Parents Tough day

• Thread starter flippymonkeysmom
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flippymonkeysmom

We went to the level 6 state meet today to cheer on one of dd's friends. She was ok with it all - although did have one of her weird crying over some irrelevant things later on moments. I think I had a tougher time than her though. When we got home I watched one of her level 6 meets from last year on tape and it just broke my heart. She really was doing so well. I know it was time for her to move on - all kids are different and her body just wasn't holding up well to the demands of the sport. It is really hard wondering what if sometimes though. Ok - I think I am done rambling and whining now :eek:

How great of you two to go and cheer on the friend. I am sure that it was a little surreal and tough to not have her out there competing...probably seemed odd to have her sitting there with you and not out there. Is this the first meet you've watched without her in it? I bet the next one will get a little easier, and the next one after that a little easier. I guess when you give up any big part of your life, it's odd to look back at it and not be part of it. My DD has only been doing gym for a year and a half...and I already feel like I don't know what I would do with all my time if she quit!;)So..for a level 6 gymnast, I am sure those feelings are WAY bigger.

Oh hon, I totally get it, as you know my DD has been on the edge for two years now, the edge is still there.

You are such a strong mother and I am sure that your DD benefits from having that spirit around her. It will take time, but it will get easier. You are also such a great role model for those of us that for sure will go your way,

Thanks for sharing!

I can identify. Mu daughter who is a junior and would have been a 2nd year level 10 quit last week. It had been coming for months but much drama to make the decision. Actually now that it is final I feel better but still can't make myself walk into the gym. Plus she keeps getting mail from colleges which is a stab in the heart. She is trying diving but is awful old for a new sport. She seems just so much happier though....

Flippy - sorry to hear it was a little rough. I think she is at a hard age too, where you don't always know what you want. It is wonderful that she went on to cheer her friend.

I am sure it brought back memories for her and maybe some frustration w/ her injury as well.

Keep a stiff upper - you CB friends are always here ((((HUG))))

Oh, flippy, I would have reacted the same way as you! I'm not sure I could even have gone to watch her friends compete, you are braver woman than I!

You have to remember, it really is a kind of 'loss', for you and for her, and there will be bumps along the way, for sure. We are all supporting you here!

She is happy w/ what she is doing now, and even more importantly, her body is not being pounded so much, so pat yourself on the back for being a good , supportive Mom! Hang in there! :)

I can identify. Mu daughter who is a junior and would have been a 2nd year level 10 quit last week. It had been coming for months but much drama to make the decision. Actually now that it is final I feel better but still can't make myself walk into the gym. Plus she keeps getting mail from colleges which is a stab in the heart. She is trying diving but is awful old for a new sport. She seems just so much happier though....

Wow, now this is hard! I think I'd crawl into bed & not get up for weeks just trying to adjust to this one! I mean, your dd was so far along. And getting the college letters? Eeeek, that is tough!!

But maybe it was meant to be, you know? Who knows, she may have been miserable doing gym in College. And getting accepted on the team, & then quitting, might have been worse, for both of you.

So sorry you are going thru this! ((((HUGS))))!

Oh Flippy! I literally had to wipe tears from my eyes after reading your post. It is so hard to remember that this is Their deal and their decisions, it turns out that ours lives get so absorbed by this sport that we all love (and hate sometimes too). And we mom's get that.

I am sendin you a big cyber hug.....

Personally, I think it shows extraordinary character of both you and DD to attend a friends meet. What great friends she has.

Last edited:
Hugs to both of you and kudos to both of you for going and watching her friend. I really hope your DD finds her love for cheer is what her love for gym was and that you will find a love for it as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back