combined teams with no age divisions (Max 2 teams per club).

Looks like your gym is confused, or has heaps of girls - tho it could be me reading it wrong!

http://www.gymnsw.org.au/NSW/NSW/Gymsports/Womens/WAG_Technical_Information.aspx

What I am bummed about is it looks like for States National Level 5 "City athletes must qualify at Metropolitan Qualifier. The top 160 athletes will be selected"

Am I right in thinking the only opportunity is the 1/2 July WAG L5-6 Metro Qualifier if DD wants to be in the run to compete at States? This comp is the weekend after her 3 day school camp - great preparation!! Will be the same deal next year for L6 no doubt :eek: as the weekend choice is the same as last years. Oh well! Coach had planned to enter her in a regional comp to qualify instead.

Alive yep that's what I put above and as far as I can tell the age divisions will be junior and senior same as for the senior comps.

Darn - that's not good for your dd if it's just the one qualifier with poor timing.
Should be two qualifiers like it was for senior state.

Agreed - coach is checking the rules - hope I read them wrong!
Nope, I wasn't wrong - coach checked with a Committee member and it is the one comp only available for qualifying to States this year NL5 & 6. They will take the top 160 athletes from the qualifier.

There is quite a bit of grumbling about it, maybe next year will be different!

Just wondering if the option is there for a gym to employ coaches & have an in house comp to qualify?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back