Parents Another Brand New Girl and Mom!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DandiMae

Proud Parent
Hi all!! I think I'm looking for advice or maybe guidance...My 5 year old daughter (DD) started rec in September of this year for the first time ever. They told me at her first class that she was in the wrong class and at her next class they would do a little test and see if they could put her into another class. At the next class they scheduled her a test for later in the day and they ended up putting her into their advanced class.

The day of her next class I got an email from the pre-team coach and they asked to test her for the pre-team. Long story short, she's now on the pre-team and I'm a little lost. She's had two pre-team classes (practices?) and she's loving it. So she's had 4 total gymnastics classes in her life and she's training 3 hours a week. Anyone have advice about where to catch up (I mean informationally for me, not skill wise for her)? Parents can only watch two practices a month, and I don't want to be detrimental to her. I just don't know a lot about this stuff. I wasn't a gymnast and put her into gymnastics because she's a pretty strong kiddo and loves to tumble around. They said they didn't want to wait for her to go into the next pre-team class that starts in the spring because they thought she would get too bored in their regular classes and going ahead and starting pre-team will challenge her more.

The girls she's now on pre-team with girls who have taken 1 to 2 years of rec classes and have been on this team as a core group since July, so I just feel like she's a little behind. I'm definitely behind as far as knowing what's going on. Ha! I am a pretty go with the flow kind of mom and if she wants to do it, I'm all for it. So I guess if anyone can point me in the right direciton as far as info goes or what I need to know or advice or whatever, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Thanks!!

Welcome glad to have you here. You're in the right place.

I have learned SO much about the sport because of chalkbucket. Feel free to ask questions. You will usually get your answers. You may also get some opinions sprinkled in too

Utilize the search features also. There are a lot of times that you can read up on common topics without ever having to ask a question.

Again, glad to have you here.

Welcome to CB. There's a ton of info here (search old threads) or feel free to ask questions. My dd's started competitive gymnastics (on pre-team) a little over a year ago and CB has been an amazing resource.

The advice you're likely to get from those that have been around longer than I have is to pay the bills, let the coach do the coaching, keep gymnastics in the gym (not at home).

Hello and welcome! Wow! That is a lot really fast and I can see that being pretty overwhelming. Don’t worry we were all there at one point or another. It is really great to have a place where everyone gets it.

Just so you know, it is no commonplace that your dd has moved so quickly. it sounds like they took action and got her to where she needed to be. They obviously see something in her and believe that they have placed her correctly so I would go with that and not stress where she is compared to the other girls. She will fit right in before you know it.

Since you have been thrown very quickly down the team path, I will advise that you think about a couple of things. Not that at this point all of this makes a lot of difference, but when things move quickly they can get pretty crazy pretty fast and I am an advocate of thinking a few steps ahead as to not be caught off guard.

Team is expensive and all consuming with that growing exponentially down the road and not really as far as you might think down that road. Are you up for that? Once these kids have the bug, it is petty tough to turn back.

And the other thing is you were quickly drawn down the team path. Is that something that this gym is good at? Do they have a developed team going all the way up the levels? Not that this matters much at this point but I think many would say if they could go back they would get their kid in a quality program sooner than they did so worth thinking about. I’m not talking about biggest best fanciest gym but quality fundamentals, conditioning and stretching and basics. A good foundation can make all the difference. Again, nothing to worry about but something to keep an eye out for if she starts really enjoying it and moving along quickly.

You have found the right place and ask away. You will find everything from fellow newbies to weathered veterans and everything in between as well as many helpful and knowledgable coaches.

I agree that going back and looking at old threads is a very good way to get started.

Hello and welcome! Wow! That is a lot really fast and I can see that being pretty overwhelming. Don’t worry we were all there at one point or another. It is really great to have a place where everyone gets it.

Just so you know, it is no commonplace that your dd has moved so quickly. it sounds like they took action and got her to where she needed to be. They obviously see something in her and believe that they have placed her correctly so I would go with that and not stress where she is compared to the other girls. She will fit right in before you know it.

Since you have been thrown very quickly down the team path, I will advise that you think about a couple of things. Not that at this point all of this makes a lot of difference, but when things move quickly they can get pretty crazy pretty fast and I am an advocate of thinking a few steps ahead as to not be caught off guard.

