Coaches, Parents - Anyone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomntc2e6

Moderator/Proud Parent
I have a Tiger Paw question. Now I know there have been several back and forth threads on the subject and lots of opinions for and against.

My DD is currently in a cast for a fracture in a growth plate at her wrist area. I was wondering if once the cast was off if Tiger Paws would be a good idea for some added protection ?

I have not talked to HC yet as this idea occurred to me yesterday and DD will not be back at gym until Monday. There are other girls in the gym with Tiger Paws (but none at DD's level).

My main concern is protecting that wrist from further injury if possible. I don't know if it makes any difference or has any relation but she does have "Freaky Elbow Syndrome"

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine use them, I have read all the research out there and I have decided that it is better for them with protection.

I would talk with her doctor---take a picture of the tiger paws if you have to. He/she might only feel they're needed for a short time after getting the cast off or they may suggest something else as a wrist support for her.

BTW--What are Freaky elbows?

Once dd was allowed to use her wrist again she used a tiger paw when tumbling. The last 2 weeks she stopped using it and says her wrist feels fine. I wanted her to have the extra support for a while though - figured it couldn't hurt.

I'm not a doctor, and I reccomend talking to one for advice on this, but I'll tell you what my inclination would be: I'd use the tiger paws when she returns.

I assume she also has some wrist rehab exercises to do?

Growth plate injuries deserve the extra protection, however do have her Dr or Physical Therapist take a look at how the Tiger Paw will offer the support and make sure it is the correct type of support. It would depend on where the instability is within the wrist as to whether the support is appropriate. The most important thing to remember is the Tiger Paw is to support and prevent, but the best prevention is to strengthen the affected area to support her current ability and use PLUS plan ahead for the fact that she will gain experience and physical growth and the strengthening needs to be maintained for ALWAYS, not just to "get better". Often a reliant use of the Tiger Paw will eventual degrade the strength of the wrist, UNLESS a strength regimine is continuously enforced.

Now, as a coach I can preach that, but it's another thing to have a committed gymnast and parent to stick to it. I currently have gymnasts reliant on supports, regardless what we coaches tell them. It's often far too convenient to take the easy route.

P.S. Growth plates aren't an area you want to mess with for young gymnasts. They can often lead to the "nagger" injuries. So wanting to be protective of the area, in my opinion, is a justified concern.

I'm not a doctor, and I reccomend talking to one for advice on this, but I'll tell you what my inclination would be: I'd use the tiger paws when she returns.

I assume she also has some wrist rehab exercises to do?

She has not even been in her cast for a week yet. So we don't have any physical therapy info yet. I am just trying to get some ideas on what to expect when she returns to full gym and what I may be able to do to prevent a similar injury in the future. I plan to print out something on the Tiger Paws and bring it to her check up in 3 weeks.

I want her to be able to do what she loves, but I need to make sure if she is as safe as possible at the same time.

Since she will be competing Rookie 1 in the spring and not compulsory L4 until 4 I don't think she will need the support for meets ( Unless Rookie 1 does ROBHS). I would likely just have her use it for vault and any tumbling in practice. I don't think it would be needed for BWO - but they may suggest it at first.

I will be talking to Dr - just wanted some opinions, I figure there are many here who have either been there or know of others.

I would talk with her doctor---take a picture of the tiger paws if you have to. He/she might only feel they're needed for a short time after getting the cast off or they may suggest something else as a wrist support for her.

BTW--What are Freaky elbows?

Picture URL

picture of Freaky Elbows - in Noodlebugs album in gallery - in her L3 leo.

Last edited:
I would take it as it comes and see what they say when she is ready to get it off. When I got a cast off my foot I didn't put anything on it, but I didn't go back to full stuff for awhile...just bars, maybe some tumble track. I don't really remember but I know I wasn't tumbling and vaulting because it was still too weak. I do remember finally doing free hips and giants without a cast on one foot and a weight on the other :p

However I will say BWOs are harder on my wrists than BHS or vaulting, but maybe I'm weird. I have ongoing wrist problems that were neither caused nor particularly helped by Tiger Paws (although they did dull the strike pain when I used them, but I use them off and on because they're kind of annoying and absolutely worthless for optional beam).

my dd just got out of a cast for a radial fracture (4 wks) and the ortho thought the tiger paws brace was a perfect option for her. He wants her wearing it 24/7 for 2 wks (done this coming friday) to give the arm extra time to grow more bone and heal. And stil no heavy weightbearing. Then he said to wear it for all total weight bearing activities - handstand, flips, vaults, etc - until she feels strong enough.

The ortho didn't feel she needed any PT as she had good flexibility and strength coming out of the cast. Her coach is having her use thera-putty (like silly putty) for strengthening during practice and we have some at home as well for daily use.

DD consistently wore the tiger paw for 1 week. I have noticed this week that she has had it off much mroe often - says it's annoying. I basically have jsut told her she needs to wear it if she is out and about or fooling around, incase she falls.

HTH

Alison

my dd just got out of a cast for a radial fracture (4 wks) and the ortho thought the tiger paws brace was a perfect option for her. He wants her wearing it 24/7 for 2 wks (done this coming friday) to give the arm extra time to grow more bone and heal. And stil no heavy weightbearing. Then he said to wear it for all total weight bearing activities - handstand, flips, vaults, etc - until she feels strong enough.

The ortho didn't feel she needed any PT as she had good flexibility and strength coming out of the cast. Her coach is having her use thera-putty (like silly putty) for strengthening during practice and we have some at home as well for daily use.

DD consistently wore the tiger paw for 1 week. I have noticed this week that she has had it off much mroe often - says it's annoying. I basically have jsut told her she needs to wear it if she is out and about or fooling around, incase she falls.

HTH

Alison

Thanks Alison - I am going to print out some info on the Tiger Paws and take them to her next appt.

Glad you DD is doing well.

I'm not usually a fan of the Tiger Paws, but in this case I think it's perfectly acceptable. The wrist will be weakened from being in a cast so a little extra support seems like a good idea. Just make sure she keeps doing her strength exercises! I would talk to her doctor, though.

I would highly recommend taking lots of time to heal the wrist and then get it really strong and flexible rather than using tiger paws at such young age and low level. I also recommend doing lots of preventative wrist conditioning/rehab after she gets back into using her wrist . I do not feel like tiger paws were intended for this level/age of athlete- even though they have become very trendy.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back