WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm terrified to see it in action. I don't want to know how many vaults I'm going to see where the gymnast ends up in the gap between the mat and the vault. Even worse would be landing on the mat and then falling into the gap. I predict the weakest vaulters will end up doing the tsuk timer (roundoff) because it will be the easiest of the three options. I don't know if they'll all have the same start value; I am guessing yes despite the fact that they shouldn't.

No, landing on the feet and the judging ends then with the exception of deductions for a step back on FHS or step forward on tsuk/yuri timer (note: I do not have all the deduction details, I just have a 1 page summary I saw). Gymnast may then roll out or a coach may touch them to stop movement/keep them from death. I believe timers to the back was the preferred option among professional members surveyed about the change (because that's how the timer should be done) but ruled out due to liability reasons.
Do you think you could share the deduction vale’s please?

Do you think you could share the deduction vale’s please?
The comment on the deduction for landing in the gap being less than the deduction for (more correctly if training to flip) missing one's feet and overrotating to the back on the stack/how terrified I was of the gap was based on a preview published on one of the state organization sites back in April.

Luckily, that was just a preview and before the code was finalized/released, that particular problem was removed by requiring the mat stack to be in contact with the table (i.e. no gap to fall into). So there is no deduction because it will take a particularly talented gymnast to find the non-existent gap.

I'm terrified to see it in action. I don't want to know how many vaults I'm going to see where the gymnast ends up in the gap between the mat and the vault. Even worse would be landing on the mat and then falling into the gap. I predict the weakest vaulters will end up doing the tsuk timer (roundoff) because it will be the easiest of the three options. I don't know if they'll all have the same start value; I am guessing yes despite the fact that they shouldn't.
I don't think there will be a gap. Every video I've seen of these vaults the mats are flush with the table. There shouldn't be a problem with that.

Reactions: sce
No clue... but they are allowed to fall to their back after landing on their feet without deduction ... however, they have to do it kind of like a trust fall (feet can't move) because steps ARE deducted.
I'm sure this was mentioned, but they can run, walk, fall, roll, do The Worm out of it, but as long as they land on the feet first, do not flip, and do not step, fall, run, bellyflop, dance a jig, or moonwalk toward the table. Happy competing everyone!

I don't think there will be a gap. Every video I've seen of these vaults the mats are flush with the table. There shouldn't be a problem with that.
Definitely, 100% no gap. That quote was from April, before the code came out.

Level 8 bars- Is a layout flyaway still an acceptable dismount, or does it need to be a double back or similar for full 10.0 start value?

Level 8 bars- Is a layout flyaway still an acceptable dismount, or does it need to be a double back or similar for full 10.0 start value?

For no deduction in the category "dismount up to competitive level," a level 8 gymnast needs a B dismount (flyaway full) or one or more B elements connected to an A dismount. So the typical giant, giant, layout flyaway is fine, since the A dismount is connected to B elements.

For no deduction in the category "dismount up to competitive level," a level 8 gymnast needs a B dismount (flyaway full) or one or more B elements connected to an A dismount. So the typical giant, giant, layout flyaway is fine, since the A dismount is connected to B elements.
Can they shoot front dismount? (not sure what it's called in the US but like this )

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what would be the deduction if someone did the L4 bars dismount rather than flyaway for L6? Am I right to assume that this is likely to be the most difficult skill for most new L6s? (Aside from the new vault- I can’t even let myself thing about that!)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what would be the deduction if someone did the L4 bars dismount rather than flyaway for L6? Am I right to assume that this is likely to be the most difficult skill for most new L6s? (Aside from the new vault- I can’t even let myself thing about that!)
I dn't know the deduction. The flyaway is also required for level 5, so, presumably, girls will have it by the time they get to level 6. My girl's coach has said that it is not the most difficult skill. Many kids are scared of it but it's easy to learn.

It is not counted as a skill ... which means they would not have a dismount (so gymnast would lose the SR with lowers the SV by 0.5 ... plus the extra swing deductions of, I think 0.3 or maybe only 0.1 or 0.2 for each extra swing). Starting this year, a salto dismount is the actual special requirement so they can do a flyaway or a front flyaway if they are afraid of back flipping.

I dn't know the deduction. The flyaway is also required for level 5, so, presumably, girls will have it by the time they get to level 6. My girl's coach has said that it is not the most difficult skill. Many kids are scared of it but it's easy to learn.

Thank you. I should have mentioned, I am Canadian, so we don’t need to score out of levels and our club usually goes right from L4 to L6.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back