Parents Broken big toe - no improvement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momomik

Proud Parent
My daughter broke her big toe on a free hip drill.. the next day the orthopedic doc gave us a hard soled shoe to wear and said it should be fine in 4 weeks. That was 3 weeks ago!
After 4 days it hurt too much to walk in that shoe. The 2nd week we bought new boot to wear and that also didn't work so we returned to the doctor and were given a 10 day cast. Today we returned and the cast was removed. Doc said to wear the hard soled shoe for 2 weeks and then to go without it and walk with regular shoes.
Unfortunately, her toe hurt too bad to walk in the shoe after just 2 hrs of walking in it. The original diagnosis was a salter-harris type 1 fracture of the big toe. It was thought to be pretty minor but I'm worried now that they are missing something more serious. Should I push for an MRI or does this sound normal for big toe healing?

it should be fine in 4 weeks. That was 3 weeks ago!

So she has a bit to go! You’re expecting it to be ok a week before the dr says it will be. Recovery and prognosis isn’t an exact science and some people might have healed before the 4 weeks, some will take a little longer.

Don’t rush. Bear in mind if it’s been in a cast even if it’s healing fine it will get sore as things get moving again. Hard soles aren’t the most comfortable, even with no injury.

i’d give it a bit longer. Get her used to weight bearing and walking on it again. My own thoughts are to avoid painkillers so she can feel when it hurts, and only do as much up to when she feels pain. Then rest. Lots of wiggling her toes and point and flex.

Key is probably progress. If it isn’t getting any better, or it’s actually getting worse, back to the docs. If it is getting better, however slowly, patience and it will heal.

But don’t rush or overdo it. Better to take time off and heal completely now, than create a long term injury.

So she has a bit to go! You’re expecting it to be ok a week before the dr says it will be. Recovery and prognosis isn’t an exact science and some people might have healed before the 4 weeks, some will take a little longer.

Don’t rush. Bear in mind if it’s been in a cast even if it’s healing fine it will get sore as things get moving again. Hard soles aren’t the most comfortable, even with no injury.

i’d give it a bit longer. Get her used to weight bearing and walking on it again. My own thoughts are to avoid painkillers so she can feel when it hurts, and only do as much up to when she feels pain. Then rest. Lots of wiggling her toes and point and flex.

Key is probably progress. If it isn’t getting any better, or it’s actually getting worse, back to the docs. If it is getting better, however slowly, patience and it will heal.

But don’t rush or overdo it. Better to take time off and heal completely now, than create a long term injury.

That was exactly my thoughts.

My daughter wrenched her finger. It took months to completely heal. Those small appendages and bones take time.

Her broken foot healed much quicker.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back