Tramp/Tumble

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Eveningdew

Parent/Coach
I have 2 kids in T/T, ds 15 and dd 13. My dd changed from artistic after 7 years and enjoys the change! My ds has done recreational artistic with nothing for boys gymnastics. This opportunity opened up to them after we changed gyms. They went to their first meet last month and had fun.

We are in Region 6. Are there any other T/T parents/gymnasts out there??? :)

Yes - but we are in region 5 and do USTA and the occasional AAU meet. My dd competes sub-novice tumbling, but no tramp or DM - as our club doesn't offer either (and that DM scares the crap out of me!)

My dd also LOVES tumbling, though she is more concentrated toward artistic gymnastics. I really love USTA & AAU as it has allowed for my dd to be active in the meet scene while not being old enough to do sanctioned competitions through USAG. I think it's been a great experience for her. She is comfortable in front of the judges and with a large audience - which I think is great. Depending on the size of the meet, there can be tons of people at these tumbling meets, and sometimes the venue is quite large. The tumbling scene has really given her a chance to get used to that type of situation, so rather than focusing on the fact that there are a billion people in the stands, she can focus on her passes. And as far as that goes, I think it will be easier for her to adjust once she gets more into the gymnastics scene.

Tramp & tumbling mom here. My daughter (age 12) competes USTA/AAU which is what most of the state of Iowa competes. We have quite a few(9) meets scheduled in Iowa, plus AAU team trials in IL, then state, nationals (TX) and AAU Jr Olympics (IA) this season. I think she is currently ranked #1 in the state at Advanced level after our first two meets. I love watching tumbling, trampoline and double-mini at every level and could spend all day at the meets.

I guess you could call me a rec T/T-er. I'm not on team, not sure if I ever will be, but I do workouts with them and yeah, its a ton of fun! I just started so I can't do much yet but I'm a fast learner apparently :)

Our coach is looking to getting a DM...! The kids are both exited/unsure. Should prove to be fun. We are hosting 2 meets this year, including states for Region 6.

I also could sit and watch power tumbling all day long! When my dd did her first meet, 7 BHS just stunned her dad and I. It's hard to watch them at practice because the rod floor is in the back of the gym and other gymnasts get in the way. So this was a true treat for us.

We give HUGE KUDOS to our son who is just starting out in the world of T/T competition at the age of almost 15. He's very small for his age so it fools everyone.

DD scored out of trampoline at her first meet and took 1st place...WOW! and 3rd place on tumbling with .10 from scoring out. Our ds took 1st place in both events, he was the only one but you have to start somewhere and it was a huge morale boost for him.

We just went to a clinic in Dumfries VA this past weekend where one of the guys, Brandon English, tried out for the Olympic team...wow! That was cool to see and their coaching staff is top-notch. My dd came away with her whip for tumbling. DS got his BHS nice!

I like T/T as something supplemental to artistic or instead. Some kids just don't have a love to get really good at apparatus. Of course, you can get kids competing a lot sooner than otherwise in artistic.

I did USTA for YEARS, was training Advanced when I moved out of state. Loved it, too. I still have my AAU JO leotard from Illinois (and it still fits). Sometimes I miss it, and I liked how it took less time to get "really good" than WAG does. But I'd not have given up EITHER experience.

USTA nationals were some of the best weekends of my youth, too, and my one JOs was so full of memories. The stories I'll be able to tell my kids...

I also started coaching in USTA, and it was a less harsh intro to coaching than some of the stories I've heard from "newbies" at USAG meets. Everyone already knew me!

Last edited by a moderator:
plus AAU team trials in IL, then state, nationals (TX) and AAU Jr Olympics (IA) this season. I think she is currently ranked #1 in the state at Advanced level after our first two meets. I love watching tumbling, trampoline and double-mini at every level and could spend all day at the meets.

Congratulations to your dd for a great start to her season! That's a great accomplishment! I, too, could spend all day at these events and sometimes we do, as we have tumblers in every level from our gym that compete.

There are three girls from our gym doing trials this year. They are all STOKED about it. DD is like the little sister to these girls - talks about them daily, wants to tumble like them when she gets bigger. They are all just SO awesome with dd - treating her like she's family to them.

Anyway, we are also planing on AAU Jr Olympics and USTA Nationals this season (banking on that she qualifies - but, you never know). DD won a gold medal last season (2008 Jr. Olympics) in Detroit and had the best time ever. She's still talking about it and wears her Illinois leotard constantly. That leotard is like her medal of honor :cool:...it's cute that she's so attached to it!!!

Last edited:
We had our home tramp & tumbling meet this weekend. Most of the team did very well. My daughter placed first on trampoline (advanced level), first on double-mini )advanced level) and qualified ELITE on tumbling! I knew she had practicing, but to see her achieve it was very emotional! It was also an exhausting weekend and I'm ready for bed.

Congratulations to your daughter! First, First and qualifying Elite. I know you're so proud. Now get some rest. Parents expend so much energy when their kids are working hard.

Congratulations to you and her!!! That is fabulous!

We hosted a T/T meet this past weekend. Both son and daughter both took 1st place in each of their events. For my son, he is just starting out and at a kind of low level for his age, 15 but his scores are high so that's nice! My daughter has moved from Tramp L6 to L7 but somewhere along the way, they messed it up and she has been registered as a 6 even though she scores out at each meet...kind of silly. Her coach finally got it fixed for this meet but she competed 6 anyway.

We are trying to get my son to her tramp level, hence why she isn't mobilizing to L7 so they can do synch tramp. Both must be the same level and he's 1 behind her. That should be fun and both are looking forward to it. They are less than 2 years apart, small for their ages and look like identical twins.

I never knew this could be such a fun sport!!! :D

My daughter competed synch tramp for the first time at USTA Nationals in June with a teamate and placed 2nd. They competed at AAU Nationals in August and placed first. They both moved up to Advanced (L10?) and hopefully will compete together this year. Iowa only competes at the National level for synch. It's a lot of fun to watch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back