First US meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bug's mom

Proud Parent
We're testing 'international' waters in a few weeks, attending our first US meet. Any suggestions on what to expect, aside from exchange rate sticker shock?

It depends on where you are going. Florida vs Southern California vs Northern California vs New York City vs Las Vegas vs Ohio are all totally different experiences :)

We have done 2 US meets, and the biggest surprises for me were the number of gymnasts, and the really high scores. Here a 9.2-9.4 will most likely get you gold/silver/bronze depending, in the US, these were usually good enough for 14 - 10 place depending. AA scores 36.15 - 36.6 my dd was getting 3rd - 1st place, there looking at 7-10th place. I could not believe the number of 9.7's and up.

Our gym did one last year and we were warned in advance not to expect the kind of placements we were used to here at home. The scoring groups were much bigger whereas at most meets in Ontario they break them up much smaller so everyone gets a medal or ribbon. They were 20+ in a group in the US where they can be 5-10 here.

Our gym did one last year and we were warned in advance not to expect the kind of placements we were used to here at home. The scoring groups were much bigger whereas at most meets in Ontario they break them up much smaller so everyone gets a medal or ribbon. They were 20+ in a group in the US where they can be 5-10 here.

I had no idea they did that, in Quebec groups are very large, usually 25 plus and medals top 3 only.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back