WAG New NCAA Recruiting Rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1. no gym will ever confirm a verbal commitment....
2. more often than not, girls end up where they verbal so it is worth "something"
3. i doubt that she or her parents mistakenly believed she was offered a full-ride scholarship as noted on her instagram
4. yea, it's crazy
5. new "rules" don't seem to be making a differences. will see this summer/fall and how many 2022 spots are offered verbally.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge BSU, just yet. Does anyone even know if this so-called committment is anything more than a starry-eyed gymnast saying something that then is blown out of proportion? I have seen many a gymnast say something like "I am going to go to xyz university" and that is then taken as a "verbal committment" when in fact it was nothing more that a child's dream. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming; but until I hear it from the school that they have a verbal'd an athlete I don't typically give it much weight.

I guess I will never understand how a school offers a full ride athletic scholarship to a 12 year old, when they are not allowed to talk to her. This is the most bizarre thing to me. So glad that boys do not have this issue!

I guess I will never understand how a school offers a full ride athletic scholarship to a 12 year old, when they are not allowed to talk to her. This is the most bizarre thing to me. So glad that boys do not have this issue!
Coaches are allowed to speak to gymnasts if the gymnast initiates the call.

I get that. I just wonder how that conversation goes..Gymnast calls randomly and the coach makes an offer? Coach sends word that they want to talk to gymnast? Smoke signals? LOL??

I get that. I just wonder how that conversation goes..Gymnast calls randomly and the coach makes an offer? Coach sends word that they want to talk to gymnast? Smoke signals? LOL??

I’ve seen parents on other gymnastics pages who say they have their kids call college coaches to talk after their meets and also email routines/scores.

There are no restrictions on coaches talking to other coaches (ie college to JO). That's how the word can get down they are open to the call.

I’ve seen parents on other gymnastics pages who say they have their kids call college coaches to talk after their meets and also email routines/scores.

Yes, I know. We do that too. I was just trying to figure out how they get a verbal. The kid calls the coach and coach just offers it? Seems odd. Seems like they are using "back doors" to get to teh gymnast. They would have to talk to the club coach to tell the club coach to have the girl call at X:XX and then they could do it. Seems like they are really using loopholes, adn while I know many stick with that, it is just wrong on so many levels.

Coaches are allowed to speak to gymnasts if the gymnast initiates the call.
As far as I understand, that is not true. The gymnast is not supposed to call the coach and vice versa. As well, I am with sks, how can they know they will still want the kid in 6 years?

I also feel really bad for the kids that follow the rules and wait, as shcool's have already made commitments to those who didn't.

As far as I understand, that is not true. The gymnast is not supposed to call the coach and vice versa. As well, I am with sks, how can they know they will still want the kid in 6 years?

I also feel really bad for the kids that follow the rules and wait, as shcool's have already made commitments to those who didn't.
Gymnast are absolutely aloud to call coach. Some are talking to coaches on a weekly basis. They are following the rules.

The only way this is going to change is if consequences are handed out, both to the college and the gymnast, for publicly announcing early commits/scholarships. It won't stop the recruiting, of course. It will go underground. But coaches might be more open to late bloomers since the commit announcements have not hit the public eyes, so no back lash on pulling out of a verbal commit.

A 12 year old just committed to Boise State. I imagine it's a pretty lose commit on the coaches end. Still a little crazy.
I think no matter how many rules and regulations are in place, coaches are going to find ways to work around them.

The kid hasn't even competed a level 10 meet and isn't exactly a phenom in level 9 ...she's decent enough, generally scoring in the 35-36 range with one 37 at regionals and is headed to Westerns for the first time, competed HOPES but nothing earth shattering there so call me crazy but I can't even fathom how discussion of any type of gymnastics scholarship came up, never mind was offered, with this resume....there has to be more to the story...Boise St is her "dream school" and she's from California so I'm thinking there's a family or coach connection because other than that, I'm not seeing it.

She may turn out to be the next Kupets but at her age and skill level, for me, the jury is still out.

I feel bad for those of you in the recruiting stages because you're probably thinking "huh? What is my level 10 , headed to JOs missing in this process" by looking at this "verbal" .... and granted, a lot can change in the next 6 years, but I really think this particular case is a real outlier in what is really going on in recruiting...level 9s aren't routinely being snatched up as 12 year Olds and hopefully the new recruiting rules will put a kibbosh on this behavior.

I feel for the kids involved in this. Of course they are excited as 12 years being offered a "full scholarship" or giving a verbal commitment, but how are they going to feel as high school juniors when they haven't lived up to expectations and the school says, "Sorry, find somewhere else." Then they are scrambling to find a school with a spot for them.
What's wrong with a coach just saying they are really interested in a kid and encouraging them to stay in touch without offering anything? I feel like that's a much safer bet for all parties involved. Child and parents know they have an "in," but also know they need to keep up the hard work and that things can change. Why do scholarship offers and commitments of any kind even need to be on the table for middle schoolers? I get that verbals are totally non-binding, but why is it necessary to even use that language at all? Why does a verbal need to even be a thing?

This might be the connection you are talking about:

http://www.insidegymnastics.com/news-features/mahleea-werline-artistry-articulated/

Neil Resnick is coach @ Boise State....

The kid hasn't even competed a level 10 meet and isn't exactly a phenom in level 9 ...she's decent enough, generally scoring in the 35-36 range with one 37 at regionals and is headed to Westerns for the first time, competed HOPES but nothing earth shattering there so call me crazy but I can't even fathom how discussion of any type of gymnastics scholarship came up, never mind was offered, with this resume....there has to be more to the story...Boise St is her "dream school" and she's from California so I'm thinking there's a family or coach connection because other than that, I'm not seeing it.

She may turn out to be the next Kupets but at her age and skill level, for me, the jury is still out.

I feel bad for those of you in the recruiting stages because you're probably thinking "huh? What is my level 10 , headed to JOs missing in this process" by looking at this "verbal" .... and granted, a lot can change in the next 6 years, but I really think this particular case is a real outlier in what is really going on in recruiting...level 9s aren't routinely being snatched up as 12 year Olds and hopefully the new recruiting rules will put a kibbosh on this behavior.

This might be the connection you are talking about:

http://www.insidegymnastics.com/news-features/mahleea-werline-artistry-articulated/

Neil Resnick is coach @ Boise State....

Bingo! That's it. And that's what frantic level 10s actually in the recruiting process aren't privy to....the back door connections of some of these early or puzzling commits.

We actually had an experience with something similar ..a school was heavily recruiting my daughter who had won at JOs and was a multi year successful 10 but "decided to go with X gymnast" who, it turns out, was coached by a relative of someone on the college coaching staff...and something we couldn't compete with....so we would've appreciated being told up front, but NCAA never does that so we were shaking our heads for a while, until someone heard the back story, and then it made sense...and I still root against said team that wasted my time!

There will be some just finishing 8th graders announcing commitments after JO's. Last summer there were about 25, would expect something similar. But there were only two just finishing 7th. They really are outliers.

apparently it was a misunderstanding between the coach + Boise's coach..

Attachments

• 31740096_10211475821796135_7446777128604925952_n.jpg
    31740096_10211475821796135_7446777128604925952_n.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 158
apparently it was a misunderstanding between the coach + Boise's coach..
I was just going to post this, I feel badly for the young girl though, she got some nasty comments on her IG before she removed it. It wasn't her fault, sounds like the fault should fall on her club coach for the miscommunication. I'm just trying to figure out how the club coach misunderstood something so big???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back