Team is expensive and all consuming with that growing exponentially down the road and not really as far as you might think down that road. Are you up for that? Once these kids have the bug, it is petty tough to turn back.

And the other thing is you were quickly drawn down the team path. Is that something that this gym is good at? Do they have a developed team going all the way up the levels? Not that this matters much at this point but I think many would say if they could go back they would get their kid in a quality program sooner than they did so worth thinking about. I’m not talking about biggest best fanciest gym but quality fundamentals, conditioning and stretching and basics. A good foundation can make all the difference. Again, nothing to worry about but something to keep an eye out for if she starts really enjoying it and moving along quickly.

You have found the right place and ask away. You will find everything from fellow newbies to weathered veterans and everything in between as well as many helpful and knowledgable coaches.

I agree that going back and looking at old threads is a very good way to get started.

Very good post. Please read and contemplate every point. Wish I had found this advice sooner.

Great post with a ton of amazing advice! I wish I had found CB sooner than I did... my DD had a similar experience and she moved to pre-team after one class... it was completely overwhelming, so I can relate! It has been a whirlwind ever since... things now are just starting to level out and I actually feel like a veteran momma versus a newbie finally...(And a lot of what I have learned has been here on CB... with still tons more to learn!!) Team is a huge commitment. More so than I could have ever envisioned when I signed her up for what I thought would be 1 month of rec classes. There is a ton of information on this site and a ton of helpful people too.... welcome to gymnastics and CB!!

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate the help! I will definitely go back and look through the forum for info. The coach did sit me down and talk to me about the commitment required, although from what I understand nobody is really prepared for it. Luckily, their first year pre-team girls don't do meets any more and just have one showcase thing at the end of the year, so that takes some of the pressure off... I think. Ha! My daughter is enamored with gymnastics right now, so as long as she's progressing and loving it we're in. (Ask me again in 5 years! LOL)

I did do a little bit of checking and found a mom who is pretty local to me who has a daughter who is very serious about gymnastics who talked to me a little bit. I didn't even know what compulsory vs optional was until a couple days ago. That's how new I am. But even though her daughter never was at the gym we're at she showed me how to look up meet info and did say that our gym does have a very strong compulsory program, so we're good to then, as long as DD would like to keep going.

I am loving the parent forum so far and have already learned a lot about what is normal and what isn't. I can't wait to immerse myself in this stuff.

my dd had her start into gymnastics in a similar manner. i hope your dd has as good an experience as mine did. the girls she joined were also together on lvl 3 non-compete for a full year before she joined in. she saw what they could do and was challenged to get the same skills. she racked up her skills quickly thanks to being with girls who were more advanced with her. they were nice to her as well and very encouraging and celebrated every time she got something new. they were a little older though.

i also did not plan on that happening. and i knew nothing about the gymnastics world. you'll learn. this board is a great (safe) place to come with any questions.

good luck to you both!

my dd had her start into gymnastics in a similar manner. i hope your dd has as good an experience as mine did. the girls she joined were also together on lvl 3 non-compete for a full year before she joined in. she saw what they could do and was challenged to get the same skills. she racked up her skills quickly thanks to being with girls who were more advanced with her. they were nice to her as well and very encouraging and celebrated every time she got something new. they were a little older though.

i also did not plan on that happening. and i knew nothing about the gymnastics world. you'll learn. this board is a great (safe) place to come with any questions.

good luck to you both!
Thank you!!! The hardest part has been her not tumbling around the house these last couple of weeks. She used to tumble around all the time, but her coach said she can do a couple of things and work on splits and strength at home, but that's it. So there's that. lol

It is great that your coach has given her those boundaries. Much safer. If she wants to work on something at home then stretching and handstands are great substitutes. Sounds like your in a good place. Hang on tight! It's quite the ride. Can't wait to follow her journey.

Just so you know, I've been a gym parent for 6 years and half the time, I still don't know what's going on! I've only joined Chalkbucket recently but have "lurked" for years and it's definitely helpful. If your gym is anything like ours (and many other people I know), they are generally not a fountain of information for parents. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back