WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This gap. I don't know the required dimensions of the gap (e.g. min or max) and am eagerly waiting on my COP to arrive to find out. Perhaps I am worrying for nothing and the gap will not be required so weaker vaulters could have the mat stack right up against the table, but there is a deduction for landing between the table and the mat stack so that implies to me that the gap is required. After all, if you as a coach thought your gymnast might land there, you certainly wouldn't set up the vault with a gap.
upload_2018-4-29_16-21-27.png

Hey guys, don't you do timers at practice anyway?

Yes... however... we have defined "timer" as something that is totally different than what is being explained in next years rules. What we do for "timers" is not possible at the competitions.

Or do you make your gymnasts to just flip the vault without doing any timers up to the mat stack at first?

Rarely do we vault up to a stack of mats anymore to learn a vault. We just perform the vault when we are ready. We go up to a mat stack once the vault is learned more often than for learning it.

How is doing timers at practice a good thing and doing timers at competition a bad thing?

We can't do our "timers" in a competition setting... just not possible.

I don't really get why you are so upset.

Who's upset?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a video they can point to as an example of what the level 7 vault will look like? Specifically the yurchenko timer? My dd will be level 7 next season and I'm just trying to understand what this looks like exactly. I have no idea if she is close to it or not.

I am confused (and grateful that DD is past these levels!). When she has done timers in warm ups at meets in both L8 and 9, they do them to a mat stack pushed up next to the table. They block and land on their back. Is this not what they will be doing? Also, why would you want them to land on their feet if the object of a timer is to get sufficient block that they can flip the vault well? IDK- my ignorance on vault is clearly showing now! LOL!

So the rumor around here is that all the optional levels will be changing significantly especially on bars and beam for the 2018 season. Like level 7 skills will now be required in level 6 and level 8 skills in level 7, etc. Since no one here is mentioning this, I hope it is not true! I have not experienced any big shift in skills change, is this something they would do with no warning? I would think they would give a year or so notice to help get the girls ready, but that is just me....

So the rumor around here is that all the optional levels will be changing significantly especially on bars and beam for the 2018 season. Like level 7 skills will now be required in level 6 and level 8 skills in level 7, etc. Since no one here is mentioning this, I hope it is not true! I have not experienced any big shift in skills change, is this something they would do with no warning? I would think they would give a year or so notice to help get the girls ready, but that is just me....
Goodness- I hope not!

I actually got hints of this from a coach last year. For the last year or so our team has been pushing upgrades in a huge way. Like our level sixes are working toe ons and twisting and our level 4s are all working giants and clear hip handstands. I said something in passing to my daughter’s coach last summer and he said something to the effect of “there are huge changes coming and things are going to get a lot harder so we want to make sure they are all ready”. Our level 4s hardly worked routines at all even during season this year so that they would be ready for the jump to 6 next season. Can’t say I know anything but this makes sense given what I have seen and heard.

They did this in T&T this year- made every level harder to the point that basically every level was a level harder than previously. They gave everyone a year notice though.

I think that shows the timers? Timers in competitions have been used here for years. Landing on feet has the lowest SV, landing on feet then falling back the middle and immediately to back has the highest. Some levels will do something with a mat stack, some with a mat stack as high as the table, some just have a mini trampoline and do a salto, and some have the mat stack lower than the table

This gap. I don't know the required dimensions of the gap (e.g. min or max) and am eagerly waiting on my COP to arrive to find out. Perhaps I am worrying for nothing and the gap will not be required so weaker vaulters could have the mat stack right up against the table, but there is a deduction for landing between the table and the mat stack so that implies to me that the gap is required. After all, if you as a coach thought your gymnast might land there, you certainly wouldn't set up the vault with a gap.
View attachment 7218

Thanks for explaining! I don't understand the set up at all. It doesn't look safe to me! Our set up is like in the Jard.the.gymnast's video. I don't understand why they want a gap in there? And why are the mats lower than the table?

I think that shows the timers? Timers in competitions have been used here for years. Landing on feet has the lowest SV, landing on feet then falling back the middle and immediately to back has the highest. Some levels will do something with a mat stack, some with a mat stack as high as the table, some just have a mini trampoline and do a salto, and some have the mat stack lower than the table

Here they have to land on their feet and then the judging stops. My DD had been training timers to her back and they’ve stopped doing that.

Here they have to land on their feet and then the judging stops. My DD had been training timers to her back and they’ve stopped doing that.
They don't have to, the harder start value is to miss their feet. Landing on feet has a 13.5 SV, landing on feet then fall flat is 14.0 SV and missing feet has a 14.5 SV. It is preferred to miss feet, it will probably result in a higher score. I find it strange USAG won't give options like that

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back